PDA

View Full Version : Squeegee board Tips

cyrus
7-Aug-2010, 07:27
In addition to ordering an 8ft steel sink I've decided to get a 21x25 inch steel squeegee board (which I will mount on a piece of plywood backing for stability) but I'm having trouble deciding whether or where to place it. Right over the sink seems logical but it would take up a lot of space I could use for shelving there. Also perhaps I shouldn't attach it permanently to the wall, as I may want to move it around for various purposes (coating paper for platinum prints?)
any tips or suggestions are welcome!

Vaughn
7-Aug-2010, 08:15
Steel? Is it stainless steel? Rust never sleeps...

We have two types -- plex over plywood and one that is more like counter-top material.

The counter-top one is not over a sink and we have a piece of plastic rain-gutter under it to catch the water/chemicals. It is for viewing unwashed prints. The bottom edge of the counter-top (particle board) is slowly soaking up chemicals and expanding -- but it has been in use for 20+ years. We have 125 students every semester using it. It should have had its edges painted to seal them -- too late now. When I replace it, I'll do it to the new one.

With the ones with plex over plywood, the plex is a little bigger than the plywood, so the plywood stays dry. It has been over 25 years since they were installed over the print washer. They are a little small -- about 18x22. One of these days I'll replace them with larger ones -- probably about the size of yours.

Vaughn

Drew Wiley
7-Aug-2010, 09:55
I have a large sheet of 3/8" thick plate glass resting at one end of the sink, which
stays nice and flat and is easy to rinse off. For really big prints I have a sheet of
melamine-coated MDF leaning against a wall, with the edges sealed with epoxy.
It is quite resistant to moisture. And I also have a strip of plastic rain gutter below
it, draining into a bucket. The latter material is quite affordable, but you want to
get it at least 3/4" thick so it won't bow.

CG
7-Aug-2010, 11:07
Why fix it permanently. Set it up to be removable so you only have it there when needed.

Ron McElroy
7-Aug-2010, 19:40
I use a 24x28 piece of gray PVC. I just let the bottom of it sit in the sink by the washer. I also used another piece to view prints while printing. It sits in the sink by the holding tray.

Nathan Potter
7-Aug-2010, 20:03
Plate glass is excellent and what I used at first. Then I had a 2X2 ft. slab of white polypro left over from a sink project and found it to be even better, since the water beads up indefinitely - dewets nicely.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Ron McElroy
11-Aug-2010, 17:15
- dewets nicely.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

So is dewetting similar to drying?:)

Louie Powell
11-Aug-2010, 18:12
I keep a large sheet of thick glass (actually, the glass platen from a xerox machine) under the sink, and pull it out when I need to squeegee prints.

Yes, it would be nice to have a permanent installation, but it only takes seconds to pull it out when I need it.

DanK
11-Aug-2010, 23:56
Why fix it permanently. Set it up to be removable so you only have it there when needed.

I completely agree...no need to fix it permanently...and probably better not to...

I use a sturdy 24x30 (little larger) stainless washer lid upside down for my squeegee board, and keep it tucked nicely on the bottom shelf (dry side) away from everything until I need it....squeegee kept there as well.... (far from fixer or other)....

The only prints that see the board are fully rinsed fixed or toned prints....with a thorough hot water rinse and scrub of the board prior...test prints go straight to a 'viewing tray' then to a separate room, then trash...

Probably more paranoid than most...

Thanks,
Dan

cyrus
12-Aug-2010, 06:27
I'm thinking then, I'll just rest it vertically inside the sink, tilt it up against the wall. Doesn't need to be affixed. Thanks all.

D. Bryant
12-Aug-2010, 22:36

Exactly.

I have a very large piece of Lexan, half inch thick. I would bother with metal backed with wood.

Don Bryant

JON BUTLER
12-Aug-2010, 23:49
I just use a 28" square piece of painted 1/4" ply covered with black poly from a paper bag, I use it on the corner of the sink and store it under the sink.

Works fine for me.
JON.

Roger Thoms
13-Aug-2010, 03:49
I have mine unmounted and just set in the sink when needed. It's constructed from particle board which I edged with teak and then laminated with Formica on both sides. The teak is sealed with 3 or 4 coats of polyurethane. The materials were chosen based on what scrap material I had at the time. The important thing is that the board is flat so you don't need undue pressure to make the squeegee contact the whole print.

Roger

jnantz
13-Aug-2010, 06:05
right near where i wash my prints
i have a large piece of plexiglass on angle ( in the sink ).
it isn't attached to anything just sitting there ...
i use a windshield wiper blade with it ...

John Jarosz
15-Aug-2010, 19:01
yes, I also use 3/8 & 1/4 thick glass. it has many uses in silver and carbon printing (even print flattening), doesn't absorb anything, cheap. I wouldn't use anything else.