PDA

View Full Version : Help Pricing Dagor and Ektar lenses.

thedevilyourneighbor
9-Aug-2010, 20:24
I recently acquired 4 Large Format lenses with shutters. They're in good condition and I'm trying to find out what they're worth. Here's a crappy snapshot of them. I can provide better photos if necessary.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4867816075_042a5e31f4_b.jpg

From top to bottom, left to right, the lenses are:

Shutter: Synchro-Compur
Lens: W.A. DAGOR 6 1/2 in. f/8

Shutter: Ilex No. 4 Acme Synchro
Lens: Dagor 10 3/4 in. f/6.8

Shutter: Ilex No. 4 Acme Synchro
Lens: Kodak Commercial Ektar 12 in. f/6.3

Shutter: Ilex No. 3 Acme Synchro
Lens: Kodak Commercial Ektar 8 1/2 in. f/6.3

I've been told that the W.S. Dagor is worth the most and I've gotten a range of prices from several different people.

I was directed here and believe that you guys could give me the best, most accurate answers.

Thank you very much.

-James.

Wade D
9-Aug-2010, 22:52
There are no guaranties but those lenses should fetch quite good prices on ebay from what I've seen. Even a low starting bid goes way high. I've been watching the prices for a few months and most go for more than I want to bid but a lot of people will bid much higher. Set a reserve price to insure that you get what you want for them. Good luck!

thedevilyourneighbor
10-Aug-2010, 01:24
I hope so. I'm having trouble finding completed auctions with some of them though. That's why I'm posting here. I want to know what I can get before I go for it.

Steven Tribe
10-Aug-2010, 01:46
Prices fluctuate so much that it is impossible to predict. All of these are considered excellent LF lenses. The standardisation of shutter, apparent good condition, late Dagors (I think) from the american goerz organisation, helps. It is impossible to predict prices, even as to which will get the highest price. 2 or 3 people looking for the exact same lens can make all the difference in final bidding. The micro condition of the lens surfaces and coating where appropriate, and the correctness of the shutter times is also important for bidders.

domaz
10-Aug-2010, 08:33
Setting a reserve price seems to guarantee your item doesn't sell. Just put them up for auction or set a reasonable buy it now price. If you restrict your auction to US only they will go for far lower price then if you ship internationally. As a US buyer I always look for auctions that are US only- apparently there are very few LF photographers in the US with money right now to spend.

Steve Hamley
10-Aug-2010, 08:39
Condition is everything, and that's what you haven't told us.

The 6-1/2" WA Dagor could go from less than $200 (no caps, bad shutter, separation, cleaning marks, scratches, coating issues) to $850 (pristine) or so. I've seen asking prices to $1,200 or so for fine ones, but doubt they sold at that price.

10-3/4" $200-650ish (perfect, coated, serial 77xxxx and higher) or so.

12" Commercial Ektar, $100 - $375 (perfect) unless perfect with original boxes and caps, then maybe $425. Maybe.

8-1/2" Commercial Ektar, $75-$225 (perfect) unless perfect with original boxes and caps, then maybe $275.

Cheers, Steve

thedevilyourneighbor
10-Aug-2010, 18:10
Setting a reserve price seems to guarantee your item doesn't sell. Just put them up for auction or set a reasonable buy it now price. If you restrict your auction to US only they will go for far lower price then if you ship internationally. As a US buyer I always look for auctions that are US only- apparently there are very few LF photographers in the US with money right now to spend.

Thanks! I'll make sure to remember all of this. I intended to offer international shipping. I don't want to alienate any possible buyers. I've gotten pissed off when I couldn't get things because they wouldn't ship to the US.

Condition is everything, and that's what you haven't told us.

The 6-1/2" WA Dagor could go from less than $200 (no caps, bad shutter, separation, cleaning marks, scratches, coating issues) to $850 (pristine) or so. I've seen asking prices to $1,200 or so for fine ones, but doubt they sold at that price.

10-3/4" $200-650ish (perfect, coated, serial 77xxxx and higher) or so.

12" Commercial Ektar, $100 - $375 (perfect) unless perfect with original boxes and caps, then maybe $425. Maybe.

8-1/2" Commercial Ektar, $75-$225 (perfect) unless perfect with original boxes and caps, then maybe $275.

Cheers, Steve

Very informative. Thank you, Steve. The lenses are all in good condition. I haven't gotten the chance to really time the shutters, but when I tested them, they seemed just fine. I need to really sit down and time them, but I really think they're fine.

You can see in the photo that they all have front lenses except for the WA Dagor. Without looking, I can't tell you which ones have their rear caps, but I know 2 or 3 of them do.

