PDA

View Full Version : My E6 film is very dirty!

Richard Wasserman
11-Aug-2010, 08:42
I am having a problem with my 4x5 E6 film (Astia Quickloads) being returned to me with a great deal of what looks like black lint, thread, and assorted gunk on it. I have tried 2 labs here in Chicago and have the same issues with both. It looks to me as if they are not keeping their chemistry clean. I have not talked to them yet, and can't imagine that I am the only one having this trouble, and yet I don't expect them to change their method of working just for me. This can all be fixed in Photoshop, but of course is a pain. There is 1 more lab here I can try, but this seems simply like sloppy work–maybe a consequence of the shrinking film developing industry?

Thanks for listening to the rant. I guess my real questions are; would C-41 film be easier for them? Also, I assume I could do C-41 myself as I do have tanks with a waterjacket, and hangers. I have done a few rolls of 120 C-41 using Rollei Digibase chemistry and it seems doable. I shoot about 250 sheets a year, but sporadically. I can go a month or so between shoots. I would not mind processing the film myself, but only if I can be assured of consistent high quality. I looked at a Phototherm Sidekick, which looks ideal, but is too pricey.

So what do you think? Thanks!

GPS
11-Aug-2010, 08:53
They don't change and clean the filter on their developing machine. Probably they have not many customers for the E-6 and keep developing it in batches with periods of inactivity. Ask them to change the filter or to give you a new film - heavens know what they will tell you...

eric black
11-Aug-2010, 08:59
I started developing my own 3 years ago and havent looked back- I am solely responsible for quality and it shows in the results! If the fuzz etc... is on the surface, you could probably easily wash it off at home with water or use a film cleaning solution. I do the film cleaning using Kami film cleaner prior to any scanning that I do to make sure the film is as good as it can be prior to the scan so minimal photoshop work is needed.

GPS
11-Aug-2010, 10:00
Once the black stuff is dry nothing can take it from the emulsion without making a hole in it. That was said to me by the laboratory staff who took to their hearts my demand to clean the filters. From then on I never had problems with them. It's all the hygiene...

Richard Wasserman
11-Aug-2010, 10:31
I do plan on speaking to the lab to find out what they have to say about this. At the same time I want to explore the DIY option if I can do it reliably.

chris_4622
11-Aug-2010, 10:42
Richard,

I just used Phoenix Imaging on Grand. I haven't seen the chromes yet but I'll let you know if I have that problem.

chris

Richard Wasserman
11-Aug-2010, 19:26
Richard,

I just used Phoenix Imaging on Grand. I haven't seen the chromes yet but I'll let you know if I have that problem.

chris

Thanks Chris, please do let me know how Phoenix does on your film.

SW Rick
11-Aug-2010, 19:49
You're not too far from agx imaging in Sault St. Marie- great service, reasonable prices. Have had no problems with them. If you don't go the diy route, you might consider them.

Henry Ambrose
11-Aug-2010, 20:23
Richard,

You can definitely do C41 yourself as you've found from the 120 film you processed.
Its pretty easy. Then you are no longer at the mercy of a lab. Or the closing of a lab.

Richard Wasserman
11-Aug-2010, 21:08
Richard,

You can definitely do C41 yourself as you've found from the 120 film you processed.
Its pretty easy. Then you are no longer at the mercy of a lab. Or the closing of a lab.

I seem to have a bit of fear of the unknown, but will definitely give 4x5 C41 a try. One problem with changing film is that I am in the middle of a long project and would like all the images to have a similar look. What negative film is at all close to Astia? 160VC?

Henry Ambrose
12-Aug-2010, 05:45
If you can find any, Fuji Pro160S would be good. But the Kodak 160 would be OK if not. You do have the luxury of adjusting the colors and tones to be "what you saw", it'll just be easier if the film is similar to what you're using. I think films from the same manufacturer will be your best bet.

Richard Wasserman
12-Aug-2010, 08:20
If you can find any, Fuji Pro160S would be good. But the Kodak 160 would be OK if not. You do have the luxury of adjusting the colors and tones to be "what you saw", it'll just be easier if the film is similar to what you're using. I think films from the same manufacturer will be your best bet.

Thanks Henry!

Nathan Potter
12-Aug-2010, 09:21
I use Praus Productions in Rochester NY. Returned chrome film is spotless and spot on in density, since I always include one chrome with a density wedge exposure for control. Most recent batch was from 3 months ago.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

sully75
12-Aug-2010, 09:30
Nathan can you explain the chrome wedge exposure? What does this do for you or the lab?

Thanks!
Paul

Wally
12-Aug-2010, 10:18
I use Chrome in San Diego.

They have never given me a dirty transparency and will turn my processing order around in less than three hours (meaningless if you're conveying my mail, of course).

http://chromedigital.com/

// Wally, a happy customer

Nathan Potter
12-Aug-2010, 17:06
Nathan can you explain the chrome wedge exposure? What does this do for you or the lab?

Thanks!
Paul

I place a Stouffer density step wedge in front of the 4X5 chrome film in the film holder and expose a white 30X40 mat board using a 210 mm lens at enough distance so there is no bellows factor. I meter the white board in sunlight using my predetermined film speed then adjust exposure so as to get a full range of steps recorded on the film. This test film gets sent with each batch of film to the processing house.

When the film is returned I can check the image of the Stouffer wedge using a densitometer to see how accurately the processing was done. It does nothing for the lab; just lets me check the consistency of their processing. Made me give up on two labs and find Praus to be precise so far. Of course this is all somewhat of a PITA.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

sully75
12-Aug-2010, 18:00
Thanks Nate, I'll just take your word for it!

chris_4622
15-Aug-2010, 07:56
Richard,

I picked up my film from Phoenix Imaging and it is clean as a whistle.

The guy I talked to (Robert?) said they have seen an up tick in E6 business since more labs are closing around the country. They run the line everyday and have the film ready by 4:30 pm.

The cost is $2.40 per 4x5 sheet.

Hope this helps,
chris

Richard Wasserman
15-Aug-2010, 08:34
Richard,

I picked up my film from Phoenix Imaging and it is clean as a whistle.

The guy I talked to (Robert?) said they have seen an up tick in E6 business since more labs are closing around the country. They run the line everyday and have the film ready by 4:30 pm.

The cost is $2.40 per 4x5 sheet.

Hope this helps,
chris

Chris,

I'm glad to hear that Phoenix did a good job for you. They were one of the labs I had issues with, but I haven't used them for a while. When I was using them, they changed ownership and I believe might have been having financial problems. Maybe I was there at a low point for them. It would be great if business is improving for them–they're very nice people.