PDA

View Full Version : fomapan problems

Liam:
1-Aug-2010, 06:15
Hi,

I have just started LF shooting and I seem to have problems with my box of fomapan 100 (4x5) As you can see in the photos below there are a lot of circular spots on the image, at first I thought it was dust but I can't understand how it could all be in the shape of a circle.

It is on all of the images I have taken as I haven't got my colour images developed yet, so is it me or do I have a very bad box of film?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/linus4/img286.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/linus4/img284.jpg

thanks

Scott Edwards
1-Aug-2010, 06:39
I looks like spots from air bubbles to me. If you use a tank, make sure that any wetting agent residue from your photoflo is washed and rinsed with soapy water, and then make sure the soapy water is thoroughly rinsed with hot water.

Be sure to give the tank a good thump after each agitation cycle.

Liam:
1-Aug-2010, 06:45
Hi Scott, I am using a paterson tank (taco method) I am using Rodinal 1:100 for 10 mins with 5 seconds agitation every 30 seconds. I also tap the tank after every agitation to try and remove the air bubbles.

Should I wash before development or after?

desertrat
1-Aug-2010, 09:15
I bought some very old Arista ortho litho graphic arts film from the great auction site. Lots of spots show up on the negatives just like yours. Most are more or less randomly distributed along the edges of the negatives, but there are small fields of them in the main image area. The film is badly fogged, either by age or heat or both. The black plastic inner wrapper was still factory sealed, and the tape was still intact on the box, so I know it wasn't light fogging.

I suspect age or improper storage before you bought your film could be causing your spots. Or maybe a manufacturing problem.

Liam:
1-Aug-2010, 09:25
The thing is that its a brand new box (expiry 2013) and its ruining all of my images so I just seem to be going backwards in terms of getting better :(

I have sent foma an email.

Scott Edwards
1-Aug-2010, 10:03
Hi Scott, I am using a paterson tank (taco method) I am using Rodinal 1:100 for 10 mins with 5 seconds agitation every 30 seconds. I also tap the tank after every agitation to try and remove the air bubbles.

Should I wash before development or after?

I wash my tanks after each use. I fill them with very hot water and dish soap, then let them sit for about an hour, then rinse them with very hot water and finally, let them air dry.

jp
1-Aug-2010, 11:20
As a next step you have to figure out if this problem is IN the film or ON the film.

Look at the negative in a situation where the light can reflect off the negative instead of transmit through it. Do you see those spots? If you do, it could be deposits from impure wash water, old hypo, bad photoflo. Clean a tray real good, put some distilled water in it, and let the negative soak in it for a half hour and see if it comes clean.

Liam:
2-Aug-2010, 10:28
Looking at the negative it seems that the spots are underneath the image, if that makes sense. It looks as though they where there before any light has got to them, which probably means it wasn't me.

Would it be an idea to try developing a negative that hasn't been used or maybe taking one out of the box and inspecting in daylight to see if any spots are visible? The only problem is that some of the negatives seem to be ok but that might be because they only show up on bright skys...

Liam:
3-Aug-2010, 13:45
Update.

I loaded and shot 3 negs tonight using the bottom of the box instead of the top, I also did a pre wash before developing (the water was light blue, I assume thats one of the layers?) The negatives look perfect, no spots that I can see and development/exposure looks spot on :)

I will have to wait until I scan them to be sure but I am now not sure if it was the pre wash or using the bottom of the box :(