PDA

View Full Version : Friends in greater Boston

sully75
13-Aug-2010, 08:03
Hello all,

Who's around in Boston or otherwise? I'm in Somerville. Mostly interested in portraiture, not so interested in hiking around. But would like to have some LF chums. Get to Maine fairly frequently and lately I'm interested in Providence too.

Ken Lee
13-Aug-2010, 08:42
I'm in Western Mass, around 1.5 hours away...

...but my cap says "Maine" :cool:

Steve Goldstein
13-Aug-2010, 09:37
I'm in North Reading. More interested in outdoors stuff, not much experience with portraiture. Lighting is a black art as far as I know :)

jnantz
13-Aug-2010, 11:32
im south of providence

jp
13-Aug-2010, 11:51
If you're near Midcoast Maine (Rockland area) sometime, I'm up for anything LF.

eddie
15-Aug-2010, 08:57
NY. just south of albany. about 3.5 hours from boston. we get out and shoot LF most every Saturday. sometimes we head east.

e

gene LaFord
15-Aug-2010, 16:09
I am in Springfield... trudging around woods and lakes is more my style. Not good at portraits.

gene

David Schaller
16-Aug-2010, 09:15
I'm in Williamstown, and up for anything.

Dave

Jeremy Graves
3-Dec-2010, 07:29
I'm in Westborough, MA about an hour from Boston. I do mostly landscape work but am up for anything LF related.

Moopheus
3-Dec-2010, 09:34
Currently in Cambridge; I lived in Somerville also for some years. Have an old Speed Graphic that I have promised to take out more frequently next year.

Navy Moose
1-Mar-2011, 20:18
I'm in Merrimack, NH and I'd like to meet other large format shooters.

Marco Polo
2-Mar-2011, 17:50
I'm in Cranston, RI, near Providence.

Andrew Barr
12-Mar-2011, 22:10
On the Cape....will travel (Boston and south...) LF architecture and landscapes

BillA
13-Mar-2011, 16:41
Hi Navy Moose, I'm only a few miles away in Manchester. I don't know how interesting I would be, however, as I'm a true beginner and have yet to find more than an hour at a time to sneak away from my job and kids to shoot.

corgan4321
29-Mar-2011, 12:41
I'm in Newton/Boston.

Andrew Barr
5-Apr-2011, 12:34
A group of us are meeting May 7th at Ellisville State Park...just south of Plymouth, MA. We could walk down to the beach providing nice vistas of the salt marsh to the south and dunes to the north. A place called the Blueberry Muffin is on Rt 3a and is where we could meet and have breakfast... Map here http://bit.ly/i3zy5u You'd take exit 2 off of Rt. 3, head north a few hundred feet and take a left onto Rt 3A. the restaurant is just up on the left in a plaza across from Dunkin. The Park is north of that by a couple miles...but please pencil in this date.... Send me a note if you're interested in joining us.... abarrphoto@gmail.com

Bruce Barlow
5-Apr-2011, 13:20
Southwestern NH - beautiful Swanzey.

davehyams
21-Aug-2011, 11:03
Quick bump, as I am moving to Boston with the hordes of other students on the first of September. Would love to meet up with anyone to talk shop, and hear some of the things Boston has to offer a large format photographer. Looking forward to any info or advise one has.

Noah B
25-Nov-2012, 20:33
Long awaited bump, I'm in Somerville and if anyone would like to meet for lunch and look at prints and/or cameras I'm always interested to see new pictures.

mikezvi
26-Nov-2012, 09:26
oh hey cool! I'm here too, in Harvard Square.

Noah B
2-Dec-2012, 03:16
Awesome! What kind of pictures/photographers do you like?

mlatterich
2-Dec-2012, 06:09
Hello all,

Who's around in Boston or otherwise? I'm in Somerville. Mostly interested in portraiture, not so interested in hiking around. But would like to have some LF chums. Get to Maine fairly frequently and lately I'm interested in Providence too.

Belmont here about two weeks each month.

mlatterich
2-Dec-2012, 06:10
Belmont here.

Johnny Arguedas
30-Jan-2013, 13:57
Hey guys,

I'm in Brighton and just joined the forum. I've been irregularly shooting with my 4x5 for a long time and I've been meaning to do more work with it. I tend to shoot nighttime urban landscapes and portraits.

Noah B
4-Feb-2013, 22:16
What would you guys think about meeting up for pictures and a beer one day?

davehyams
6-Feb-2013, 07:24
Im in boston and would be up for a beer, not shooting a ton of LF right now but will be doing so in a week once my silver is sorted out. let me know.

Robert Budding
8-Feb-2013, 19:37
I'm in Arlington, but I'm starting a project in New York this week, so I'll only be home on weekends.

