PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

jstrpko
31-Jul-2010, 09:55
I am new to large format photography. I recently purchased a Century Studio camera that came with a massive lens. Carl Zeiss Jena Nr.293909 Triplet 1:5 F=70cm

I honeslty don't know what to do with the lens, it's larger than most of the cameras I've used. I'd like to take still shots and some portraits. I guess my question is: what is this lens? Does it have any value? I'm looking for an cost effective lens to replace it with, any suggestions? Thanks! - john

carverlux
31-Jul-2010, 10:05
I am new to large format photography. I recently purchased a Century Studio camera that came with a massive lens. Carl Zeiss Jena Nr.293909 Triplet 1:5 F=70cm

I honeslty don't know what to do with the lens, it's larger than most of the cameras I've used. I'd like to take still shots and some portraits. I guess my question is: what is this lens? Does it have any value? I'm looking for an cost effective lens to replace it with, any suggestions? Thanks! - john

John,

Looks like your lens was made around 1917. Carl Zeiss did not make many triplets at that time for photographic purposes as their focus was in promoting their Planar, Protar and Tessar lines. The most often seen application of Zeiss-branded Triplets were on projectors, not cameras.

In any case, it is very novel and not common. Does it have an aperture ring for adjusting the lens opening?

Carver

goamules
31-Jul-2010, 10:07
Nice camera and lens. While I'm not up on all Zeiss lenses, they were usually very good. Triplets are usually slightly soft, and very good for portraits. F5 is a very good speed, and a 700mm lens is extremely long and should be good for portraits. So...you have several "goods" there, why not just use the lens to start, and think about what you may want later?

jstrpko
31-Jul-2010, 10:29
Thanks for info. No, It doesn't have an aperture ring. There is a wood panel inside with a 4.25" diameter hole, I assumed was for a shutter of some sort. It does have a lot of "goods" I'm thinking I will try to use it, just feel a bit out of my depth.

carverlux
31-Jul-2010, 11:06
Thanks for info. No, It doesn't have an aperture ring. There is a wood panel inside with a 4.25" diameter hole, I assumed was for a shutter of some sort. It does have a lot of "goods" I'm thinking I will try to use it, just feel a bit out of my depth.

Just as I thought. I am pretty sure it was used for projectors (or "magic lanterns")which usually do not have apertures in their lenses. The 4.25" board also stand to reason as it may be a makeshift aperture to bring the performance of this f5 lens to a more acceptable level - this plate could limit the maximum lens opening from f/5 to f/6.5, making it probably more acceptable for taking pictures than wide open.

I am sure you will have lots of fun with it!

Carver

Steven Tribe
31-Jul-2010, 15:27
Zeiss made a couple of series of episcope objectives, although most have trade-names marked. There is a "epiotar" which is F5 and was made up to 800mm. If the board has the remains of screw holes near the opening it was likely fitted with a simple studio shutter like the Grundner which wasn't supplied with a mounting plate. Anyway, thats what my Century had mounted there.

Dan Fromm
31-Jul-2010, 16:09
Um, the late Charlie Barringer had several WW-I CZJ lenses like that one, all engraved Triplet. He told me that they were aerial camera lenses. I've seen a couple of them, don't recall whether they had diaphragms. Unfortunately he's no longer answering the 'phone and I don't think I can just bop over to Casa Barringer to look at them.

Steve M Hostetter
31-Jul-2010, 16:55
Hello John,,

I'd keep the lens and use it for portraits. All you need is a lens cap .. Use a slow film like iso 25 or paper neg iso 3
then use studio lights on lowest power , have your subject pose and focus, insert the film holder and pull the darkslide. Then make your studio dark, pull off the lens cap and pop the light manually.
I made a neck brace for my subjects to lean on so they don't move ..
Have fun,, hope you got enough bellows! :)

PS don't forget to put the lens cap back on before you turn the lights on