PDA

View Full Version : Pencils for signing photographs

John Hennessy
9-Aug-2010, 10:09
The thread about pens is useful and it raises this question: For signing a surface other than matte, what pencil works for you? I have tried a Stabilo Aquarellable 8008, but it is only fair. It's too light and it skips. So I usually use a Pygma Micron pen, but it is too black and conspicuous.

Thanks.

Vaughn
9-Aug-2010, 10:25
Any #3 works fine for me.

RickV
19-Aug-2010, 02:27
I'll start by stating that I rarely sign my prints but I inherited an old purple indelible pencil circa 1940 from my father. The sort you had to lick to get to write and it is awesome for signing prints on any medium. IMHO the choice of writing instrument is totally dependent upon the calligraphic style of your signature. Bold and fat like a madman's hairstyle or slender and wispy like a heroin-chic model.... signature styles should match the style of a photographer's work; after all, it's all coming from the same place. But maybe that's a bit of a stretch...

hmf
20-Aug-2010, 07:04
I've never found a satisfactory way to sign the emulsion side of a glossy silver gelatin print. I sign the back if I 'T' mount, or the board if I dry mount.

.5mm Pentel "B", for no particular reason other than that I bought a number of pens and leads once.

More chicken scratchy than either "bold and fat" or "thin and wispy".

Kirk Keyes
20-Aug-2010, 08:10
Alan Ross uses an electric pencil eraser to abrade the glossy surface of the print. It just takes a second with the eraser to get enough tooth on the print, and then it will accept a pencil.

Jim Jones
19-Sep-2010, 06:49
Sharpie "Permanent" markers do eventually fade in light. Graphite pencils have proven themselves well for many years. Some artists rely on Prismacolor pencils. Google for lightfast pens for much information.

Captain_joe6
24-Sep-2010, 15:54
I prefer a Staedtler Mars Lumograph 3H for signing, and writing, and really anything else requiring a pencil.