PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Scanner

arcon5
30-Jul-2010, 02:54
Hi,

I am after a decent quality scanner but know nothing about what to look for in scanning equipment.

I am looking to scan photos around the size of 6x4 and print them on canvas at 12x8 maintaining crisp clear quality. Possibly also enlarge to 18x12.

What should I look for and what should I avoid when looking for scanners? My budget doesn't stretch very far. The issue isn't with the printing as I have two HP Z2100's so strictly with the digitalising of the physical photos.

Any advice appreciated....

Brian Ellis
30-Jul-2010, 06:52
How far is "doesn't stretch very far?" What's the end use of the prints you'll make from your scans (i.e. how much quality do you need?).

williamtheis
30-Jul-2010, 07:21
you will need a flatbed and not a drum of course (or a Leafscan/Hasselblad which are closer to enlargers). Lots of choices if you want to go to Ebay to find. suggest subscribing to

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ScanHi-End/

Peter De Smidt
30-Jul-2010, 07:53
So you're scanning prints? An Epson V700 should be able to do as well as anything. Remember, though, that prints don't have all that much extra detail. As such, you will lose a lot of quality moving 6x4 print to an 18x12 print, no matter what scanner you use.

arcon5
30-Jul-2010, 10:45
The scanned images will then be printed on canvas.

Budget around £4/500 or less.

Will have to do some research in to the type of scanner you recommend.

Brian Ellis
30-Jul-2010, 10:55
The scanned images will then be printed on canvas.

Budget around £4/500 or less.

Will have to do some research in to the type of scanner you recommend.

For about that amount you could get a new Epson 700/750, at least in the U.S. if I have my conversions right, which probably would be your best choice. I'm not sure what they sell for in the EU. If you wanted to save quite a bit you could look for a used or possibly refurbished Epson 4990. It was the predecessor to the 700/750 series but it can resolve basically the same amount as the 700/750 series, i.e. about 2100 ppi. I've used the 4990 for quite a while and haven't seen a need to replace it with a 700/750 but of course you'd have a used scanner rather than a new one.