PDA

View Full Version : Road Trips! Model A's and 8X10 Kodak, heliar vss cooke

Jim Galli
11-Aug-2010, 20:10
A page (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/1929_Phaeton/Glens1929/glens_'29.html) just for fun of things done on a road trip to retrieve a black on black Model A Ford roadster. Other than a steam locomotive, this car has to be the best b&w subject matter on earth!

Other than the one shot with a 12" Petzval, everything done was with two classic anastigmats. A series IV Cooke of 13" and a Voigtlander Heliar 14". Both are gorgeous lenses. Just simple straight forward stuff. Hope you enjoy a look.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/1929_Phaeton/Glens1929/glens_'29.html

Hugo Zhang
11-Aug-2010, 20:34
Jim,

I want to see more pictures from this trip! Where are the rest?

Gorgeous car and gorgeous pictures!!

Hugo

goamules
11-Aug-2010, 20:34
Man, I'd give up a lot of lenses to get a model A like that. Always wanted one. Got mules instead. So far....

Richard K.
11-Aug-2010, 20:39
Like, just approximately, what does something like that cost Jim? i have some Ansel glass plates to trade...:D
Nice photos!

Robert Fisher
11-Aug-2010, 21:41
Jim, lovely photos and story. Thanks for posting!

eddie
12-Aug-2010, 03:22
awesome as usual.

so what is that other car in the garage in the back ground? (nevada home base pic)

John Bowen
12-Aug-2010, 04:30
Jim,

I always thought a Model A was a referrence to a Ries Tripod ;-)

Jim Galli
12-Aug-2010, 06:10
Thanks for all the nice comments.

The other car is the one I photographed here (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/The1940FordPortraits.html) about 5 years ago.

The Model A is insured for $18K replacement cost.

One little funny story, it overheats and boils over in about 6 blocks of driving. Needs the radiator boiled out. Glens 17 year old daughter corrected us and informed us that the car was a boy. I said I can prove it's a girl. She looked astonished. How?? It gets all steamed up and boils over for no apparent reason I said.

Tom Schaefer
12-Aug-2010, 07:25
Great stuff
Thanks for sharing
Tom

Scott Walker
12-Aug-2010, 07:55
Great images & beautiful cars, the coup looks like it should be sitting at a drag strip

jb7
12-Aug-2010, 08:19
Great set- looks historic already-

Daniel_Buck
12-Aug-2010, 11:29
How is your car coming along Jim?

Jim Galli
12-Aug-2010, 11:32
How is your car coming along Jim?

Doh!! I'm too busy playing with cameras and other peoples cars to get anything done on mine. Know anyone with an oxy-acetylene outfit for sale?

cdholden
12-Aug-2010, 19:38
Jim,
When you shoot with diffused focus optics, do you focus first or set diffusion first?
Does the order of operation even matter?
Thanks.
Chris

Thanks for all the nice comments.

The other car is the one I photographed here (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/The1940FordPortraits.html) about 5 years ago.

The Model A is insured for $18K replacement cost.

One little funny story, it overheats and boils over in about 6 blocks of driving. Needs the radiator boiled out. Glens 17 year old daughter corrected us and informed us that the car was a boy. I said I can prove it's a girl. She looked astonished. How?? It gets all steamed up and boils over for no apparent reason I said.

Jim Galli
12-Aug-2010, 20:41
Jim,
When you shoot with diffused focus optics, do you focus first or set diffusion first?
Does the order of operation even matter?
Thanks.
Chris

Hi Chris. I set the diffusion first, then focus. Yes, it matters as the diffusion on some of them actually changes the focal length slightly. Wolly Velostigmats for instance.

cdholden
13-Aug-2010, 07:11
I recently found an old box of lenses in storage and found an old Conley (rebranded Wollensak). It isn't labeled as diffusued focused, but it does appear to be a velostigmat and I'm anxious to see what it can do on film... it would be nice to get some soft properties out of it. I recently did my first portrait and it was a nightmare. Too many unmedicated children! i'm planning a reshoot and will be looking for improvements in many aspects.
Thanks.
Chris

Shen45
13-Aug-2010, 18:12
Chris - perhaps the only suggestion for photographing children is wait at least 20 years :)

I have found for portraits with LF that a studio shutter is so good. Jim Galli may even have one to fit your Veliostigmat. I gave up trying to use a Betax or Alphax as they are self cocking and you have to change speeds etc even before removing the darkslide. With anything having the attention span of a child you will be quite frustrated.

Jim thanks for the photo essay on the "A" model. It looks in amazing shape.

Steve

cdholden
14-Aug-2010, 01:09
Steve,
I've identified it as a dialyte (series IV), so I'm not sure how much softness will come from it. I understand this type to be a process type lens (Artar, Ronar, etc) From what I've been reading in the old Wollensak catalogs, they recommend it for sharp work: commercial, architectural, group shots. I'll do some testing with it, but I may be better served looking for soft properties in other lenses.
Thanks.
Chris

Shen45
14-Aug-2010, 20:29
Many eons ago when i used a Hasselblad for portrait I used a Duto filter on the front of the 150 mm. If you can get one of these filters it may be worth trying on the rear element of the lens you have and it will be similar to the "Beach" lens also made by Wollensak. Now I did say similar - not the same.

http://www.camerafarm.com.au/p/92130/FILTERS_SPECIAL_EFFECTS_AND_CU_FILTERS/Hoya/default.asp

Steve

Jim Galli
14-Aug-2010, 20:35
The secret to photographing children is to take them to the taxidermist and get them stuffed.

Allen in Montreal
14-Aug-2010, 21:02
Jim,
That road trip must have been a blast!
To see that car in such great shape after all that time.
Is it sort of like finding an old Durst 5x7 that is pristine? :) :)
I love the last frame on the page.