Carl J
8-Feb-2013, 19:59
Acton, but come into Cambridge each day for work.

Just down in NYC yesterday checking out exhibits of platinum prints by Kenro Izu (14x20 contacts) and George Tice (20x24 enlargements from 8x10), as well as 11x14 contacts on silver gelatin by Nicholas Nixon. Fairly different in LF sensibility, but all compelling in their own way.

Noah B
9-Feb-2013, 17:54
Carl, I just checked out some of Kenro Izu's pictures, they're terrific! I've never heard of his work until today, I'd love to make a trip down and see them. How'd you guys fair in the snow yesterday? When is good for people to meet?

thomasfallon
9-Feb-2013, 19:02
Quite a nest of you guys. Who knew. I'm in Portland, ME. 32 inches of snow, but I survived.

Carl J
10-Feb-2013, 12:48
Hi Noah,

Kenro Izu is up through Feb. 23 at Harold Greenberg: www.howardgreenberg.com

You can still make it!

Not sure of any 'best' time to meet, but for me sometime during the work week?

BTW, I see you're interested in 11x14.

sdynes
18-Feb-2013, 21:26
I'm here in Concord. Pictures and pilsner sounds fine.

nimo956
7-Mar-2013, 13:09
I'm in Medford.

StoneNYC
7-Mar-2013, 15:27
I'm in CT but travel to Boston often, however I have everything but the body for a LF so... I can't hang... Yet :/ lol

john borrelli
9-Mar-2013, 17:55
I thought I'd add my name to the mix. I'm in Mass., work in Belmont. I'll view this thread from time to time. Just getting back to LF after a time with 35mm and mf film cameras.

StoneNYC
10-Mar-2013, 00:20
Oh, if anyone has a spare 4x5, and would let me borrow on a group outing I have film and holders as mentioned. Just throwing it out there.

EdSawyer
10-Mar-2013, 07:49
I am in Seacoast NH area, would be up for a boston area get-together.

Ken Lee
10-Mar-2013, 08:33
Although the original poster suggested a gathering for portraiture, may I suggest something outdoors ?

Since nobody lives east of Boston (because it's on the Atlantic Ocean), perhaps somewhere west of town would be easier to reach for many.

When I lived in the area I used to visit the Minuteman National Park (http://www.nps.gov/mima/index.htm) in Lincoln: it's very photogenic all times of year, there is no charge to visit, there are public washrooms and plenty of free parking. I can post a few photos from there if anyone is interested.

Another location - I've never been there - would be Old Sturbridge Village (http://www.osv.org/). It is located off the Massachusetts Turnpike in the middle of the state (closer to New York but an hour from Boston maximum). It is a business and they charge over $20 a day to visit. Perhaps someone can recommend or condemn it as a suitable location for Large Format photographers. I can contact the place and make enquiries if there is some interest.

There are countless other locations - including parts of Boston itself - but parking may be inconvenient. If you have any suggestions, fire away !

I will be happy to coordinate.

john borrelli
10-Mar-2013, 13:37
Hi Ken, Another area north of Boston is Rockport Mass. For people who don't know, it's touristy, it's out of the way for sure but there is some color there for outdoor color photography this time of year, there's textures in old buildings for black and white, a few minutes up from there is Halibut State Park which is an old quarry by the sea. The area is not Yosemite but there's parking (busy on weekends) and there are cafes to in Rockport to help stay warm. Perhaps we'll get a list of ideas from people. All the best to everyone, John

Ken Lee
10-Mar-2013, 14:41
Excellent !

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/rockport.jpg

Yes, I've been to Rockport MA (http://www.rockportusa.com/), and it's lovely. On a weekday morning things would probably be fairly calm there, no ? The quarry sounds great too.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/marblehead.jpg

Another place of interest if you like old buildings (old by North American standards) is Marblehead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marblehead,_Massachusetts). Although it's known for its harbor and boats, there are lots of little back streets with unique views and changing light all the time. Not an easy place to park a lot of vehicles though.

One thing to consider is that we don't need a huge turnout.

JWebb
10-Mar-2013, 15:51
Marblehead has lots of opportunities.

From the old town and little side streets, Boat yard in Littles harbor, Lobster pots, Sail lofts, the harbor itself which during the summer is wall to wall sailboats, Reds pond and the old burial cemetery that overlooks the harbor. Fort Sewell, Crocker park that give you some of the best views of the harbor and on clear days views of downtown Boston. Across from the old town on the opposite side of the harbor is Marblehead neck, the Sanctuary, Eastern and Corinthian Yatch clubs are some of the oldest in the country, Chandler park and the Marblehead lighthouse. Lots of cliffs and interesting tidal pools.

I grew up on Marblehead Neck in the 60' leaving in early 70's, I returned with my wife about 5 years ago staying at a B&B on Front street by FT Sewell. Probably one of the most relaxing vacations that we ever spent.

