PDA

View Full Version : Chevalier brass lens

maxmini
27-Jul-2010, 19:52
I have a big sized brass lens printed with- "Photographe a Verres Combine's
Invente par Charles Chevalier Ingenieur Arthur Chevalier Fils et Sue
Palais Royal 158 Paris"

How rare is this lens? Does anyone have this type of lens I checked the whole of the net but did see any info about this lens. Hope to hear from you'll.
Thanks

Ty G
27-Jul-2010, 20:07
I tried to copy and paste from the Vade Mecum with no luck. There are two paragraphs about Chevalier. Apparently, he supplied the lens for the very first cameras in 1839. The PVC lens (the one you've got) was made between 1841- 185? something. It is there in the Vade, but I just can't remember. It is most likely a Petzval design lens, and an amazing lens to have and use.

Petzval Paul
27-Jul-2010, 21:20
It's extremely rare and valuable! Where's you find it? Post a pic, please! It's most likely not a Petzval design, since Chevalier invented his own design. I believe that they did produce some Petzvals later on as Chevalier's design simply could not compete.

maxmini
27-Jul-2010, 21:39
This is the rack and pinion type lens and is indeed the Petzval design lens.

Steven Tribe
28-Jul-2010, 01:30
This the lens that Chevalier developed around 1840 and continued to produce until around 1860. It was defeated by the Petzval/Voigtländer design eventually. It is basically a meniscus lens with opportunities for mounting extra meniscus lenses near the first - a kind of trousse set - to increase speed. VM calls it a periscope type and says it wasn't very sharp. Definitely a collector's objective (glass display cabinet) - not a user lens! I'll see if I can find a auction photo. The shown type is supposedly from 1848.

Steven Tribe
28-Jul-2010, 02:47
There is a really good summary on the PVC Chevalier at antiquecameras.net (under Petzvals) which is maintained by a treasured member here! Including the relationship/competition with the Petzval design and a catalogue.

eddie
28-Jul-2010, 04:29
post a photo of it please

Petzval Paul
28-Jul-2010, 08:38
Chevalier invented his own lens which is distinctly different from Petzval's design.

From the inscription on your example, it would appear to be Chevalier's unique PVC design and not Petzval's. The fact that the barrels look similar and that both use rack and pinion focusing does not guarantee that the optical designs are identical. The engraving really says it all... "Invente par Charles Chevalier."

Steven Tribe
1-Nov-2010, 14:39
Maxmini never did return to make further contributions!
I don't think this could have been that early as Arthur was only a small child when his Grandfather Charles was doing his inventing!

Emil Schildt
2-Nov-2010, 17:37
excact same question posted at Apug..

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum192/79797-chevalier-brass-lens.html#post1085178

Steven Tribe
3-Nov-2010, 02:51
I must conclude that this is someone who knows what this is (very late Chevalier production when the company was non-competitive) and is hoping that the magic words Chevalier will bring a buyer within his clasp!