PDA

View Full Version : help with Mac G4

Andrea Gazzoni
11-Aug-2010, 23:51
while playing with settings on this old perfectly running Mac G4 (OS 9.2) I've set the display resolution to 1600x1200 and it is all black now.
I guess either the lcd display or the video card doesn't support the resolution, the display has no input signal. I've tried near anything, from rebooting to using the software restore disk..no chance to get back.
Stupid me...any idea on how to enter settings and restoring a lower resolution?
thank you so much

Ken Lee
12-Aug-2010, 05:01
Borrow a newer/larger monitor, and you will be able to restore the settings.

Henry Ambrose
12-Aug-2010, 05:31
Start it with extensions off. (I think)

David Aimone
12-Aug-2010, 05:39
A PRAM reset might do it.

Step 1
Shut down your computer.

Step 2
Locate the following key combination on your keyboard before you reset the pram:
Command (Apple), Option, P, and R. It is best to know exactly where they are on the keyboard, as you will need to find them quickly for step 3.

Step 3
Push the restart button on your Mac. Listen for the start-up chimes. When you hear them, immediately hold down the Command, Option, P and R keys simultaneously. This operation requires using positioning four fingers in a semi-awkward position.

Step 4
Continue to hold down the keys until you hear the start-up chimes repeat for the second time, then release the keys.

Read more: How to Reset PRAM in Mac G4 | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5985817_reset-pram-mac-g4.html#ixzz0wOXY4Vx6

jonathan_lipkin
12-Aug-2010, 07:03
You might have to reset the PRAM more than twice - ie let it go for seven chimes.

Andrea Gazzoni
17-Aug-2010, 02:37
thank you all, but nothing worked... in a bad attempt to restore the defaults I think I've erased the hard disk or a good half of it... now I am looking for a spare copy of OS 9 to install (anybody has one to sell?)
:(