PDA

View Full Version : Older sironar N 135mm F5.6 specs?

Former Member 8144
4-Aug-2010, 10:59
Hi guys,
I am looking at some older (pre-apo) rodenstock sironar-n 135/5.6 lenses and whilst looking at the specs for this lens have come across two versions that both seem to be the same with the exception of the image circle.
One is 200 and the other is 188.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenseslist.html

Is there any easy way to identify which has which image circle...the specs listing shows no differences apart from the IC.

Thanks,

Marc

Jack Dahlgren
4-Aug-2010, 12:49
I think that one may be the MC (multicoated) and the earlier one is pre-MC.
You will see the MC on the lens.

Bob Salomon
5-Aug-2010, 04:19
Don't believe the listing.
There were Sironar lenses, then Sironar-N lenses then Sironar-N MC lenses then the Apo Sironar N series.

Get the serial numbers. The original Sironar were convertible, the later one are not.

Former Member 8144
5-Aug-2010, 05:39
Just received the lens..it a non apo N MC version (serial 10606922).

I'm going to assume 188 IC but perhaps I'm wrong...

Lovely lens though as it fits inside my horseman 45HF very sweetly.

Marc

IanG
5-Aug-2010, 09:42
The official Rodenstock specification is online somewhere in a PDF file.

However as Bob can confirm Rodenstock give the image circle for the Apo Sironar-N 135mm as 200mm @ Infinity & f22. That's taken from the official Rodenstock data on the Russian distributors website

It's also worth remembering that some LF lenses were Apo lens designs before Canon began using the Apo bit in their marketing of some of their top lenses. So in some cases all that changed was the word Apo was added to the name.

The 135mm f5.6 Caltar II and Sinaron S are both re-badged MC Sironar-N's and have the same 200mm image circle as the later Apo version.

Ian

Leigh
24-Mar-2011, 23:24
Just received the lens..it a non apo N MC version (serial 10606922).
Per the 1982 Rodenstock datasheet that's an Apo lens without the designation.

The image circle is 200mm.

- Leigh

Bob Salomon
25-Mar-2011, 07:18
Per the 1982 Rodenstock datasheet that's an Apo lens without the designation.

The image circle is 200mm.

- Leigh

The 9/1982 factory brochure for Rodenstock camera lenses gives the coverage of the 135mm Sironar N as 200mm at f22 and 185mm at f11. This maybe where the confusion came from.

The brochure does not call these lenses an Apo or an apochromatic corrected lens. However, the USA distributor at that time, Berkey Photo Marketing, did print their own brochures and some of those used the term "near Apo" in describing the Sironar N series. That was not a factory quote. The 11/1985 brochure also printed the same specs for this lens.

Bob Salomon
25-Mar-2011, 07:23
Ian,

"However as Bob can confirm Rodenstock give the image circle for the Apo Sironar-N 135mm as 200mm @ Infinity & f22. That's taken from the official Rodenstock data on the Russian distributors website"

Why not just go to the actual factory web site for specs?

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/

This is the official Rodenstock Photo Optics web site of Qioptiq, the owner of Rodestock Photo Optics.

Leigh
25-Mar-2011, 08:28
The brochure does not call these lenses an Apo or an apochromatic corrected lens. However, the USA distributor at that time, Berkey Photo Marketing, did print their own brochures and some of those used the term "near Apo" in describing the Sironar N series. That was not a factory quote. The 11/1985 brochure also printed the same specs for this lens.
Hi Bob,

The reference I used was indeed from Berkey Marketing, document #564RK282 from 1982 (presumably February), for the multi-coated Sironar-N. It includes the statement:
"Above all, the Sironar-N offers a degree of color fidelity normally found only in apochromatic lenses."

Coupling this with the fact that the physical specs of the Sironar-N MC and the Apo-Sironar-N are the same leads me to conclude that adding the Apo was just a name change.

The re-design was released as the Apo-Sironar-S, which does have different specs.

Is this analysis correct?

Thanks.

- Leigh

Bob Salomon
25-Mar-2011, 08:53
The re-design was released as the Apo-Sironar-S, which does have different specs.

Is this analysis correct?

Thanks.

- Leigh

No. The Sironar N-MC became the Apo Sironar-N. The Apo Sironar-S was a totally new series covering a larger area, with better correct and uses ED glass which none of the N lenses used. Most of the N lenses covered 72° and the same lenses in the S series cover 75°. The Apo Sironar/Apo Sironar W series covered 80°.

Leigh
25-Mar-2011, 08:58
No. The Sironar N-MC became the Apo Sironar-N.
Yep. That's what I said:
"Coupling this with the fact that the physical specs of the Sironar-N MC and the Apo-Sironar-N are the same leads me to conclude that adding the Apo was just a name change."

The Apo Sironar-S was a totally new series covering a larger area, with better correct and uses ED glass which none of the N lenses used.
And again yes...
"The re-design was released as the Apo-Sironar-S, which does have different specs."

Perhaps my phrasing was less than precise. ;)

Thanks.

- Leigh