PDA

View Full Version : a 9-1/2" Goerz"Trigor"?

Tad Cornwell
19-Mar-2002, 16:36
I found one of these in a barrel mount. I'm not looking at it right now but I think it's an f6.8-f64. Appears to have big coverage. Anyone know about this lens?

Wayne
19-Mar-2002, 17:00
Its an excellent lens, I think with less coverage than a Dagor. they are pretty rare. I'll include some replies from the lf newsgroup that I archived. I have a 14 inch barrel Trigor, but I've never used it yet because I have a 305 G claron in shutter. Ive never heard of a 9.5 incher, so thats quite rare. Trigors command a high asking price, but I dont see many people actually paying that high price so in reality they are probably worth less, but still quite worthwhile. My guess is its worth a couple hundred anyway, maybe more

" Your Trigor (this is the 14inch) will cover 22x28" at 1:1 at F/22 giving you an angle of view of 58 degrees. Goerz specifies it as a wide angle copy lens to be used when there are space problems in the camera room and wide coverage is needed with relatively short bellows extension. It is optimized for 1:1 of course. At 1:1 the copy to film distance is only 56.1 inches"

Richard Knoppow says

"The Trigor, also known as a Blue-Dot Dagor, is a wide angle process lens using the Dagor formula. It is not as wide angle as a standard Dagor but is better corrected within its coverage. They are not apochromats. These lense were made for use in making up lithographic printing plates for small newspapers and other relatively short run uses. Without looking up the catalogue data I belive the coverage is around 75 or 80 deg at infinity, still pretty wide. Performance at infinity should be very good. The lens dates from the early 1960's."

" A Blue Dot Trigor is a valuable lens. It is a wide field process lens.I have one in shutter that I have used on formats up to 7x17 and currently on 11x14 and it covers these formats with considerable movement. It is probably the sharpest lens I own. It would be a great 8x10 lens. It will fit into a Copal 3 shutter, which new is expensive but are available used. I have seen these lenses in shutter for $l800 to $2000. Good luck.

(my note-I think he means it can be *fitted* to a #3, ie it wont screw right in)

Henry Suryo
20-Mar-2002, 16:38
Hi Tad,

I've seen both the 9.5" and 14" Trigors and the quality of photographs that they produce. They are very nice lenses and have a similar look and sharpness as the RD Artars, maybe slightly better. They are originally in barrels and some are made by Kern in Switzerland. I believe after Schneider acquired Goerz in the late 70s, they outsourced to Kern to make the Trigors and the Gold Dot Dagors. All the Kern lenses are highly regarded and the Trigors are especially sought after because of its relative scarcity. I've been looking for the 14" for quite some time to test against my 14" Gold Dot Dagor and the Artars but they seem to command high prices whenever they show up. I'm not completely certain about coverage, but I have heard that they cover about 80 deg stopped down. Good shooting, Henry

Tad Cornwell
20-Mar-2002, 18:41
Thanks to those that have replied. Looks like I may have found a jewel, for $40.!!! The glass front and rear appear excellent+. The barrel with aperture click stops is mint. I can't wait to start using the lens (after I get my camera rebuilt)! Thanks again.

miles
23-Mar-2002, 01:32
Howdy guys!

I picked up a march/april 2002 copy of american photo a couple days ago and there's an article about Arny Freytag (the Playboy Magazine centerfold photographer) describing how 'tough' his job is and he discusses his EXTENSIVE lighting and he tells of using a Toyo 8 by 10 view cam and a 14 inch lens. I wonder which one?? And which films.. It goes on to say that he shoots on the average of 50 transparencies a day for the one centerfold. He says they work 3 to 5 days on the same picture, using an average of 30 seperate strobes. Says they like to keep the skin tone on the warm side around 4800 to 5000k so the gel the strobes or the camera, but prefer the strobes for the gels, using no diffusion , just using swings and tilts. Interesting article..