PDA

View Full Version : Any Difference: Tungsten Balanced Film v. Using a Blue Filter?

chris jordan
26-Apr-2002, 12:58
I've noticed lately using tungsten balanced film at night, that the shadows end up with a bad blue cast in my scans. I wonder if using a daylight balanced film with the correct blue filter (what is the right filter by the way?) would produ ce better results? Anyone ever done a side-by-side?

~cj

dan nguyen
27-Apr-2002, 12:57
Chris... I don't have a lot of information but few experiences in the past with tungsten films and daylight films + filters...

With tungsten films you're locked in to one setting. With daylight films you can choose different degree of filtering using the 80A - 80B - 80C (blue filters)...It's depend on a lot factors...What I did is "try and miss" method... For your situation, I think that the tungsten films is too strong...try daylight films + weakest 80. filters..good luck

Ellis Vener
29-Apr-2002, 16:26
With tungsten films you're locked in to one setting.

Wrong!

You can modify the color response of 3200k balanced film with the full range of 81 and 85 ("warming") and 80 and 82 ("cooling") series of filters.

Struan Gray
2-May-2002, 11:35
If only the shadows are blue, that indicates a reciprocity failure mismatch between the colour layers. I doubt that things will improve with daylight film, especially once you add time for the filter factor.

Which tungsten film(s) are you using? Have you tried the duping films Edupe and CDU? They are slow, but designed specially for long exposures in dim light with little or no reciprocity mismatch.