PDA

View Full Version : Fujifilm Instant 4x5, Fuji Film Holder vs Polaroid 545i, and Press Cameras

Fragomeni
4-Aug-2010, 04:29
I just posted this on APUG and another forum but I figured I should post it on here as well in hopes of finding a quick and clear answer. Anyway, I've found some discussions that begin to touch on this but I cant find any directly relevant answers to these specific questions.

As many of you know Fujifilm offers an instant black & white 4x5 film (Fujifilm FP-100B) that can be used in their Fujifilm pack film holders and which can supposedly be used in some Polaroid film holders. Is the film in the FP-100B pack individual like the old Polaroid instant 4x5 and can the film be used with a Polaroid 545i holder?

I have heard good things (and some not so good) about the Fujifilm instant films and my intention is to use this film with a Speed Graphic press camera that I've recently acquired. The camera has a the simple spring back and I do not want to alter the camera. If possible I'd like to use the Fujifilm instant 4x5 film in either a Polaroid 545i film holder or a Fujifilm pack film holder. I have heard that the Fujifilm pack film holder is too thick to fit into the spring back of a press camera. Can someone who has had personal experience in the matter please confirm of refute this claim?

Any help on how I can use instant 4x5 film in a Speed Graphic (Pre-Anniversary) press camera with spring back would be very much appreciated. Is it possible and exactly what accessory film holder do I need?

Thank you!

Ash
4-Aug-2010, 05:01
Fuji instant film comes in two sizes. Neither can be used in a 545 holder, as it is a packfilm.

corgan4321
4-Aug-2010, 12:19
Yeah, you need a Fuji PA45 or the older Polaroid equivilent for the pack film. And no way it will fit in your graphic spring back. I had that same problem with my Graphic View.

Fragomeni
4-Aug-2010, 12:24
Thanks for confirming that. So is there any current production instant 4x5 film and film holder combination that can be used with a Graflex spring back and other similar press camera designs?

Dirk Rösler
8-Aug-2010, 19:31
Since there is only one type of film being produced and the required holder does not fit your camera, the answer has to be no.

Fragomeni
8-Aug-2010, 20:38
Since there is only one type of film being produced and the required holder does not fit your camera, the answer has to be no.

Notice the part of the sentence that said, "...can be used...". Often creative individuals come up with ways of making things work in ways outside of how they were designed. That was as much a part of the question as the inquiry into the currently available films. Such solutions are often offered in these forums, unfortunately sometimes there are no such solutions and sometimes unnecessary replies are also offered. Thank you anyway.

Brian C. Miller
8-Aug-2010, 22:52
There's a Type 55 project under way. I found out while I was looking for info about Polaroid 550 (I have a back that I've been ignoring, because I didn't like the 550 film). They have been working with Efke 25, and also have been able to get the negative from the Fuji film pack.

Fragomeni
8-Aug-2010, 23:31
There's a Type 55 project under way. I found out while I was looking for info about Polaroid 550 (I have a back that I've been ignoring, because I didn't like the 550 film). They have been working with Efke 25, and also have been able to get the negative from the Fuji film pack.

Do you know where I can read up on this? Any link or anything? Sounds like it could be very interesting! Thanks Brian.

jp
9-Aug-2010, 05:29
Just checked; the PA45 holder does not fit a pre-anniversary speed graphic. It does fit the newer style back though like you'd be apt to have on a post-WWII speed graphic.

Brian C. Miller
9-Aug-2010, 07:17
New 55 Project (http://new55project.blogspot.com/)

Click on the image of the negative in his had to read about the reclamation. It looks really interesting!

sully75
9-Aug-2010, 11:33
Just wondering why you are interested in that film? Are you daunted by learning film development or did you have a specific purpose in mind? There are some fairly inexpensive ways to get into developing 4x5, and they are much more economical than any instant film. You could probably be developing for the price of a instant back and 2 packs of film, if you bought a changing bag, bessler drum and some containers for chemicals.

Fragomeni
9-Aug-2010, 20:34
Just wondering why you are interested in that film? Are you daunted by learning film development or did you have a specific purpose in mind? There are some fairly inexpensive ways to get into developing 4x5, and they are much more economical than any instant film. You could probably be developing for the price of a instant back and 2 packs of film, if you bought a changing bag, bessler drum and some containers for chemicals.

Personally, Im interested in all films :p I'll be experimenting with reclaiming FP-100b45. Developing 4x5 isn't an issue, Im not sure why anyone would exclusively use instant film at its current price as a substitute for regular 4x5 unless they just had money to burn or were working on a specific concept or project. Instant film is interesting and offers something unique. Why limit yourself to any one medium? Eventually most will find their ideal medium but how do you find that without experimenting!? Always experiment!!

jp
10-Aug-2010, 06:03
FP-100c 4x5 really isn't more expensive than normal 4x5 shooting and is in some cases less expensive.

10 sheets is $20-30 depending on whether you bought it on ebay or B&H with a couple dollars for shipping (I assume you don't order just one thing online when placing an order)

10 packs of color negative film are $20ish. Color processing is not going to be cheaper than B&W in terms of chemicals, and then many of us do not enjoy color printing, so we'll need a $400 scanner instead of a $75 scanner to scan 4x5 film.