Plenty of photo opportunities abound.

john borrelli
11-Mar-2013, 14:58
Nice work, as always,Ken.

I just dropped off a couple of E6 exposures to Dorian's for processing. One of Nahant and one of Rockport. Just testing this new to me Wisner 4X5. I'll stay posted guys. You guys are right about Marblehead as well. I've taken a few shots from the park with the funky lighthouse. There's a good view from there back to Marblehead or to the Yacht club close by. Might be better there in the warmer weather as the boats fill up the bay at that time. All the best, John

Ken Lee
11-Mar-2013, 15:02
Sorry, I found those photos on the web. :-)

Here's one from Marblehead, just as the sun was setting over that little harbor near the old fort.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/marbleheadboy.jpg
Marblehead MA, 2003
Arca Swiss Discovery, 240mm Fujnon A
4x5 TMY, D-76

Ken Lee
11-Mar-2013, 17:00
According to this table (http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/boston-massachusetts.html), daylight in the Boston area at this time of year is from around 6:30 AM to 7:30 PM in Boston area.

Because it's still late winter, the light is angular after around 2 PM, so if I were to go somewhere for photos I would arrive around that time, shoot for a while, get some refreshment, and then make the trip home.

If we just picked a Saturday or Sunday (like this weekend or next) and the weather on that day is favorable, would anybody like to attend ?

No commitment is necessary, but weather permitting I'd commit to that date so there would be at least one person in Marblehead or Minuteman National Park, depending on where people want to go.

It should be pointed out that this sort of informal gathering is a great way to exchange creative ideas, see other people's equipment and how/what/when they shoot.

sdynes
11-Mar-2013, 19:53
Another outdoor place might be Wachusett dam in Clinton - I've not been there in a few years, but it has lots of visually interesting stuff. I recall it also has a lot of steps...

Johnny Arguedas
12-Mar-2013, 04:37
I'm game if we pick a Sunday since I tend to work on Saturdays. Can't do this weekend though, so perhaps the 24th, 31st or 7th?

john borrelli
12-Mar-2013, 14:44
Weather can be an issue this time of year of course but I'm game too. Weekends are good for me as well.

Phong
14-Mar-2013, 19:39
I am in MA a couple of weeks a month, usually in the Acton/Concord area, and would certainly join for a shoot or a shot.

Noah B
14-Feb-2014, 18:30
Hey all, trying to revive this thread a little bit. Anybody in MA want to plan a meet up in the next month or so? I'd love to look at some prints and have a pint or two.

StoneNYC
15-Feb-2014, 06:15
Hey all, trying to revive this thread a little bit. Anybody in MA want to plan a meet up in the next month or so? I'd love to look at some prints and have a pint or two.

What no shooting?

Ken Lee
15-Feb-2014, 06:45
We met in late October out in western mass. At this time of year the weather is a bit challenging.

Carl J
15-Feb-2014, 10:06

Hi Noah, anyplace in particular you have in mind? I can always drink a ginger ale or something.

Steve Goldstein
15-Feb-2014, 10:15
The next month or so is pretty busy, but after that would be ok for me.

StoneNYC
15-Feb-2014, 14:17
Hi Noah, anyplace in particular you have in mind? I can always drink a ginger ale or something.

I'll join you for the ginger ale

David Schaller
15-Feb-2014, 17:59
Yeah, Spring sometime would be good. I'm in Western Mass. so that's better for me. Middle of the state?
Dave

StoneNYC
15-Feb-2014, 18:10
Yeah, Spring sometime would be good. I'm in Western Mass. so that's better for me. Middle of the state?
Dave

Western mass (Northampton) is such a beautiful area, I would rather meet there for shooting than for drinking... Lol

Ray Drueke
16-Feb-2014, 09:32
Hi,
I'm in Little Compton RI, most southeasterly town in RI, but can travel with no problem - I like driving. I really need to use the 4x5 camera I built and I need help with some new (to me) lenses. I have a 135mm and a 285mm meniscus with a Packard shutter, neither of which I've ever used. I also have a 210mm that I've made maybe 8 images with. I'd really like to do some images 'in Galli style' with the 285.

Ginger ale (or tonic water) is good for me as well.

Ray.

StoneNYC
16-Feb-2014, 10:32
Hi,
I'm in Little Compton RI, most southeasterly town in RI, but can travel with no problem - I like driving. I really need to use the 4x5 camera I built and I need help with some new (to me) lenses. I have a 135mm and a 285mm meniscus with a Packard shutter, neither of which I've ever used. I also have a 210mm that I've made maybe 8 images with. I'd really like to do some images 'in Galli style' with the 285.

Ginger ale (or tonic water) is good for me as well.

Ray.

