PDA

View Full Version : Can this be used?

Jason_1622
15-Aug-2010, 10:51
Is there any practical use for the lens on this thing? I love taking old stuff and repurposing it!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pho/1895472543.html

Jason_1622
15-Aug-2010, 10:58
and speaking of craigslist deals, isn't this lens alone worth more than $100 they are asking for the lens and camera together? http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pho/1876333175.html

Sure, it's a basic 4x5 and the lens is not rare or super-great, but still... $100 total?!?

Gem Singer
15-Aug-2010, 11:32
A 4x5 Omega View with a 210 Schneider Symmar-S in a Copal 1 shutter for $100 is a bargain.

Grab it!

Walter Calahan
15-Aug-2010, 12:10
Sure, this is what I did with my Aero-Ektar 7" f/2.5 lens:

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/Blog/Entries/2007/6/7_Kodak_Aero-Ektar_7%22_(178mm)_f_2.5.html

Dan Fromm
15-Aug-2010, 13:13
Jason, Google will find many examples of 7"/2.5 Aero Ektars on 4x5 Speed Graphics. Walter's adaptation is uncommon. The lens' big limitation is that it is in barrel. Putting one in shutter would be expensive and I'm not sure there's a reasonably fast leaf shutter that it will fit. The largest I can think of, the Compound #5, goes only to 1/50.

If the lens is in very good order $65 isn't a bad price. If it is in good order.

Take Gem's advice, grab the Omega and Symmar-S, if it comes to that you should be able to sell the lens in shutter for usefully more than $100.

Jason_1622
15-Aug-2010, 16:06
Well, I'd want to sell the omega, too. I already have a cambo legend that I'm sure is better than the omega. Isn't the omega a sort of starter camera? I think I'll pass this link to some friends who want to get started in LF. They may enjoy the cheap starting price! Thanks...

Cletus
18-Aug-2010, 03:50
GEM - It sure is funny you should ask that question!! Have you ever been able to get in touch with that guy selling the Omega for $100? I live in Dallas and I saw the ad about two weeks ago. I have sent probably 4 or 5 emails asking about the camera and have had zero reply from the seller.

I thought it was a "too good to be true" offer and I'm reall;y curious to know if someone got through to this guy. By the way, I won't compete with you on it if you are in touch with him, I have already found my new 4x5. I got a nice Shen Hao outfit on the Bay with lens, holders and the whole works.

Gem Singer
18-Aug-2010, 08:10
Cletus,

I have no interest in the Omega 4x5 outfit on Craig's list.

Already have a pristine Toyo/Omega 45E outfit sitting in my photo closet that I need to sell.

I advised Jason to grab the 4x5 Omega and lens on Craig's list. At $100, it was a bargain. Obviously, it was too good to be true.

Andrew Plume
18-Aug-2010, 08:16
Is there any practical use for the lens on this thing? I love taking old stuff and repurposing it!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pho/1895472543.html

yes, as a historical item (imo) as opposed to something that's practical - i've seen a few of similar lenses, namely the Fairchild's around, which i believe were used by the late Bradford Washburn for some of his mountain shots, and

fwiw, there was a decent VC article on Brad W a few years back

andrew

Andrew Plume
18-Aug-2010, 08:17
A 4x5 Omega View with a 210 Schneider Symmar-S in a Copal 1 shutter for $100 is a bargain.

Grab it!

yep, it's the deal of the month and 'by a country kilometre' too

andrew

Wally
20-Aug-2010, 16:42
Well, I'd want to sell the omega, too. I already have a cambo legend that I'm sure is better than the omega. Isn't the omega a sort of starter camera? I think I'll pass this link to some friends who want to get started in LF. They may enjoy the cheap starting price! Thanks...

Many Toyo/Omegas are starter cameras, but I've got two Toyo/Omega D45M cameras, and would not call them starters. Geared rise and shift, the tilt is axis tilt, and it's a very rigid camera: I can bolt two rails together, and use three standards and two bellows to give me 800mm of bellows for extreme macro shots, and (if I give it ~5 seconds for vibrations induced by focusing to die down) the shots are razor sharp.

All Toyo/Omega studio cameras use compatible bellows and lens boards, but each model seems to have a different diameter rail, frustratingly enough.