PDA

View Full Version : Mounting/displaying large Hahnemuhle PhotoRag 308

Robert Fisher
11-Aug-2010, 10:35
Forum members, can a B&W print on Hahnemuhle PhotoRag 308 be mounted on archival foam core successfully? Can the print (inks are Cone b&w Piezotone inks) be sprayed by a protective cover and still maintain the integrity of the ink?

Sorry, I am completely 100% ignorant about this paper and ink.

I am seeking advice on how to display an image to be printed by Lenny Eiger (this guy is a real artist at his craft).

Again the paper is "Hahnemuhle PhotoRag 308".

Thanks much!!!

PViapiano
11-Aug-2010, 11:20
I'm assuming you don't want to frame it behind glass, just mounted to a support?

Have you asked Lenny for suggestions...he will have an opinion.

paulr
11-Aug-2010, 11:36
The surface of this paper is very fragile. I'd be afraid to have such a big print exposed without some formidable protection. Not just against physical damage, but against dust and dirt landing on it and being difficult to remove.

Spray fixative provides minimal protection. I've experimented with varnishes that can be airbrushed onto the surface of the paper. I think there's a lot of potential here, but I never figured out how to do it reliably and easily. Varnish was a huge PIA and i gave up.

You might consider glass, or possibility laminates.

Robert Fisher
11-Aug-2010, 11:38
PV, yes no glass & have spoken to Lenny.

I have many large LightJet prints in my home mounted on foam core which meets my needs perfectly. Is this possible with Lenny's paper/ink?

Thanks!

Robert Fisher
11-Aug-2010, 11:41
Paul, please explain use of laminates. Would this be placing the print between sheets of plexiglass? I am assuming that the porous nature of this paper does not allow lamination, right??

Thanks!

PViapiano
11-Aug-2010, 14:58
Actually, you can drop an email to Jon Cone or Tyler Boley to ask about the ink and how it reacts to various overcoat methods.

bob carnie
12-Aug-2010, 06:40
Robert

We mount Hahnemuhle Photorag 305 all the time onto artcare acid free foam, not sure about 308, but we never have had problems with any inkjet paper or canvas when mounting.

We never spray the print so can't help you there.

Forum members, can a B&W print on Hahnemuhle PhotoRag 308 be mounted on archival foam core successfully? Can the print (inks are Cone b&w Piezotone inks) be sprayed by a protective cover and still maintain the integrity of the ink?

Sorry, I am completely 100% ignorant about this paper and ink.

I am seeking advice on how to display an image to be printed by Lenny Eiger (this guy is a real artist at his craft).

Again the paper is "Hahnemuhle PhotoRag 308".

Thanks much!!!