PDA

View Full Version : Chance Meeting of John Bentley (colour carbon printer)

Richard K.
27-Jul-2010, 21:50
While driving home today, I saw an older gentleman (around my age!) walking the street near Roncesvalle and Bloor in Toronto with an 8x10 Deardorff slung over his back. I parked and caught up to him and engaged him in conversation and discovered his name, John Bentley, and learned that he works in permanent colour carbon process. I had no idea of who or how accomplished he was until I Googled him when I got home. I am, however, having trouble finding out a lot of information about him or seeing his prints online. Can anyone help? Thanks..

eddie
28-Jul-2010, 05:08
While driving home today, I saw an older gentleman (around my age!) .

i am surprised you can still walk around at your age! :)

Richard K.
28-Jul-2010, 06:55
i am surprised you can still walk around at your age! :)

Hey I walked for 8 hours straight in NYC last week, in the heat (100 DEG) of the day! The hospital stay right after was quite pleasant...:D

sanking
2-Aug-2010, 17:46
While driving home today, I saw an older gentleman (around my age!) walking the street near Roncesvalle and Bloor in Toronto with an 8x10 Deardorff slung over his back. I parked and caught up to him and engaged him in conversation and discovered his name, John Bentley, and learned that he works in permanent colour carbon process. I had no idea of who or how accomplished he was until I Googled him when I got home. I am, however, having trouble finding out a lot of information about him or seeing his prints online. Can anyone help? Thanks..

Richard,

John Bentley is one of the best color carbon printers in the world. I published an article on color carbon in Silvershotz a couple of years ago and John was one of the persons I wrote about.

I have spoken to John a few times, once when we met in Toronto and a few times by phone. He learned carbon printing fron Tod Gangler of Seattle and used to spend time in Mexico. In fact, he stayed for a while in the same RV park outside of Oaxaca where one of my friends had an appartment at the time. This was seven or eight years ago but I think John wants to get out of Toronto and back to Mexico. But who would not?

If you want to know more give Bob Carnie at Elevator Digital a call. He and Bentley in another very different life worked together as loggers in British Columbia.

Sandy King