I can "help" you with those lenses... ;) hah!

Once I have a stable job I would love to organize a meet up.

dodphotography
2-Mar-2014, 20:12
I live in Littleton (near concord) MA... Would love to meet some new like minded people!

Carl J
3-Mar-2014, 11:58
I'm right down the road (from Littleton) in Acton. :)

sdynes
3-Mar-2014, 13:00
I'm right down the road from Littleton and Acton in Concord

dodphotography
3-Mar-2014, 16:28
Small world! Coffee sometime? What formats do you shoot?

Carl J
3-Mar-2014, 16:55
Was it you who mentioned using the MIT student darkroom (with 8x10 enlarger)? Using an Epson scanner for now but hope to do some darkroom work soon.

Mostly 8x10, but also some 5x7. Waiting for an 11x14 Century to come back from Richard Ritter (who's done some updates, including building a new rear extension). I keep telling myself to load up my 4x5 holders but so far it's just been much easier to process 8x10, and to a lesser degree 5x7, in Unicolor drums on a motorized base, so.... ;) Also some 6x7, which I'd like to do more of.

What about you?

dodphotography
3-Mar-2014, 17:00
No, that was not me.

I'm shooting 8x10 for wet plate... But primarily 4x5 for film. I have lenses to shoot 8x10 but right now not enough $$$ for a proper 8x10 rig now. Looking for the right deal.

StoneNYC
4-Mar-2014, 08:05
Was it you who mentioned using the MIT student darkroom (with 8x10 enlarger)? Using an Epson scanner for now but hope to do some darkroom work soon.

Mostly 8x10, but also some 5x7. Waiting for an 11x14 Century to come back from Richard Ritter (who's done some updates, including building a new rear extension). I keep telling myself to load up my 4x5 holders but so far it's just been much easier to process 8x10, and to a lesser degree 5x7, in Unicolor drums on a motorized base, so.... ;) Also some 6x7, which I'd like to do more of.

What about you?

Those MIT guys have it made... They also work harder than any other students but damn they've got all the stuff they could want on any field it's insane. All of my MIT friends have graduated... So no access to anything there, but I just want a damn MIT email and server space, they have the largest ownership of the web, bigger than the US governments share! Lol

sdynes
4-Mar-2014, 08:48
I am the one who posted about using one of MIT's darkrooms (the Student Art Assn. darkroom). MIT will let pretty much anyone take a course that comes with darkroom use; after you've taken a course you can take 'independent study' which allows you 24/7 (excepting class times) use of the darkroom w/o taking a course. Check out http://arts.mit.edu/saa/photography/ for a list of courses. One of the instructors (Therry Mislick) shoots 8x10 exclusively.

The darkroom does have a lot of stuff, but not everything - for instance they don't have a registered mask holder for 4x5, and there's no facility in the darkroom to scan 4x5 negs. But - if you want to print 20x24 paper with F130 (or mix your own chemicals from scratch), you can do that.

It is quite nice.

Toyon
4-Mar-2014, 10:01
I've thought about starting an analog LF group in Cambridge area. PM if you are a darkroom and LF user.

dodphotography
4-Mar-2014, 10:05
Tried PM'ng you... Your inbox is full.

Toyon
4-Mar-2014, 13:55
Tried PM'ng you... Your inbox is full.
whoops sorry. I made some room.

StoneNYC
4-Mar-2014, 16:52
Driving up to boston tomorrow... Anyone free after 2??? :)

Carl J
4-Mar-2014, 17:14
That intro to gum bichromate class (on the web site) looks interesting. Thanks for the link, don't know if I saw that last time I checked.

I am the one who posted about using one of MIT's darkrooms (the Student Art Assn. darkroom). MIT will let pretty much anyone take a course that comes with darkroom use; after you've taken a course you can take 'independent study' which allows you 24/7 (excepting class times) use of the darkroom w/o taking a course. Check out http://arts.mit.edu/saa/photography/ for a list of courses. One of the instructors (Therry Mislick) shoots 8x10 exclusively.

The darkroom does have a lot of stuff, but not everything - for instance they don't have a registered mask holder for 4x5, and there's no facility in the darkroom to scan 4x5 negs. But - if you want to print 20x24 paper with F130 (or mix your own chemicals from scratch), you can do that.

It is quite nice.

Noah B
9-Mar-2014, 20:10
Hey gang, I'd be down for shooting around Northampton/Amherst. I just went to Lexington/Concord the other day, still full of snow. Weekends are usually good for me, interested in seeing everyones prints!

Is anyone interested in getting some kind of community darkroom started up in the next few months? I'd like to be able to print every once in awhile and meet some new cats.

StoneNYC
9-Mar-2014, 22:24
Whoops, I meant ...

Someone started a new one, we should combine them...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=111738