PDA

View Full Version : What are my shutter options?

adamc
5-Aug-2010, 18:13
Hey Guys,
I have a Voigtlaender Collinear lens that I love, it came with my Speed Graphic. It came in an Ilex Acme #3 synchro shutter (pictured) which was non-functioning, so I took the shutter mechanism out and reassembled turning it into a barrel lens with an aperture. It works OK, but the focal plane shutter on my SG only goes as slow as 1/30. I'd like to get a properly working shutter to put it in, but I don't know what my options are. I measured the opening and it's about 45mm diameter. Anybody know what other shutters this lens will fit in?

I'm sure the answer is pretty simple, but I'm still new to some of this stuff.

Thanks,
Adam

Jack Dahlgren
6-Aug-2010, 00:08
Why not look for another Acme #3?

Andrew Plume
6-Aug-2010, 02:30
Adam - have a look at the SK Grimes website, there's an informative page which shows what lenses fit into certain shutters - it doesn't answer everything but at least it gives you an insight into what's available

regards

andrew

Steven Tribe
6-Aug-2010, 04:04
As Jack says "get a new Acme 3".
I have seen lots of NOS on that site. Grimes' website will give the alternative names of US shutters which are identical. You just move your aperture scale to the new shutter.
FS/WTD listing here would be worth the effort, I think!

adamc
6-Aug-2010, 06:22
Thanks for the replies.
I started out looking for a replacement to the Acme #3. In doing my research I found that SK Grimes chart (http://www.skgrimes.com/fits/index.htm)you guys mentioned, and I think that's what got me confused in the first place. For some barrels it says "1st choice: Copal #1 / 2nd choice: Ilex #3", that doesn't sound right. Should I be looking at the Front Mount column which says Copal #3 and Ilex #3 are the same?

I probably will get a new Acme #3, but I guess I thought I'd use this opportunity to educate myself on the subject, is a #3 shutter from one brand sized the same as a #3 from another brand?

Thanks again,
Adam

Jack Dahlgren
6-Aug-2010, 10:17
Thanks for the replies.
I started out looking for a replacement to the Acme #3. In doing my research I found that SK Grimes chart (http://www.skgrimes.com/fits/index.htm)you guys mentioned, and I think that's what got me confused in the first place. For some barrels it says "1st choice: Copal #1 / 2nd choice: Ilex #3", that doesn't sound right. Should I be looking at the Front Mount column which says Copal #3 and Ilex #3 are the same?

I probably will get a new Acme #3, but I guess I thought I'd use this opportunity to educate myself on the subject, is a #3 shutter from one brand sized the same as a #3 from another brand?

Thanks again,
Adam

As the chart says:

"Suitability of a lens for a shutter does not mean;direct fit; It means that it is possible/practical to modify the lens to be useable in the indicated shutter or shutters."

If you are going to go without modification, then you should look for the same shutter. The sizes are generally similar, but remember that there have been #1 shutters made by various companies over many decades in many different countries, so there are certainly going to be differences between them.

Grimes made a living in part by fitting lenses to shutters. If you don't have that expertise and machining tools, look for an exact replacement.

Kevin Crisp
6-Aug-2010, 10:43
I wish all my shutters were as trouble free and accurate as an Acme after a cleaning and lube.

adamc
6-Aug-2010, 11:14
Got it, thanks everyone.