PDA

View Full Version : Phillips Explorer and Compact II 8x10

patrickhough
23-Jul-2010, 18:44
I recently visited a friend of mine in poland, who has a Phillips Compact II 8x10, after about a week experimenting with it i was in love! now as you can guess im dying to get my hands on one. Even the explorer model which im told is just as amazing.

has anyone any idea where i might start looking for one? (other than keeping my eyes peeled on ebay of course),( ive combed google to no avail), or knows of anyone thinking of selling? I know how rare these cameras are, and its probably just a matter of being patient until one turns up.

i once read that the Chamonix 8x10 is just as good, but im not fully convinced.:)

Drew Wiley
23-Jul-2010, 19:00
These are very difficult to acquire. Once in awhile one seems to turn up for sale on
this forum or ebay, but used Phillips cameras command very high prices. You might post a WTB. It is my own most used camera, but a Chamonix would be a more realistic option in a new camera, a certainly a lot cheaper.

Bill_1856
23-Jul-2010, 19:08
If you like the Phillips, you might love the Richard Ritter even better.
http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

Drew Wiley
23-Jul-2010, 19:18
Dick Phillips first made one of these cameras for personal use, then a few more as
samples. I bought one of these first ones, and it still works superbly. The interesting thing is that he described it as an entry-level inexpensive 8X10, and did indeed at
that time sell them very reasonably. The pro camera shops made fun of the camera
because of its lack of fancy wood or die-cast alloys; and relatively-speaking it was
a very easy camera to manufacture - basically made with simple shop tools. The
secret was in the innovative simplified design and a custom-made plywood which was a lightweight laminate of fiberglass and epoxy-impregnated cherrywood. Once
the idea caught on, he couldn't keep up with the demand, so had to sub out a lot of
the manufacturing, and hence had to raise the price substantially. The very high prices you see now are simply due to scarcity - none of us wants to let go of the
camera we use!

patrickhough
23-Jul-2010, 19:27
Does the email address for him that was listed here origionally still work? i live in Ireland so i cant phone so see if he knows of anyone selling.

Oren Grad
23-Jul-2010, 19:42
Dick retired recently and moved from Michigan to Texas. I don't have up-to-date contact info, but I understand he's given up on trying to keep track of interested buyers / sellers. The best thing is just to keep an eagle-eye out.

EDIT: I see that a Compact II was sold just a few days ago on eBay, by a seller in the UK, for £3000.

patrickhough
24-Jul-2010, 06:06
do you have a link for that?

ic-racer
24-Jul-2010, 06:11
Since I got my Shen Hao 8x10 last year I have seen about 7 Phillips 8x10 cameras on the market that I have aware of. I have been watching just to see what people are paying for these. (I love my Shen Hao BTW).

For the price of a Phillips 8x10 on the used market I got a new Shen Hao 8x10 and second hand 210 Angulon, 250/6.7 Fujinon, 300/5.6 Fujinon and 125/8 Fujinon, 8 plastic film holders, 2 of them new in box, 100 sheets of Kodak T-max 400 8x10, a Durst L1840 10x10 enlarger and CLS2000 head with 360, 300, 250, 210, 150, 80 lenses and 4 mixing boxes :)

There is an 8x10 Phillips Advantage #175 at my local dealer now ($3495): http://www.igorcamera.com/large_format.htm

I have not gone to look at it because I'd have to sell a boat-load of stuff to afford it :p

Oren Grad
24-Jul-2010, 08:01
do you have a link for that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHILLIPS-COMPACT-II-8X10-10X8-LARGE-FORMAT-CAMERA-/320560780770?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Photography_Film_Cameras_ET&hash=item4aa2e955e2

patrickhough
24-Jul-2010, 08:47
damn i just missed out on that. strange that there was only one person who bid on it. usually there is full on war for these things.

Brian Ellis
24-Jul-2010, 09:01
damn i just missed out on that. strange that there was only one person who bid on it. usually there is full on war for these things.

