PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Jobo Expert Drum & Film Trays

lilmsmaggie
11-Aug-2010, 11:14
I'm relatively new to LF. I was introduced to developing 4x5 negs using the Jobo Expert drum; however, trying to find these on the used market has not been fruitfull and the motor base agitators are even more difficult to find.

The Jobo Expert would have been key in addressing a space problem. I don't have the space for trays, or tanks. Even if I were to bite the bullet and buy a new Jobo drum, the motor bases are like really scarce. :(

Is there another alternative to the Jobo drum?

Brian Schall
11-Aug-2010, 12:28
I've used the Combi Plan tanks for developing. Some people like them, some hate them. I ended up with 3 outfits that I used as a modified dip and dunk line and it worked great. Fill all three tanks with solutions, load the film rack, insert in developer tank, put the lid on and turn on the lights and develop. Turn off lights, transfer rack to stop, transfer to fix and put lid back on and turn on lights. Really pretty easy. And 3 tanks don't take up more (or even less) space than the Jobo Expert drum, especially with the motor.

(Shameless plug: I have my tanks listed in the classifieds.)

Brian

nolindan
11-Aug-2010, 15:40
There are two bases on ebay right now: one Unicolor and one Ilford w/ a Cibachrome drum. And there are BTZS tubes - you can google for DIY instructions. And you can use a drum without a base - just roll it on the counter - or train the cat or dog to chase the drum around the basement floor. Tanks and hangers don't take up any more room than a base. Paterson orbital, various DIY sloshers...

I find the old spiral Jobo 4x5 reels work just as well as the expert system.

Robert Perrin
12-Aug-2010, 10:05
I've got a motor base that you're welcome to have. I'm right here in Elk Grove. If you'd like it let me know and I'll PM you my number and address.

Robert Perrin
12-Aug-2010, 10:08
I've got a motor base that you're welcome to have. I'm right here in Elk Grove. If you'd like it let me know and I'll PM you my number and address. (The Jobo 2551 two-reel size tanks will work but the single reel 2521 is too short to fit.)

Brian C. Miller
12-Aug-2010, 12:35
An alternative to the motorized base is a non-motorized base. People would buy the expert drum, and then just roll it back and forth on a counter top. Jobo heard about this, and they produced a roller base for $20 or so. You can get casters, mount them upside-down on wood, and then you have a much cheaper roller base.

The other alternatives are developing negs in a tube (btsz.com or make one yourself), "taco" method (do a local search), and of course various tray and tank methods.

venchka
12-Aug-2010, 14:02
I use both a 2553 tank and reels and a 3010 Expert. I slightly prefer the 3010. I could be happy with only the 2509 reel and a 2551 or 2553 tank (same tank, different drive parts for a real Jobo processor). I use Unicolor and Beseler bases. Looks like you've found a motor base. You need the longer 2551/2553 tank to span the motor base. The tank holds 2 2509 reels.
Be advised: the liquid in any of these tanks rises to room temperature in 3 minutes or less. Use room temperature for developing timing.
Have fun.

Pawlowski6132
12-Aug-2010, 19:34
I'm constantly amazed that the Unicolor system doesn't come up more in these combinations? What am I missing??

venchka
13-Aug-2010, 07:04
I have Unicolor and Beseler drums. I have Unicolor & Beseler motor bases. The Jobo tank & drum are so easy and give great results. I never bothered to try the Unicolor & Beseler drums. I suppose if I ever get my hands on 5x7 or larger film I will dust of the other drums and give them a whirl.
Come to think of it, I also have a Jobo print drum that accepts 5x7 and 8x10.

Pawlowski6132
13-Aug-2010, 11:39
I have a mess of Unidums and a couple of bases:

- 8x10 Drums. This will process (4) 4x5 or (1) 8x10. I use three of these
- 16x20 Drums. This will process (4) 8x10. I have two of these
- 11x14 Drums. Forgot what this will do. I don't use it now.
- Film Drum. Can process (6) 35mm rolls or (4) 120 rolls

The bases reverse-agitate. They're inexpensive, require very little solution and are very well made.

I've often wondered what the Jobo system has over Unicolor. I'm sure it's something but it's not obvious to me. Would sincerely like to know. I feel like I'm missing something.

;^)

venchka
13-Aug-2010, 14:01
The Jobos have a water bath. Where I live, Texas, tap water this time of year is around 85°F and room temperature is a tad under 80°F. If I had a Jobo, I would need to add ice to the water bath. I just adjust time based on the ambient temp. of the water I'm using. I put the chemicals and several liters of water in the sink and bring the temp. down to around 75°F. The Jobo tanks/drum go on a Unicolor base. That seems to work for me.

Chuck Pere
14-Aug-2010, 05:55
I've often wondered what the Jobo system has over Unicolor. I'm sure it's something but it's not obvious to me. Would sincerely like to know. I feel like I'm missing something.

;^)

The Expert drum has barrel shaped cylinders that supposedly let solutions reach both sides of the film. I assume that the Unicolor drum would not allow the back side to be accessed unless the film goes over the ribs. Is this needed? I don't know as people seem to be using the Unicolor drum OK. Maybe they do some processing steps after removing the film from the drum.

Jay DeFehr
14-Aug-2010, 07:13
Chuck,

The arc of the film is larger than the arc of the drum, so solution gets behind the film.

europanorama
31-Jul-2014, 18:37
How about using the 8x10 novatank twinmate or trimate? and using the paper-clip/holder. Will the film be scratched?