PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive paper for student cyanotypes?

Mark Sawyer
6-Aug-2010, 10:03
I'm buying this out of my own pocket for about 200 students, so I'm not looking for "fine art" quality, just something that will hold up to the processing and look fairly decent. 8.5 x 11 stationary is fine. Any suggestions?

Vaughn
6-Aug-2010, 10:49
Old manila folders -- your Dept office might have a stack of them if they are at all eco-conscience! We have used them for our classes.

Crane's writing stationary works, too -- but needs careful handling in the water.

Any cheap watercolor paper -- though you will want to test a sheet, and perhaps give the sheets a soak in 2 to 5% Oxalic acid if the sizing is alkaline. You can buy the blocks (pads) of watercolor paper instead of the sheets if that is easier/cheaper. Hot press is smoother and gives a sharper image than the cold press.

lilmsmaggie
6-Aug-2010, 11:31
Check out Freestyle Photo: http://www.freestylephoto.biz

They are geared toward students and teachers.

Caivman
6-Aug-2010, 12:09
Cheap Cotton Fabric
Heavy Cardstock (check your local comic book store, ask for backing boards)
Craft Paper

or... just buy it premade. Google "Sunart" Paper (unless making the paper is part of your lesson)

Jim Noel
6-Aug-2010, 12:24
Any 100% cotton or linen stationery.
I teach several different alt processes using this paper. It teaches student to be careful handling wet paper, and print beautifully.

Darryl Baird
6-Aug-2010, 14:52
Cranes Cover, 90 lb.

D. Bryant
6-Aug-2010, 15:37
I'm buying this out of my own pocket for about 200 students, so I'm not looking for "fine art" quality, just something that will hold up to the processing and look fairly decent. 8.5 x 11 stationary is fine. Any suggestions?

Weston Diploma Parchment is an inexpensive excellent paper for most if not all of the ferric based alt. processes, including cyanotype. 200 of 8.5x11 sheets is about $140 and can be purchased from Butler Dearden - http://www.butlerdearden.com/

You can get more bang for your buck if you purchase 100 sheets of 22x34 and cut them yourself.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish with cyanotype printing. The process can actually produce gorgeous results on the right paper.

Don Bryant