PDA

View Full Version : VC Paper and Filters - Quick Question

DanK
2-Aug-2010, 17:26
Quick question...

I avoid printing filters as best as I can, but I do use VC paper....

Can someone shed some light on this....

I was under the impression, VC paper, in simplified terms, adjusts to the contrast of the negative...ie. a contrasty negative will print to a higher grade, and vice versa for a softer negative...

If this were true and I were printing a contrasty negative, the VC paper should react as a higher grade paper? yes/no

Now if I were to use a 2 filter on this particular example - is the result a simulated 2 grade paper, or 2 grades below the original printed grade according to the VC paper and negative contrast?

Any input would be appreciated....I've "thunk" myself into a corner on this one...

Thanks,
Dan

Eric Biggerstaff
2-Aug-2010, 17:43
You must use the various filters to achieve the contrast you want. For most VC papers, by using no filter you will achieve somewhere close to the same contrast as if you were to use the #2 filter. This would be close to a standard grade 2 if you were using a graded paper. To increase or decrease contrast, you would then move up (higher contrast) or down (lower contrast) in filtration. Most filter sets allow you achieve grades in between full numbers as well.

DanK
2-Aug-2010, 18:02
You must use the various filters to achieve the contrast you want. For most VC papers, by using no filter you will achieve somewhere close to the same contrast as if you were to use the #2 filter. This would be close to a standard grade 2 if you were using a graded paper. To increase or decrease contrast, you would then move up (higher contrast) or down (lower contrast) in filtration. Most filter sets allow you achieve grades in between full numbers as well.

Thanks Eric,

So if I understand correctly - if printing with no filter is similar to using a #2 filter...I print without, so if I were to use a #2 (and adjusted time accordingly) I should see minimal change in contrast... correct?

I accidently developed a normal exposure at N+2....and really like the image -just overdeveloped...so I've had to dig out the filters...

Thanks again,
Dan

ic-racer
2-Aug-2010, 18:30
Using no filter is like a camera with an electronic shutter that still gives you a single mechanical speed if the battery fails.

So, it works as a single grade in an emergency, but otherwise I'm not sure why one would not use filtration.

DanK
2-Aug-2010, 18:52
Thanks IC,

I normally expose and develop quite consistently, and print VC without a filter. I prefer to have the adjustment available with VC, if needed...

I used to use only graded papers, but couldn't justify the additional cost of only using a few sheets here and there, and having partial boxes sit on the shelf...

Thanks,
Dan