PDA

View Full Version : Fomalux 111

Ken Kapinski
10-Aug-2010, 20:33
I received the new Freestyle catalog today and noticed this new item.

Fomalux 111 fiber contact speed.
" A double-weight, fiber-base, grade 2, glossy surface, very slow speed, silver chloride emulsion paper characterized by a rich halftone scale. Designed primarily for contact work."

I don't see it on the Freestyle website yet but the catalog shows $32.99 for 25 sheets 8 x 10. Any chance anybody tried this yet and what were your thoughts.

Ken

BradS
10-Aug-2010, 21:23
Too bad that Fomalux 111 is fiber based. I have been using, and for the most part enjoying Fomalux 312. I'm not crazy about the Matte surface.

Freestyle describe it as....
"Fomalux 312 paper is a medium-weight, resin-coated, grade #2, matte surface, very slow speed, silver chloride emulsion paper characterized by a rich halftone scale. "

Vlad Soare
10-Aug-2010, 21:58
Wow, so they started making it on fiber base, too. That's great news!

Too bad that Fomalux 111 is fiber based.
Why is it too bad?

BradS
10-Aug-2010, 22:04
^^^ I prefer RC.

Keith Tapscott.
11-Aug-2010, 01:55
I received the new Freestyle catalog today and noticed this new item.

Fomalux 111 fiber contact speed.
" A double-weight, fiber-base, grade 2, glossy surface, very slow speed, silver chloride emulsion paper characterized by a rich halftone scale. Designed primarily for contact work."

I don't see it on the Freestyle website yet but the catalog shows $32.99 for 25 sheets 8 x 10. Any chance anybody tried this yet and what were your thoughts.

KenI'm wondering if that might be a typo? According to the Foma website, it's a paper designed especially for portraiture and similar applications.
http://www.foma.cz/foma/produkt/FotoDetail.asp?produktid=21&seznam=cernob_fot

Vlad Soare
11-Aug-2010, 03:45
I don't think it's a typo, because it has the right code, too.
111 means fiber based, glossy.
Besides, Foma mention "fiber base" on their website in both languages, English as well as Czech.

Later edit: Oh, you mean the silver chloride thing? No, that's not a typo. Fomalux is not new. Its resin coated version has been available for some time now, and it's indeed a silver chloride paper.

Sal Santamaura
11-Aug-2010, 08:05
Has anyone considered the possibility that Foma is the manufacturer of Lodima Fine Art and this is simply Foma marketing that product under its own name?

Vlad Soare
11-Aug-2010, 08:26
Yes, that thought has crossed my mind, too. But that may be nothing more than a far-fetched assumption.
Come to think of it, considering the quality of most of their products, I think that Foma being the manufacturer of Lodima would be a good thing. :)

Michael Jones
11-Aug-2010, 08:39
Odd that it is in a printed catalog, but still not on their web site...

Mike

David Karp
11-Aug-2010, 14:51
There was a post on this site a while ago that stated Foma was going to put this emulsion on fiber paper. Just don't have time to search for it.

Merg Ross
11-Aug-2010, 22:46
Looks interesting, tech sheet is here:

http://www.foma.cz/upload/foma/prilohy/F_lux_111_en.pdf

David Karp
11-Aug-2010, 23:00
Here it is: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=63110&highlight=foma

Sal Santamaura
12-Aug-2010, 08:05
Has anyone considered the possibility that Foma is the manufacturer of Lodima Fine Art and this is simply Foma marketing that product under its own name?

Looks interesting, tech sheet is here:

http://www.foma.cz/upload/foma/prilohy/F_lux_111_en.pdfThe data sheet includes this statement:

"FOMALUX 111 SP is available in are subject of an agreement with the manufacturer."

I'm not sure if that means Foma doesn't make the product or if whoever wrote it doesn't have complete command of English. If the latter, what could that sentence mean?

Merg Ross
12-Aug-2010, 08:18
The data sheet includes this statement:

"FOMALUX 111 SP is available in are subject of an agreement with the manufacturer."

I'm not sure if that means Foma doesn't make the product or if whoever wrote it doesn't have complete command of English. If the latter, what could that sentence mean?

Yes, I wonder. If it is in fact Lodima, there is quite a difference in price between the two: 25 shts. from M&P @ $50 vs. $33 @ Freestyle. Has anyone ordered it from Freestyle yet?

Keith Tapscott.
12-Aug-2010, 08:31
I don't think it's a typo, because it has the right code, too.
111 means fiber based, glossy.
Besides, Foma mention "fiber base" on their website in both languages, English as well as Czech.

Later edit: Oh, you mean the silver chloride thing? No, that's not a typo. Fomalux is not new. Its resin coated version has been available for some time now, and it's indeed a silver chloride paper.I just read the PDF and saw that. Oops.:o
BLACK-AND-WHITE CONTACT PRINTING PHOTOGRAPHIC PAPER. :D

Ken Kapinski
12-Aug-2010, 15:46
Yes, I wonder. If it is in fact Lodima, there is quite a difference in price between the two: 25 shts. from M&P @ $50 vs. $33 @ Freestyle. Has anyone ordered it from Freestyle yet?

I sent an e-mail to Freestyle today about availability. This was the reply.

Hi Ken

Thanks for your E-mail. This is a brand new item and it was not made
active on our website until today because the product had not been
received until today. If you check our website tomorrow you will find
the item.

I am going to order some and give it a try.

Ken

Michael Kadillak
31-Aug-2010, 10:38
I will set this rumor to rest. This is NOT Lodima paper but the quickest way to verify this is to print with it and see for yourself. I tried the RC version of it and this was rather evident so I suspect that the company just used the same emulsion and coated a different paper surface. It is not surprising that a company recognized the cost differential between this product and Lodima and is casting a net into the water to see what comes up in it. Short term many people will give it a try because the price point is very reasonable and that is a good thing for the manufacturer and everyone that makes contact prints. I also hope that folks post their results when they get a chance to work with this paper.

Shawn Dougherty
31-Aug-2010, 14:14
Sorry if this is bad form here but I don't feel like re-typing everything...

There is an active thread on this paper over at APUG. Several have tried it thus far, including myself, and have reported our results.

HERE (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum55/80362-fomalux-111-a.html) is a link to the thread. My experiences with the paper start on page 7 or 8.

All the best. Shawn

Michael Kadillak
31-Aug-2010, 14:47
Sorry if this is bad form here but I don't feel like re-typing everything...

There is an active thread on this paper over at APUG. Several have tried it thus far, including myself, and have reported our results.

HERE (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum55/80362-fomalux-111-a.html) is a link to the thread. My experiences with the paper start on page 7 or 8.

All the best. Shawn

Thanks Shawn. I understand the rational for not wanting to waste time replicating what has already been posted. I will head there to take a gander at the results.

Cheers!