I'll try to take photos tomorrow.

thedevilyourneighbor
11-Aug-2010, 00:50
I took a few snapshots. Just to test. These aren't the final shots I intend to use for the lens. I just wanted to know if you guys think these photos are good enough to illustrate the product. I don't normally sell things online and want these lenses to look as appealing as possible. I tried to illustrate to the best of my ability the cosmetic condition of the lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/teddybushpig/sets/72157624700751742/

A couple notes:
The arrow on This Photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/teddybushpig/4881189873/) is meant to point out that it's bent. Still perfectly functional, but still bent. To be honest, I'm afraid to try to bend it back into shape. I probably could, but I don't wanna end up breaking it.

Also, I checked the shutter. The lower speeds are slow. I was thinking of taking a little video and putting it up on youtube to demonstrate the condition of the shutter. Do you think this is a bad idea or a good one? I don't see many people doing this on ebay.

Wade D
11-Aug-2010, 03:42
You're right about not setting a reserve price. People see "reserve not met" and shy away from bidding. I just started selling a few months ago and don't set a reserve price either.
However if you have an item and know what it is worth and won't take less then a reserve will save you from getting too little. Selling on ebay is a learning curve which I am just getting the hang of.
James, your pictures look pretty good. A good description with a little embellishment goes far toward making a sale as well. Above all be quite clear about your terms of sale. The old cameras and equipment I have been selling are clearly marked "as is" and "no returns".
Mostly due to the age of the items not the condition. I've sold some beautiful cameras and lenses but at over 50 years old can't warranty that they will remain working.
Again good luck and have fun! Selling can be addictive.
P.S. Also ship worldwide. You have a much bigger audience that way. One of my biggest sales went to Germany.

goamules
11-Aug-2010, 06:34
There are several things to consider about FeeBay, and it's a changing environment.

Reserves are not needed with desirable, well-known items. A high starting bid is also not useful. If you start your WA Dagor at .99 for example, it may sit at a less than a hundred dollars for days. BUT - everyone that sees it will be thinking, "wow, I just might be able to get that." If it has a starting price of $399, and no bids, most will think, "sheeze, that's pretty expensive." Let the mob mentality help you. Ideally, someone will bid it up to a good, mid level within a few days. That way, bidders that use sniper programs (most serious buyers do - you won't know the final sale price until a few seconds before the auction ends) will know they have to set their price higher. If at the last day it's still sitting at $78.50, there is a chance a sniper will win it low. But remember - that's for low demand, esoteric items. Dagors are fairly popular.

On refunds, I also don't agree with the above. People want security. They want to know that if they get the lens, and you lied about the condition, they can return it. I always offer a refund "if we both agree the item doesn't match my description." And I describe well. I have never been asked to take a lens back.

Good luck.

Steve Hamley
11-Aug-2010, 17:28
Garrett's right about refunds IMO. If I see "no returns", my maximum bid is going to be quite a bit lower than I would otherwise offer. This is especially true of items like the OP listed. Neither Dagors or Commercial Ektars are rare, and although pristine Dagors can be pricey, there will always be another.

Cheers, Steve

John Koehrer
11-Aug-2010, 20:30
FWIW, I'll always accept a piece of merchandise back for refund.
EXCEPT FOR SHIPPING. I'm out of pocket for it and if it's that important to the buyer he can pay to ship it back.
The refund is issued only AFTER I get the product back and inspect it.
I usually do no reserve auctions with .99 start. Early on I sometimes didn't maximize the return because of when the auction ended. Someone who had bought an item as a bargain pointed out that IF an auction ends on a Sunday evening it's far more likely to hit a maximum price.

Wade D
12-Aug-2010, 02:32
I hope the OP takes all of this into consideration. I sure have. Thanks to all for the great tips on selling!

thedevilyourneighbor
12-Aug-2010, 06:21
I hope the OP takes all of this into consideration. I sure have. Thanks to all for the great tips on selling!

Trust me. He is.

Thank you all.

Can I get anyone else's opinion on the videos?

Should I post links to youtube videos of me demonstrating the shutter-lag within the text of the auction, or just describe it?

BrianShaw
12-Aug-2010, 06:43
As a seller I wouldn't bother with the video because as a buyer I wounldn't look at such a video. A seller admission that the shutter is slow means only one thing: the shutter needs a cleaning. That's all I need to know as a buyer. That in-and-of-iteself is not an impediment to me bidding/buying, but helps determine a fair price. One other piece of info I like to know is that all functions "appear" to work... like the synch, cable release socket (believe it or not), etc.

Oren Grad
12-Aug-2010, 07:58
Don't bother with the video. When you can communicate the information that matters in a sentence or two, a video is a waste of the buyer's time.

I'm much more concerned about the glass than about the shutter. The Ektars in particular have softish coatings that are very vulnerable to "cleaning marks", which is a euphemism for lots of fine abrasions.

If you want to do right by your buyers, take a very critical look at the glass. Don't just take a casual glance under forgiving ambient illumination. Open the shutter and look through the lens at a bright light. If you can't make snapshots of the glass surfaces that clearly show their condition, then at least provide a meticulous description and explain how you examined the lens to determine that.

