PDA

View Full Version : Scanning 4x5

spacegoose
27-Jul-2010, 14:04
I had an idea and am wondering if anyone else has tried ... to use cling vinyl to hold down a negative for scanning? I imagine cutting the vinyl almost as big as a 4x5 negative - perhaps covering just the borders ... cling vinyl is that stuff that decals that cling to windows, refrigerators, and other flat smooth surfaces - like a scanner glass :) is made of - Thanks,

sg

Bruce Watson
27-Jul-2010, 14:23
Static electricity is anathema to scanning. Think about it; you can probably figure out why.

dng88
27-Jul-2010, 15:30
Unlike the medium format, the V700 seems to be able to hold the 4x5 quite flat. I guess a testing and comparison is necessary to see how necessary is that, IMHO.

Gem Singer
27-Jul-2010, 15:42
When scanning a 5x7negative, I use a piece of anti-Newton glass to hold the negative flat on the scanner glass, making sure that the negative is placed with the dull emulsion side against the glass.

The anti-Newton glass is placed so that it's frosted side is against the shiny base of the film.

How are you going to prevent Newton rings if you place smooth cling vinyl against the smooth side of the film?

mdm
27-Jul-2010, 17:45
I have tried to use it for wet mounting on a betterscanning holder. I had trouble with creases in the cling film. I am shure you could work out how to do it without those if you had the time and inclination. It is much thinner than mylar. I am talking about glad wrap, though in my case I have a commercial bulk roll of the stuff lying around.

David