PDA

View Full Version : Attention Laserjet Fine Art Printer owners

lilmsmaggie
3-Aug-2010, 15:29
I have no experience making exhibition quality prints. I would like to have the ability to make my own 11X14 B&W and Color prints, possibly 16x20. I’ve read good and bad reports about Epson inkjet printers. Although Canon and HP have upped the ante, Epson seems to be the printer of choice for exhibition quality fine art prints. Not sure if the negative reports I’ve read about Epson are from those users that are technically challenged by printer setups and profiles, or just getting their hands on a bad printer. BTW - I’m shooting 4x5 and plan on having the negatives scanned.

What really concerns me, are reports of poor customer service from Epson technical support, or lack thereof based on my readings.

I’m considering investing in an inkjet photo printer and would like to hear from those that actually do most of their own print work. I’d like them to share their experiences with inkjet printers – negative or positive. And if they were to start anew, would they continue with the same printer or throw in the towel and outsource their printing.

Jim collum
3-Aug-2010, 15:40
i'm currently using an HP z3100, and *love* it. have had no problems with it at all. I usually print digital negatives, or b/w on baryta paper. These are exhibition grade prints. Before that, I had an Epson 7600, and also had no problems with that (with the exception that it would only print on either gloss or matte paper... to switch from on to another would cost up to $100 in ink... the HP has 12 ink cartridges...so no switching is necessary. The HP also has the ability to create it's own profiles, and to keep the color calibrated . As it stands, I'd stick with HP (not because Epson was bad, just that the HP works for me much better)

Greg Miller
3-Aug-2010, 16:13
I have owned a long series of Epson photo printers. I have not needed support or repair in several years. But when I did Epson went beyond what I expected of them. Whether that is still the case i do not know. If I were in the market for a new printer, I would have no problems purchasing another Epson.

Lenny Eiger
3-Aug-2010, 18:41
I have no experience making exhibition quality prints. I would like to have the ability to make my own 11X14 B&W and Color prints

Ain't nothing like great black and white ink. You might consider two printers.. Take a look at inkjetmall.com. I am pretty close to you - you might want to consider a visit... there are plenty of others. Nothing like seeing it for yourself...

Lenny

EigerStudios.com

Brian Ellis
3-Aug-2010, 21:14
I've owned four Epson printers, an 1160, a 1280, a 2200, and a 3800 over a period of about 8 years (the 1280 is still in use by my wife, the 1160 was upgraded to the 2200 and the 2200 to the 3800). All have performed very well. I only remember calling Epson support once, when I was having trouble with the feed on my 3800. I could understand the tech support person (unlike Adobe tech support in India, for example) and he fixed the problem.

Even if all other things were equal among Epson and other brands, I'd still buy an Epson because they've been in the higher-end photography print market for a long time. When you need help you can ask on line in this or many other forums and you're likely to get an answer because so many people use Epson. That's not necessarily the case with other brands that are newer to this market.

lilmsmaggie
3-Aug-2010, 22:00
Ain't nothing like great black and white ink. You might consider two printers.. Take a look at inkjetmall.com. I am pretty close to you - you might want to consider a visit... there are plenty of others. Nothing like seeing it for yourself...

Lenny

EigerStudios.com

Lenny - Thanks for the tip and link. I'll have to check it out. I've got lot's to learn when it comes to printing, OEM and third party inks.

jp
4-Aug-2010, 08:16
Anyone can get frustrated with good printing if they don't understand profiles and such or can't get someone to set it up for them. I went with Epson originally because profiles were available for their printer/paper combinations and I could find someone to help me configure it online or in person. Sort of why people in IT buy Cisco/IBM/Dell when there are many good competitors, or video camera buyers go for a Sony instead of some other choices. I don't use it a ton, but my epson 7600 has been very reliable and consistent since new.

Lenny Eiger
5-Aug-2010, 07:41
II would like to have the ability to make my own 11X14 B&W and Color prints, possibly 16x20. I’ve read good and bad reports about Epson inkjet printers. Although Canon and HP have upped the ante, Epson seems to be the printer of choice for exhibition quality fine art prints. Not sure if the negative reports I’ve read about Epson are from those users that are technically challenged by printer setups and profiles, or just getting their hands on a bad printer.

