PDA

View Full Version : Rear lens cap source for 1:6.8 Angulon

bbuszard
14-Aug-2010, 16:10
A cry for help: browsing through the old threads it sounds like the rear opening on an Angulon is 26mm on the inside. That matches what I estimate myself. The only problem is that I haven't been able to locate one that size from any of my normal sources. Does anyone have a suggestion where I might find one?

Side question: are the 40.5mm threads on the front (and on the Fujinon 150mm 1:8) identical with those on Leica ltm lenses? I'm using snap caps for now but would prefer to backpack 'em with something more secure.

Many thanks for any advice you might offer.

Brian Stein
14-Aug-2010, 18:44
A quick flick through my usual sources finds no cap of that size, although it seems about right for a video camera lens.
If you want a cap that is not a home made push on one (35mm film cannister might be about the right size to start with) your best bet might be a step up ring to a more regular size. Alternatively look at the outer diameter and see if there is anything commercially available as a slip on.

Brian Ellis
14-Aug-2010, 18:59
I don't know where you're located but if you're in the U.S. Schneider Optical sells (or used to sell, I haven't checked lately) front lens caps for all their lenses, I've bought several through them. I assume they also sell rear caps. You might give them a try if you haven't already.

Richard Wasserman
14-Aug-2010, 19:05
A couple years ago I bought a Schneider plastic slip-on cap from B&H for the rear of a 90mm Angulon. I simply measured the outside diameter of the rear threaded barrel and ordered a cap to fit. Sorry I don't remember what sized it was.

bbuszard
14-Aug-2010, 19:20
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I just checked Schneider Optical and their offerings skip from 24mm to 27mm, both slip-on. I suppose the Angulon is too old for them to stock spares.

As for the slip-on caps, I didn't think they would stay put: my Angulon has almost nothing to grab onto on the outside. Is that also the case with yours, Richard? If so and yours works well for you, perhaps I should give it a try.

Oren Grad
14-Aug-2010, 19:25
B&H also covers a lot of the in-between sizes with Kaiser caps. I've fit all sorts of odd lenses with these. It's usually possible to find a slip-on that will work well, either as is or with a couple of scraps of tape inside the rim.

Richard Wasserman
14-Aug-2010, 20:26
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I just checked Schneider Optical and their offerings skip from 24mm to 27mm, both slip-on. I suppose the Angulon is too old for them to stock spares.

As for the slip-on caps, I didn't think they would stay put: my Angulon has almost nothing to grab onto on the outside. Is that also the case with yours, Richard? If so and yours works well for you, perhaps I should give it a try.

The cap I used was a snug enough fit that it held tightly to the short amount of exposed thread and I never had a problem with it. I'm sorry I don't know what size it was, but I do know it was a Schneider.

Bob Salomon
15-Aug-2010, 02:10
Kaiser makes push-on lens caps in most sizes including; 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32,33, 34mm, etc. You can buy these from any camera store in the USA. These are the German made plastic caps and have a list price of $10.99.

When comparing lens threads you need to know the diameter (40.5) and the pitch (0.5, 0.75, 1.0 etc)

bbuszard
15-Aug-2010, 18:51
OK, thanks to everyone. I'll get a push-on cap and see how it grabs me (and the lens).

John Koehrer
15-Aug-2010, 21:01
If it's that tight, why not build something similar to a shutter on a pinhole camera?
Just swing it out of the way to use the lens.

bbuszard
23-Aug-2010, 17:17
OK, the results are in. The 32mm slip-on cap is a good fit for the rear of the Angulon. The 40.5mm thread on the front of my copy is a bit dodgy with a screw-in Leica-style LTM cap, but works well enough for me.

The back of the Fujinon 150mm is a touch bigger, so I think I'll get a 33mm cap for that one. My thanks to everyone for the advice.