PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a 6 3/8" Kodak Anastigmat?

Shen45
12-Aug-2010, 00:49
Do you have any images to share from the above lens? Or experiences. -- with the lens :)

Steve

Fotoguy20d
12-Aug-2010, 07:56
Steve,

Virtually all of the kodak anastigmats are good performers. I don't remember now which one of these lenses is on my 3x4 Graflex Series D - I think it's the 32, which is the 6 3/8" focal length. I've also use the 33, which is the 190mm-ish one. Those are tessar type lenses. They don't have huge coverage, and they're uncoated, but good contrast and reasonably sharp. One of my favorite lenses for 4x5 is the 203mm Kodak Anastigmat f7.7 - it's a dialyte type, similar to the very highly regarded 203mm Ektar.

Dan

BrianShaw
12-Aug-2010, 08:15
I use a 5 1/2 Kodak Anastigmat lens (# 31). I concur with Dan that "They don't have huge coverage, and they're uncoated, but good contrast and reasonably sharp." No images to share, though, right now. A decent lens hood is essential to getting that good performance.

Lynn Jones
12-Aug-2010, 13:23
Hi Steve,

It was a 4 element tessar type lens of excellent quality covering about 56 degrees, great contrast making terrific images. I don't think Kodak ever redesigned that lens as an Ektar, however, at Claumet and Ilex, we redesigned them as the 165mm (6 3/8") Caltar f6.3 with Seikosha Rapid shutters of incredible quality.

Lynn

Jim Galli
12-Aug-2010, 13:54
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Goldfield/GfldOlds54.jpg
'54 olds, goldfield, nv

I only used it once. The elements fit in a Compur 1. I haven't even seen the elements in a long time. I thought it gave a look similar to the illustrations in a WWII training manual. Like pre WWII textbooks. After I use all the lenses once, maybe I'll start on round 2. Could be a while.

Shen45
12-Aug-2010, 18:18
Thank you to everyone who replied. I will soon have one in a Supermatic 3 so "maybe" I will be able to post an image myself. From your image Jim the lens certainly has a smooth yet sharp look. something I'm partial to. The wealth of knowledge both present and historical on the forum is great.

Steve