PDA

View Full Version : Jobo CPA2/CPP2 or ATL1000/1500. Canīt make up my mind.

Lars Daniel
15-Aug-2010, 01:12
I have done quite a bit of research on these Joboīs but I still canīt make up my mind. So I will think out loud, and hope for some additional input.

My needs: 4x5, 120, 35mm. BW, C41, C6. Possibly prints in the future. I want to be able to make at least 8 4x5 in one go, with little fuss. I imagine that I will run the machine a couple of times per week. I want ease of use.

CPA2/CPP2: Takes the Expert drum. 10 sheets of optimum quality 4x5 development sounds good to me.

ATL1000/1500: The ease of automatic development sounds good to me.

Unsure about: Differences between machines in the whole workflow. Like how long does heating and mixing/filling bottles take. General ease of use.

Thanks for any input that might assist me in getting the processor that I will like the most.

Joanna Carter
15-Aug-2010, 01:56
I have an ATL1500.

Fill the bottles with chemistry.
Fill the tempering bath if it's not connected to a tempered water supply.
Load the film into the tanks.
Select the program.
Press the button.
Go and relax for around 30-45 mins.
Come back to fully developed and fixed film.
Remove from drums and dry.

The non-ATL machines require your constant attention, emptying and filling with chemistry and ensuring intermediate rinses are at the right temperature (critical for colour).

gari beet
15-Aug-2010, 03:53
I have a CPP2 and have also owned a CPE. I agree that the ALT processors require little or no attention I have to disagree that the non auto processors require constant attention. They need to be timed with a seperate timer but that's no real hardship, a standard darkroom timer can be programmed with each bath time in around 2 mins. I have a paterson, which counts down from whatever you set it too, 7.45 for my development, and will beep for a further minute when it reaches 00.00. I set all my times @ -1 min which then gives me time to go to the processor in the next room and be ready for when the timer stops beeping, 7.45...easy
The tempering bath is as accurate as an ATL one so the chemistry temp ting is a bit of a misnomer, the bath is usually around +1-2 degrees of the chemicals, just test with water one evening to verify, just adjust the settings until you are happy with the temp in the bottles. The CPP2 CPE and my DuoLab all have enough space to have tempered water in bottles for the rinses too, the only real critical temp is the first dev and rinse, after that you have a couple of degrees of leeway increasing toward the blix end.
I am writing this while actually processing film, go away when the timer calls, come back and write a little when I have done. So not that much constant attention.
It needs to be accurate for time and temp absolutley but you don't need a slide rule and a few emails to NASA either.

I would like an ATL, though they are expensive, but I get good results with the manual processors so there not the only way.

My 2 cents worth, hope it helps.
Gari

Eirik Berger
15-Aug-2010, 04:40
For my the most important question was: Does it take Expert drums?
Even if it meant that I had to watch over the machine during the process, I would not care. I donīt develop that much anyway.
I love the Expert drums; Even development almost does not use chemistry :)

Phil Hudson
15-Aug-2010, 04:59
If you can live without the total automation of the ATL machines then you have far greater flexibility over the processing steps if you use a CPA2/CPP2. This means that you can use non-standard chemistry, unlimited number of steps, different temperatures, etc.

You can also switch between processes with minimal or no cleaning or wait since there are hardly any internal parts that come in contact with the chemistry.

For me the decision would be whether you want to run lots of regular processes, or fewer "bespoke" film runs.

Both options are excellent in their own ways.

Keith Tapscott.
15-Aug-2010, 05:00
I want to be able to make at least 8 4x5 in one go, with little fuss.

CPA2/CPP2: Takes the Expert drum. 10 sheets of optimum quality 4x5 development sounds good to me.I think you have answered your own question. ;)

Lars Daniel
15-Aug-2010, 05:42
Ok, I hear my inner voice now says "go for the Expert drum, - you know you want the best".

Speaking of the Expert drums, I often see reference to the 3010, but what are the differences to the other 30xx drums?
And say, I get the CPP2/CPA2, exactly what drums do I want for 35mm and 120? I would like to take full advantage of the lenght of the processor and go for the max number of 35/120 rolls.

Sirius Glass
15-Aug-2010, 06:10
I just got a CPA 2 and a CPP 2. I will process 35mm, 120, and 4x5 black & white and C41. I am still setting up and I have a 1500 tank with 1501 reels, a 3010 Expert Drum and a 2850 print drum.

The other drums are for:
3004 4 sheets 7x9.5 inches 18x24cm to 8.9x12.3 inches 22.6x33cm
3005 5 sheets 5x7 inches 13x18cm to 8x10 inches 20x25cm
3006 6 sheets 3.5x4.7 inches 9x12cm to 5x7 inches 13x18cm
3010 10 sheets 3.5x4.7 inches 9x12cm 0r 4x5 inches 10x12.7cm

I hope that helps.

I have a CPA 2 and a stainless steel 1502 35mm reel to sell when I can post ads.

Steve

Lars Daniel
15-Aug-2010, 07:17
Thanks Steve. So indeed it is the 3010 I want then.

BTW: What changes did Jobo make going from CPA to CPA2. Or in other words: Is the CPA also recommendable for my needs?