Maybe people are coming to their senses and have finally figured out that while all of the various Phillips cameras were very fine cameras, there are many other equally fine cameras available for a lot less money. When you pay more than about $2,500 maximum for a Philips 8x10 you're paying for cult status, not anything the camera will do that others can't.

Oren Grad
24-Jul-2010, 09:04

That camera had been listed at higher prices without a sale. The seller's strategy was to protect himself with a high starting price. He adjusted it downward a bit this time and finally found a buyer.

patrickhough
24-Jul-2010, 15:54
maybe i should just give up and go for a Wehman, chaminox, or shen hao 8x10 instead. they seem to be the equivalent. thoughts?

BILL3075
24-Jul-2010, 15:58
PHILLIPS=CHAMONIX. Virtually the same camera

Gem Singer
24-Jul-2010, 18:05
Does anyone happen to know where in Texas Dick Phillips retired to?

I'd like to contact him if he's here in my little corner of the world.

Frank Petronio
24-Jul-2010, 18:40
At first I was troubled that Chamonix copied the Phillips so blatantly but then someone who knew Dick said that he took it as a compliment and it didn't hurt him one bit. Of course Shen-Hao copies Chamonix (and Ebony) and does a pretty nice job too, so as long as you can handle your dollars going to China, they are fine cameras. I hear the people who own/work for Chamonix are serious photographers and at least the money is going to them and not their government.

BILL3075
24-Jul-2010, 21:15
Yes, Frank: what you say is true. Dick himself told me the same thing.

I read somewhere that Chamonix was going to avoid making 8x10 cameras as long as Dick continued making them. Not sure if it's true, or, if so, if they kept their promise, though...

It's also my understanding that Chamonix sent Dick an 8x10 camera as a gift. A Thank You? Out of a sense of guilt? Who knows.....

raizans
24-Jul-2010, 21:25
i almost got carried away trying to get one of these things. prices have gone crazy, as well as those who want one. =)

looking at a canham mqc57 broke the spell, though. there's no way i'm going to spend more than 3k on a new 8x10! the jmc810 is a strong candidate—i just wish it had rear swing. wouldn't mind if it was only double extension, either.

Richard K.
24-Jul-2010, 21:33
Yes, Frank: what you say is true. Dick himself told me the same thing.

I read somewhere that Chamonix was going to avoid making 8x10 cameras as long as Dick continued making them. Not sure if it's true, or, if so, if they kept their promise, though...

It's also my understanding that Chamonix sent Dick an 8x10 camera as a gift. A Thank You? Out of a sense of guilt? Who knows.....

Yes Dick told me the same thing the last time I talked to him. The camera gift was to show appreciation for his innovation and for his accommodation of their initiation of fabrication...:D

Richard K.
24-Jul-2010, 21:37
maybe i should just give up and go for a Wehman, chaminox, or shen hao 8x10 instead. they seem to be the equivalent. thoughts?

If you liked the Phillips (which you did), you will love the Chamonix. It's a Phillips with nicer wood and even sturdier focusing track. I have or 've had 5 Chamonixes and I assure you that they will satisfy you as much as a Phillips...

patrickhough
25-Jul-2010, 12:38
indeed, i really am starting to come round to chamonix.

however if ive seen phillips compact II kits go on ebay for around 3000 usd, the chamonix sells fr 2,2880 new for the body, which isnt that much of a saving. unless of course i start looking for a used chamonix kit. arrgh. the choices are endless!

Frank Petronio
25-Jul-2010, 13:13
It would be interesting to hear a cold, hard comparison of the more subtle refinements and quality differences....

Not that I am looking for an 8x10 but after lugging a Norma around, these would be the only light ones I care about.

jeroldharter
25-Jul-2010, 15:18

I have a Wehman 8x10 and think it is great. Weighs only 8 pounds, folds into its own case, is very simple and quick to operate, very durable, easily and cheaply useable for 4x5 and 5x7 formats, relatively inexpensive, and made in the USA. Also, it works with lenses from 90mm (bellows are tight but doable) to 600mm with the standard bellows. It almost makes my 4x5 obsolete because it weighs only slightly more and is reasonable compact when folded.