PDA

View Full Version : Mounting advice

Yaakov Asher Sinclair
18-Mar-2002, 02:45
I think my drymounting days are drawing to an end. Is there a site which shows (in pictures preferably) how to attach mats with tape and to overmat? Many thanks in advance.

Robert A. Zeichner
18-Mar-2002, 08:00
Describe your problem with dry mounting and perhaps one of us can help you solve it.

Yaakov Asher Sinclair
18-Mar-2002, 11:15
Robert - I want the option to be able to have something reversible, that's all. Dry mounting is so final. (I also find it difficult to get rid of all the dust which cause bumps.) Many thanks.

jnorman
18-Mar-2002, 14:26
i support your desire to cease using dry-mounting. using linen tape hinge mounts is the universally accepted method to archivally mount any type of paper-based artwork. if you will do a google search for linen tape hinge mounting, you will find several websites that describe this process.

Glenn Kroeger
18-Mar-2002, 14:56
Digital printing has reintroduced me to dry mounting. In our climate (South Texas) with radical and rapid humidity changes, my color prints won't hang flat with just linen tape mounting. I figure I can always run another copy since I have saved (several copies on different media) the master digital image.

Roger Rouch
18-Mar-2002, 19:38
You can find some simple tape mounting info here: http://www.nedcc.org/plam3/tleaf66.htm

Robert A. Zeichner
18-Mar-2002, 21:24
The problem with bumps under the mounted print is easily controlled with a drafting brush. This is the horsehair duster that art framers used when drymounting and framing. They are made by K&E, Alvin and others I'm sure. As far as the finality of a mount, consider one of the archival mounting tissues that can be undone. Personally, I've been using MT-5 from Seal for years as do many other fine art photographers I know and while some museums might object, it sure makes a nice presentation. When museums start asking for my work, I'll give whatever they want, but until then, I prefer the look a feel of a mounted print and the look of a window mat as opposed to an over mat.

Pete Caluori
19-Mar-2002, 19:28
Greetings,

While not the best pictures around, the Light Impressions catalog has line drawings/pictures of the various mounting techniques. They're also a good source for supplies. You can find them on the WEB @ www.lightimpressionsdirect.com, but you'll want a printed copy of their catalog for the pictures.

Regards,

james mickelson
19-Mar-2002, 23:06
One of the reasons for dry mounting is the look of the print when framed. It makes a nice presentation. I don't understand why people dismiss dry mounting as inferior to taping a print to a mount board. Because you can remount the print if something happens to the mount? Absurd. If something so drastic as that happens to the mount then the print, which takes up most of the area of this, will most likely meet the same fate. So what does taping the print vs dry mounting the print have to do with it? By all means if you wish to tape your print to a mount thanby all means do so. But then you will have to contend with the warping and wrinkling of the print as the temp and humidity change. I personally don't think that enhances the image at all. Far from it. I think the warps and wrinkles detract from all the painstaking work that went into the image in the first place. When I go to photography trade shows and galleries I am appalled at prints that are all warped under the glass. It really is distracting.