PDA

View Full Version : vaseline for negative pinholes?

wskmosaic
30-Jul-2010, 13:27
Does anybody have any experience with--or even have heard of--the use of vaseline to mask a pinhole in a negative and turn a black spot on a print to a gray/white spot? If so, how does one spply it? And how would one clean it off (presumably the base side of) the negative? I am unable to locate the source of this idea; I am sure I didn't dream it up.

tnx
Warren Kornberg

jp
30-Jul-2010, 13:59
I haven't tried it, but I imagine something like vaseline could mask a small scratch to some extent.

If your negative has a pinhole, you can fill it with a dot from a fine tipped marker.

wskmosaic
30-Jul-2010, 14:23
I haven't tried it, but I imagine something like vaseline could mask a small scratch to some extent.

If your negative has a pinhole, you can fill it with a dot from a fine tipped marker.

Thanks, JP; is a fine-tipped sharpie fine enough? And would you use black or red?
Warren

Jim Michael
30-Jul-2010, 14:56
You might be able to use Edwal No Scratch (available from Freestyle) to fill & diffuse. If not, I would use a Windsor & Newton Series 7 brush, size 000 and titanium white guache. Then spot the resulting white dot on your print.

Mark Sawyer
30-Jul-2010, 17:30
You can't diffuse away a spot where the image/emulsion is missing, so just fill it in as mentioned by others. There are a number of methods; I like a fine fountain pen. But practice on a bad negative or along the edges first.

Vaseline/nose-oil/no-scratch is only good for scratches on the film base where the image is undamaged.

DanK
30-Jul-2010, 17:40
I've used vaseline for scratched negatives on quite a few occasions...

A very, very little goes a long way...

(More commonly just swipe your finger across your forehead, or side of your nose...works just as well as vaseline - though not as pretty sounding)

Always apply on base layer, never emulsion...sometimes a cotton swab works well to apply it...

Never tried for pinholes, but depending on size (very small) should work fine...

I've covered pretty good size scratches for 16x20 enlargements....from even small negatives...

Cleaning, take same care as a cleaning a lens - I usually use wet cotton swabs to get the majority off, then re-wash the negative...

Also, keep in mind I print with a cold light, so the vaseline isn't as noticeable as it would most likely be on a condenser head...

If it works for you, I'd sure like to know...

Thanks,
Dan

jp
30-Jul-2010, 19:09
Thanks, JP; is a fine-tipped sharpie fine enough? And would you use black or red?
Warren

I have used a black fine sharpie. I suppose red could work too, but red is not as permanent as black.

John Kasaian
30-Jul-2010, 21:16
K-Y will wash off with water. It is excellent for lubing shutters for freezing cold weather as well.
Just tell the pharmacist is it for your camera:rolleyes:

David Karp
30-Jul-2010, 22:09
John,

Are you back? Or checking in from Yosemite?

imagedowser
31-Jul-2010, 05:38
My father, back in the early 50s used the oil from the sides of his nose with a dry finger. Thought it was about the best, because it was always there "at the tip of his nose". He taught color and commercial at NYI when it was brick and mortar in the early 60s.... Thanks, Ira.

jnantz
31-Jul-2010, 09:07
they used to make a "stick" for retouching pinholes ... it was like a crayon.

David Karp
31-Jul-2010, 09:42
Anyone try retouching dye? That might work.