PDA

View Full Version : Wisner Trad 4x5 / Moderate Wide Angle

Josh Divack
23-Apr-2002, 16:52
What is the consensus on the shortest focal length lens that can be easily used with moderate movement (i.e. normal for purposes of landscape photography) witho ut a bag bellows on a Wisner Traditional 4x5? Is it 110mm, 120mm, 135mm? Thank s.

Ben Hopson
23-Apr-2002, 21:00
I use a 135 APO Sironar S on my Traditional with plenty of movements. I also have a 90, but with the standard bellows it is limited to just a little tilt. I don't have anything between so I can not comment on the shortest focal length with moderate movements. I would also be interested to hear if the 110XL has room for movements without compressing the standard bellows too tightly.

David Haynes
23-Apr-2002, 21:04
Josh,

I have a Traditonal Wisner and regularly use my 120 HM Symmar with the regular bellows with no problems except for extreme perspective control subjects, like a close shot of a tall building.

I've also used my 90 Fujinon SW with the pleated bellows, although if it's not a pretty much straight-on shot, it offers little movement.

If you're only using a little front tilt (as in much landscape photography) you can facilitate using wider-than-normal lenses by tilting the entire lens stage backwards into the bellows. This frees up more room for focusing with the rack-and-pinion system used.

If you use a 90 or shorter very much, you'll be buying a bag bellows, IMO, and Wisner's design is quick and easy to change out and can easily be stowed in a backpack, etc.

Be forewarned, however, that either the pleated or bag red kid leather (standard) bellows cannot be used with IR film. He does offer an IR-proof synthetic bellows that's pleated, stiffer and generally unusable for anything wider than about 120-135.

Hope this helps.