PDA

View Full Version : Bear attack in Yellowstone

Ron Marshall
29-Jul-2010, 05:32
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/29/AR2010072900730.html?hpid=moreheadlines

BarryS
29-Jul-2010, 06:05
This was all the bear's/camper's/government's/park service's/nature's fault. The campers should have not been there in the first place/shot the bear/shot all bears/pepper sprayed the bears/calmly allowed themselves to be eaten. Never go into bear country/7-11/a gas station restroom/a trendy NYC club/anywhere without a gun/extra guns/a large sack of giant guns/common sense/a copy of Thoreau/a can-do attitude/respect for nature/a robot-ninja friend.

Walter Calahan
29-Jul-2010, 06:27
When the smoke clears most bear attacks come down to errors by people, not the bears. We are visitors to their forest, and we must play by their rules, not the rules of suburban America.

goamules
29-Jul-2010, 06:55
This was all the bear's/camper's/government's/park service's/nature's fault. The campers should have not been there in the first place/shot the bear/shot all bears/pepper sprayed the bears/calmly allowed themselves to be eaten. Never go into bear country/7-11/a gas station restroom/a trendy NYC club/anywhere without a gun/extra guns/a large sack of giant guns/common sense/a copy of Thoreau/a can-do attitude/respect for nature/a robot-ninja friend.

HA! Barry, thanks for summing up the next 127 posts....before they are made!

Bill_1856
29-Jul-2010, 07:02
I bet they were using digital cameras.

goamules
29-Jul-2010, 07:13
Everyone knows digital can't compete with film when being used to provoke bears. Or bear thread enthusiasts.

lecarp
29-Jul-2010, 07:47
I bet they were using digital cameras.

The Bears or the campers?

jwaddison
29-Jul-2010, 07:58

Perfect.

Michael S
29-Jul-2010, 08:47
I am a firm believer in the right to arm bears.

Diane Maher
29-Jul-2010, 09:53
Somehow this seems wrong. They are going to kill the female bear and decide what to do with the cubs, most likely not releasing them back into the wild? That's terrible! :eek: Close the campground instead. :cool: Surely there are other campgrounds in that park. The bear was probably trying to protect her cubs. I know, the article says it was a highly unusual, predatory attack, but how can they be certain? How can they tell the difference between that and how a mother would defend her cubs? For that matter, how do they know that they got the right bear? She could be an innocent bystander, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

goamules
29-Jul-2010, 10:33
When a bear tears into a tent in the dark, it's being predatory, not protective.

Greg Blank
29-Jul-2010, 15:14
And we should expect anything else from this very large omnivore?

When a bear tears into a tent in the dark, it's being predatory, not protective.

Greg Blank
29-Jul-2010, 15:17
Both. The bear liked Nikon and the campers smuggly thought Canon was better. In the end the Bear had the last word.

The Bears or the campers?

goamules
29-Jul-2010, 17:57
I was answering the previous post Greg, read them in order.

sidmac
29-Jul-2010, 19:51
A Bears gotta eat too! Camper is one of the bears 4 food groups. In southern Colorado we watch for Black Bear in the neighborhood.

brian mcweeney
29-Jul-2010, 20:38
Watch the bear lawyer up now.

Jeffrey Sipress
29-Jul-2010, 20:47
This is way too much fun! Time for a bear, uh, I mean a beer.

Dave Jeffery
30-Jul-2010, 01:15
I like the saying " A fed bear is a dead bear" as it always turns out to be the case.

A woman visiting Banff put some honey on her son's hand so she could get a picture of him with the bear. The bear starting chewing on her son's hand and she freaked out and started screaming so loudly that she managed to scare away the bear.

Brilliant!

Michael Cienfuegos
31-Jul-2010, 16:14
I like the saying " A fed bear is a dead bear" as it always turns out to be the case.

A woman visiting Banff put some honey on her son's hand so she could get a picture of him with the bear. The bear starting chewing on her son's hand and she freaked out and started screaming so loudly that she managed to scare away the bear.

Brilliant!

Too bad she can't be arrested for "Felony Stupid!"

Rakesh Malik
11-Aug-2010, 09:01
I am a firm believer in the right to arm bears.

I'm now envisioning a scene from "The Golden Compass" involved an armored polar bear...

jwaddison
11-Aug-2010, 11:57

Brilliant!

This sounds very much like an urban (rural?) legend.

Dave Jeffery
12-Aug-2010, 03:33
"This sounds very much like an urban (rural?) legend."

This happened in the early 80's. Lot's of bears around Banff and we saw them regularly along the highways when I lived there. Sometimes yellow ropes would be put up right beside condo complexes with signs "bear infested area". A guy stole a car and was being chased by the police so he drove to the bear infested area, probably hoping the police wouldn't chase him in there and he got mauled by the bear.

One day I was driving on the road between Radium and Invermere and saw a brown bear ahead on the highway so I honked my horn so it would scurry off the road but instead it turned and stood it's ground right in the middle of the highway looking right toward me. It wasn't a little brown bear after all. It was a huge grizzly bear big enough to easily rip open my truck. I drove right at it and at the last minute drove off the road onto the sloped embankment at 70 mph and went around the bear. If the truck had stopped for any reason it would have been a bad day.

Here is a funny sign posted at a campground in BC about 150 miles from where I encountereed that huge grizzly bear.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jul2008/BearWarning.htm

Lot's of great wildlife in Banff National Park as there is no hunting allowed and most people that live there have heard these stories as it is a small town.

Have Fun!

W K Longcor
12-Aug-2010, 07:49
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jul2008/BearWarning.htm[/url]

Have Fun!

Thanks Dave! I haven't had such a good laugh in a while. We have been having a lot of black bear problems here in northern NJ. I will be forwarding this sign picture to many of my farmer friends in the area.:D
Bill

John Koehrer
18-Aug-2010, 12:55
Campers! "Sure are good eatin'"
Bear.