PDA

View Full Version : Copal #1 Polaroid Fix?

gth
8-Aug-2010, 13:51
Got a Tominion 127mm in Copal #1 Polaroid on ebay. Lens & hardware looked nice out of package. Two clicks and the shutter jammed open, hmm.

Ok, took elements out, and started to take the back cover off. OOPS, shutter blades are falling out. Took the front cover off, ok so that's the works. Back to back cover.. removed all shutter blades guessed how they go in and closed up back cover. Test with the focus open control. It works, Front cover on, back together, I get 2-3 clicks and then it's frozen again.

I repeat process one more time, same results. I get Ronsinol, first thing when I squirt Ronsinol into the shutter it closes slowly by itself. Yeah, I am impressed. Shutter is definetly still gummed up and I exercise it in the Ronsinol. It now works nicely. I let the Ronsinol dry off. Shutter has a lot of friction on return. Ok, back cover off and I take out the shutter blades, There are 5 blade position and there are three small shims, and what the f....., there are 6 blades!! Did not see that before, probably two shutter blades stuck together????

OK, I clean everything in Ronsinol again and assemble shutter using only 5 blades and 3 shims. The 3 shims on the three positions that look different. Don't know if that is right since the shutter blades fell off to start with. I put the blades in sequentially.

Assemble everything. WORKS. CRISP. YES! All speeds seem ok. Closing is crisp and clean.

Test "B" - Shutter opens but does not close!! Dang!!
I can close the shutter by moving to 1 sec position.

So, before I take it apart again:

What's up with the 6th shutter blade?
Any pointers on blade/shim sequence?
Any pointer on fixing B?
Should I do any lubrication? It's squeaky clean now.

domaz
9-Aug-2010, 07:09
The blades shouldn't matter unless there is a blade(s) with an upturned tab at the end of it- if so that one should rest on top or on bottom.

gth
9-Aug-2010, 16:55
The "extra" blade was exactly as the 5 others.... Only thing I can think of is that someone used the extra blade as a fix to shim for a smoother movement. Or perhaps it is supposed to make a stiffer assembly.

I'll have to talk to a professional repair company I suppose. I had hopes one might be lurking here.... In any case it "works" the slow speeds are about 30 to 50% too slow, which probably will come down with some lubrication. I can probably fix the B setting too.

Flower closeups next!