PDA

View Full Version : Just acquired a Wista 45DX. Would like to know the camera's history.Need your help.

l2oBiN
4-Aug-2010, 12:23
I am quite excited. I just bought a Wista DX45 (so the seller tells me) and he provided a serial number (534XX). I only have a single picture of it http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5260/screenshot20100804at912.png
In the picture it looks quite red, and I cant seem to match it to the current line of cameras, or am I just missing it? I would really like to know as much as possible about the camera. Does anyone have instruction manuals, brochures etc? any info on serial numbers?

Thnx in advance!

stevebrot
4-Aug-2010, 13:57
You mean something like this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/63358-REG/Wista_214604_45DX_Rosewood_4x5_Wooden.html

Steve

l2oBiN
4-Aug-2010, 14:05
Hi Steve, do you think this is it? Would a serial number be more definitive?

stevebrot
4-Aug-2010, 16:35
They are the same model and they look the same. The red color on your photo is probably a result of the lighting more than anything else. Very pretty.

Steve

Bill_4606
4-Aug-2010, 19:19
Your picture looks like my DX -- a Rosewood model. My serial number is 535XX. Don't know if that has anything to do with the models. Mine has rear shifts. I understand that older models did not.

I really like using my Wista. It's light weight, compact, and a dream to use. Only complaint I have with it is the tilt movements pivot from the bottom. I wish they were center pivots to keep focus about the center of the image. Bottom pivot though is only a minor inconvenience and once you get used to it, it's not that much of a big deal.

Have fun...

Bill

Bill_4606
4-Aug-2010, 20:01
One more thing...
I was curious as to what woods the models came in so I did a quick search and found a message from Bob Salomon on this site. He provided some great information for the various versions of the Wista Field camera:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=57545

Bill

l2oBiN
12-Aug-2010, 15:24
Is there any database that has information based on serial numbers?

Oren Grad
12-Aug-2010, 15:45
Is there any database that has information based on serial numbers?

You can ask Bob Salomon, who represents the Wista importer in the US. But I think the answer is no.

hmvmanuk
14-Aug-2010, 14:55
You could try contacting Wista themselves. I e-mailed them about one or two things concerning my DXII and received a very helpful reply. They took a little while to reply but apologised for the delay. The address is: WISTA@nifty.com

Good luck and happy photography. The Wista's a lovely camera to look at and to use.

Gavin

Graham Patterson
15-Aug-2010, 10:58
My significantly second-hand camera is F50xxx, with rear-shift and swing.

It is a fairly standard wood field camera. Get into the habit of starting with the movements neutral and locked - the rear shift is the one I used to forget, with disasterous results when the film holder went in 8-)

It folds with all locks loose, btw. It shouldn't be tight or bind.

hmvmanuk
17-Aug-2010, 11:41
I'm interested in this serial number thing. Until recently I didn't think my 45 DXII (the model without rear shift) had a serial number as there isn't a plate/sticker affixed to the back of the bed plate. However, a little while ago while I was cleaning the camera, I noticed a little metallic sticker on the bottom inside edge of the rear standard, beneath the bellows. The sticker simply has a 4-digit number 22XX on it. Does that sound like a serial number for DXII models to anyone?

Gavin