50 packs of B&W film range from $50 for FP4+ to $72 (TMY2), add a couple $ for shipping, and you're over $1-$1.50/shot. Then add developing chemicals, printing paper, printing chemicals, and I'm sure you've come close to doubling your costs over the raw price of film.

fp100b45 at about $4/shot is a bit rich for my taste for an instant 4x5. The slightly smaller version is a very reasonable $1/shot on ebay, which seems worthwhile to play with.

It's just a different medium for me. I don't consider one a substitute for the other, just wanted to clarify the similarity in cost.

sully75
10-Aug-2010, 06:18
Personally, Im interested in all films :p I'll be experimenting with reclaiming FP-100b45. Developing 4x5 isn't an issue, Im not sure why anyone would exclusively use instant film at its current price as a substitute for regular 4x5 unless they just had money to burn or were working on a specific concept or project. Instant film is interesting and offers something unique. Why limit yourself to any one medium? Eventually most will find their ideal medium but how do you find that without experimenting!? Always experiment!!

Good answer. Maybe I'll try it!

rdenney
11-Aug-2010, 07:08
Given that the question asked for clear answers, I thought I would summarize.

1. FP100B and FP100B45 are different sizes. The first fits in the old Polaroid 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 cameras and packbacks. The Fuji holder that fits this smaller film is the PA-145, and it fits on a 4x5 camera. There is no holder for this film on a Speed Graphic 3x4 camera. But if you have, say, a Polaroid Passport camera or an old Model 195, this is the film you need.

2. FP100B45 is 4x5 pack film, and fits in the Fuji PA-45 holder, which fits on a 4x5 camera.

3. Neither of these packs fit under a typical spring back. They may fit under some bail-backs. My PA-45 does not fit comfortably under my Sinar film holder, however, and that provides more room than a Graflex Graphic (spring) back.

4. You can replace the Graphic back on an older Speed Graphic with the Graflok back from a newer (Pacemaker) Speed Graphic, as far as I know. The backs are just held in place by six screws. Both Fuji holders are compatible with Graflok/International backs. My Speed Graphic has a Graflok back and I use a PA-45 in it without issue.

5. No current instant film product fits in a Polaroid 545, which is designed for sheet film, not pack film. If you are quick, however, Fuji Quickloads are still available here and there and they will work in a 545 back. It is conventional sheet film, however, not instant film.

Rick "thinking the Speed makes a fine instant-film camera if it has a Graflok back" Denney

sully75
11-Aug-2010, 07:51
Like this guy:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/nyregion/03polaroid.html

Fragomeni
12-Aug-2010, 14:13
Like this guy:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/nyregion/03polaroid.html

Louis Mendes is a very well known Speed Graphic street photographer and is a beautiful example of creativity and staying true to the classics. I forget which Speed Graphic model he uses but its rigged with some interesting flashes and I believe a Graflock back that takes the Fuji 4x5 pack film holder.

Fragomeni
12-Aug-2010, 14:14
Given that the question asked for clear answers, I thought I would summarize.

1. FP100B and FP100B45 are different sizes. The first fits in the old Polaroid 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 cameras and packbacks. The Fuji holder that fits this smaller film is the PA-145, and it fits on a 4x5 camera. There is no holder for this film on a Speed Graphic 3x4 camera. But if you have, say, a Polaroid Passport camera or an old Model 195, this is the film you need.

2. FP100B45 is 4x5 pack film, and fits in the Fuji PA-45 holder, which fits on a 4x5 camera.

3. Neither of these packs fit under a typical spring back. They may fit under some bail-backs. My PA-45 does not fit comfortably under my Sinar film holder, however, and that provides more room than a Graflex Graphic (spring) back.

4. You can replace the Graphic back on an older Speed Graphic with the Graflok back from a newer (Pacemaker) Speed Graphic, as far as I know. The backs are just held in place by six screws. Both Fuji holders are compatible with Graflok/International backs. My Speed Graphic has a Graflok back and I use a PA-45 in it without issue.

5. No current instant film product fits in a Polaroid 545, which is designed for sheet film, not pack film. If you are quick, however, Fuji Quickloads are still available here and there and they will work in a 545 back. It is conventional sheet film, however, not instant film.

Rick "thinking the Speed makes a fine instant-film camera if it has a Graflok back" Denney

Thanks Rick, very concise summary.

sara_criss
17-Aug-2010, 11:57
Fuji instant film comes in two sizes. Neither can be used in a 545 holder, as it is a packfilm.

Well in my area i didn't say any two sizes, i wondered to hear from you, ill definitely go and ask to my near market place

BrianShaw
17-Aug-2010, 12:14
Often creative individuals come up with ways of making things work in ways outside of how they were designed.

One of the most intriquing modifications I have ever seen is on my Anniversary Graphic, where some creative individual exchanged the original Graflex back for a Grafok back. :D

"... speed makes a fine roll film camera too..."

sully75
18-Aug-2010, 15:27
Do any holders other than the PA-45 work with Fuji 4x5 instant film?

B.S.Kumar
18-Aug-2010, 15:48
The Polroid 550 uses the same film (FP100 45 series) as the Fuji PA-45, and the Polaroid 405 does that for the Fuji PA-145 (FP100 series).

KUmar