PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Lensboard question

Ramiro Elena
24-Jul-2010, 10:45
Just got one of those black 140x140mm lens boards from Jinfinance (some of you buy from him) for my Norma.
I thought being the same size as the gray Norma boards I would have no problem with them. Well, it's a tight fit. So tight it doesn't actually work.

Have any of you tried those boards in your Norma? Is there a trick to it or they simple don't work?
Thanks!

deadpan
24-Jul-2010, 13:04
There are many boards out there (as i've discovered) that are sinar sized apart from thickness. Some you can still squeeze in, others are impossible. On some the (powder coat?) is too thick, making the overall dimension out by a mm. Depending on how brutal you are with your sinar and the board you MAY be able to sand/ squeeze into your standard. I ended up buying genuine sinar & chamonix CF boards and they both fit in my camera (that isn't a sinar, but takes sinar sized boards, although I have had the same experience with genuine sinar cameras as well).

Ramiro Elena
27-Jul-2010, 08:23
Thanks deadpan, a little filing did the trick.

Drew Wiley
27-Jul-2010, 09:07
I learned a long time ago never to buy a generic "Sinar/Horseman" lensboard for an
actual Sinar.

Richard K.
27-Jul-2010, 09:23
I learned a long time ago never to buy a generic "Sinar/Horseman" lensboard for an
actual Sinar.

But these are copied so accurately (right down to the "Swiss Made" and Sinar embossing) that how do you know you're getting a genuine one? I guess buying from a dealer is OK but other than that, how do you know?

rdenney
27-Jul-2010, 10:28
Shoot, I've bought generics, Horseman, gen-yooo-wine Sinar, and probably two or three rip-offs of same without knowing it, and they all fit on my real Sinar camera just fine. If one was a bit tight, I'd just dress it up with a file or some sandpaper.

The only issue I've found with knockoffs is that the paint they use is too shiny. Sinar boards are painted with anti-reflective matte black on the backside. I've applied flocking paper to some of the cheapies I've bought to solve that problem.

Rick "whose only fitment problem on the Sinar with generics has been the little-too-snug Shen-Hao 6x12 back" Denney

Ramiro Elena
27-Jul-2010, 14:26
Well, my main concern was that the board might have not fit because it is made for newer Sinar cameras and not for the Norma. The fact that the boards are black led me to think this. I am not familiar with new Sinars.
This boards though, seem very well constructed, solid, thick and matte black.
I think I will however, try to find original Norma boards to save time and surprises.

rdenney
28-Jul-2010, 05:14
Well, my main concern was that the board might have not fit because it is made for newer Sinar cameras and not for the Norma. The fact that the boards are black led me to think this. I am not familiar with new Sinars.
I think I will however, try to find original Norma boards to save time and surprises.

My understanding is that the specification for boards and bellows did not change a bit when the Norma was replaced with the F and P series cameras. Any board made for the newer Sinar cameras should fit fine on a Norma, and if it doesn't, it probably won't fit properly on a newer camera, either. I wouldn't hesitate to use sandpaper to attain a good fit and then use it.

Rick "beat to fit; paint to match" Denney

Daniel Unkefer
1-Aug-2010, 08:58

I think the Norma boards look better than the black ones, on my Norma cameras. Better to keep it original, if you can. But no problem at all to use modern, if that is what you have.