I would say that the statement that Epson is the printer of choice for this type of printing is true. Very general statement of course, but generally I would agree. This is why I would choose and epson in your case. There's a lot of support available from others using this technology.

I would add that the 7xxx or 9xxx are very much better printers from a manufacturing standpoint than the smaller ones. They are also meant to be repairable. None of them last as long as they should, but that's true across all manufacturers. There are plenty with good experiences but all you have to do is take them apart to get a lesson in planned obsolescence.

Lenny
EigerStudios

Peter Mounier
5-Aug-2010, 08:10
I don't have a strong opinion on which printers are best. Epson, HP, and Canon all make great printers (I've owned Epsons and Hp printers). I can say though, that I bought a Hp Z3100 after seeing side by side, B&W print comparisons from the then current Z3100 and the Epson 9880. The Z3100 undeniably made sharper prints of line pairs.
Being an LF photographer that likes to see sharp images, I chose the HP.

Peter

lilmsmaggie
5-Aug-2010, 12:11
I don't have a strong opinion on which printers are best. Epson, HP, and Canon all make great printers.
Peter

No problem - generally speaking, making the choice is usually the challenge. :)

I'm used to HP printers for document printing. In fact, HP has always been the printer of choice for that particular task. But alas, I have no experience printing images, especially exhibition quality images which I suspect takes a great deal more skill than just printing a document :D

I need to learn color management, calibration and profiling as well. I see that on Inkjetmall that Cone Editions Press offers workshops. I'm wondering if that would be helpful in getting off on a good foundation -in terms of establish a printing workflow, etc.

And I have a biggie decision to make: Do I want to stay with a Windows based system for printing, or move to a Mac OS for this task?

I have to admit, as a long time PC user, I'm just about fed up with Uncle Bill's OS.
I can use a Mac, not as proficiently as a PC but, I don't see that as a showstopper if I decide to move to a Mac. I've been eyeing a 27" iMac system for sometime. ;)

SAShruby
5-Aug-2010, 12:25
I'd never switch to Mac. They provide closed systems, their recent shift to intel processors was the only thing they saved their computer line. It's overpriced and not competitive. Their only advantage is that they have full contol over their closed system, but it is their grave as well in the future.

Peter Mounier
5-Aug-2010, 12:40
SAShruby, are you trolling?

Peter

SW Rick
5-Aug-2010, 12:45
This month, Epson has a $300 rebate on 3880, bringing the price down to the $850 range. Got my attention :)

SAShruby
5-Aug-2010, 12:59
SAShruby, are you trolling?

Peter

Excuse me? Just make a comment to previous post, someone is eyeing to switch to Mac... I just gave my opinion on my reluctance to make a switch.

Peter Mounier
5-Aug-2010, 13:12
SAShruby
Just checking to see if you're trying to have a mac vs. pc debate.
I thought the OP was asking about printers, and musing about a different OS.

Peter

SAShruby
5-Aug-2010, 13:27
SAShruby
Just checking to see if you're trying to have a mac vs. pc debate.
I thought the OP was asking about printers, and musing about a different OS.

Peter

Let's just say I made a "local" comment to a previous thread. I have no intention to flame the MAC vs. PC war.

As far as the topic, I can't compare different printers, but two weeks ago I bought Epson 7880 and... I'm very satisfied. One reason why I bought Epson is that I can use QTR and custom Piezo inks specifically designed for Epson printers. That what I got sold for Epson. The 78** and 98** series Epson’s are very good, no, taking back, great. The HP newest printers are 12 inks printers, so the newest Epson line. Comparing 78** 98** series printers to HP z3 series is, let's just say, not fair. There will be always better printers in the future as technology is still developing.

I waited two years for a good deal and I got it. If you can afford to wait, I would recommend doing so, there will be always someone you can buy a great printer for a more than half of the new price.

Better?