Twice I've had to return badly scuffed Ektars that were described as clean and photographed in a flattering way; there is zero chance I'd bid on one without a return privilege.

Jim Galli
12-Aug-2010, 09:07
Case study; (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180542867711&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123)

A VERY highly desired lens that might have fetched $800 + if the reserve were not there. The large aperture portrait versions of this lens are truly rare.

domaz
12-Aug-2010, 09:12
Agreed about the Ektars. I won't say that they have soft coatings because I have no hard evidence BUT I do know that if the coatings are scratched it is very difficult to tell without looking at them critically with a bright light. Most sellers of these lenses don't really know how to do that or don't really want to (why should they?). The coating scratches will never show in a typical EBay photograph.

Steven Tribe
12-Aug-2010, 13:36
Jim - I totally agree. However he did give a very good clue as to the reserve (which some do systematically and which I find attractive) in his later additions:

"Since posting the above, I have recalculated the shipping costs and can now provide a more up to date figure, which has now been based on an insured value of £300."

Which, logically, must be more than his reserve!

Brian Stein
15-Aug-2010, 03:51
like all the others I would agree with:

1. no reserve. of everything i find this most irritating: if you want a lowest price just set that as your minimum bid and be done with it
2. international availability
3. start low
4. dont bother with video
5. good decription and photos are king
6. offer returns. if it as buyers expense make that clear.

I am somewhat conflicted about the buy it now aspect. can give you a decent price quickly, but does tend to prevent a fool and his money from being maximally parted.

think about selling here too!

thedevilyourneighbor
15-Aug-2010, 21:23
I've been thinking of selling here.

I guess I should say I'm willing to take offers. It'll save me a lot of trouble, I suppose.

So if anyone's interested in any of these, send me a PM with an offer.

I don't have photos or accurate descriptions of the shutter conditions on all of the photos yet because I've recently been super busy in life, but I'll get them post haste. You can see photos of the WA Dagor in the link I posted earlier.

Steven Tribe
16-Aug-2010, 01:39
Asking for PMs in order to sell items outside the FS/WTD threads is not allowed! As you joined on the 10th of August 2010 you will have to wait some time before you can list these lenses/shutters. There are good reasons for this built-in delay! It has nothing to do with your adopted name!

thedevilyourneighbor
16-Aug-2010, 02:14
Asking for PMs in order to sell items outside the FS/WTD threads is not allowed! As you joined on the 10th of August 2010 you will have to wait some time before you can list these lenses/shutters. There are good reasons for this built-in delay! It has nothing to do with your adopted name!

My bad. I'm sorry. I'm not going to lie to you. I didn't read the rules. I'll check them out though.

And I'm glad to know it has nothing to do with my screen name.

Steven Tribe
16-Aug-2010, 03:20
I am sure that many will be looking forward to your listing. These are all very interesting and you have chosen the right forum!

thedevilyourneighbor
16-Aug-2010, 05:41
I am sure that many will be looking forward to your listing. These are all very interesting and you have chosen the right forum!

Thanks. And if I may say so, this is a very interesting forum. I was amazed with the speed and quality of responses I got. Everyone seems very honest and helpful.

I don't shoot on Large Format, but maybe someday I will. If so, I'll probably be spending lots of time here. I can see that you guys are accepting of people with little to no experience or knowledge and willing to lend a hand.

Thank you very much.

eddie
16-Aug-2010, 06:01
Thanks. And if I may say so, this is a very interesting forum. I was amazed with the speed and quality of responses I got. Everyone seems very honest and helpful.

I don't shoot on Large Format, but maybe someday I will. If so, I'll probably be spending lots of time here. I can see that you guys are accepting of people with little to no experience or knowledge and willing to lend a hand.

Thank you very much.

so why not wait the 30 days and post the items here for sale and give all those helpful souls a whack at the lenses.......?

thedevilyourneighbor
16-Aug-2010, 07:40
so why not wait the 30 days and post the items here for sale and give all those helpful souls a whack at the lenses.......?

Who said I wouldn't do that?

;)

Bernard Kaye
16-Aug-2010, 19:44
Before most of you were born, I was a CPA & damn good auditor: the hair on back of my neck is up.
Bernie

thedevilyourneighbor
16-Aug-2010, 22:59
Before most of you were born, I was a CPA & damn good auditor: the hair on back of my neck is up.
Bernie

Then comb it down.

Nobody here but us chickens.

thedevilyourneighbor
6-Sep-2010, 09:24
Just wanted to bump this as a reminder. I will be offering these lenses for sale here on the site on the 10th.

I'll have full descriptions of the condition of glass and shutters and plenty of shots of each lense as well.

Once again, a huge thank you to all the people who posted suggestions, tips, advice, etc. here for a simple small format photographer. (although I've been dabbling more in medium format).