PDA

View Full Version : 5 x 7 back for a 5 x 4 camera?

joshdaskew
23-Jul-2010, 09:20
Hi, I saw on Quans intro page to large format photography that when he first started on 5 x 4 that he had an extension back that allowed him to take 5 x 7 format. I would be very interested in this as I dont really want to shell out for a whole new camera when I am not even sure that 5 x 7 is a format I would pursue. I mainly plan to shoot portraits with a standard lens on it (180-210mm). Anyone know any more about this and who I could possibly contact and what the limitations are for those focal lengths (if any)? I currently have a Chamonix 45N-1.. Ok, thanks so much. Best Regards Josh

Bill_1856
23-Jul-2010, 09:23
I have one for my Nagaoka. It is a royal PITA.

ic-racer
23-Jul-2010, 09:28
An extension back, if you can find the right one for your camera, might cost as much as another camera. Extension backs are not good if you like wide angle lenses.

Monorails with interchangable stardards can be like that also, because the 5x7 rear standard may only be available when attached to a complete camera.

Bob Salomon
23-Jul-2010, 12:05
We currently have 2 new Wista 57 adapters for the 45 Wista DX cameras for sale on our factory store.

http://hpmarketingstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17

gostiola
1-Aug-2010, 08:39
Hello Bob:

Can I connect the adapter 5x7 Wista to a camera chamonix?

thanks

Bob Salomon
1-Aug-2010, 09:04
Hello Bob:

Can I connect the adapter 5x7 Wista to a camera chamonix?

thanks

Have no idea. If they copied the back on a Wista then it probably could fit.

Lachlan 717
1-Aug-2010, 14:36
Josh,

Have you checked availability and cost of 5x7 film and processing where you're from?

Joshua Dunn
1-Aug-2010, 15:20
Josh,

I was just talking about this with another member over PM so I’ll tell you what I told him.

I have a Shen-Hao 6x17 back (https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=123)They are made in China so the manufacturing is not like the Swiss; you have to be very careful in mounting it to your Grafloc back. Once mounted it is light tight.

It is offset from the back of the camera making the film plane further back than it normally is. So you can vignette if you use a lens too short or too long. If you use a shorter lens (like a 90mm) use a recessed board. I have shot with as short a lens as 72mm, but it was very difficult. I mostly used a 90mm and 150mm.

The film back is two parts, a ground glass for viewing and the film back itself. Once you compose on the ground glass you have to remove it and then install the film back to make the exposure. It works but is a little clumsy and the whole setup is a little bulky.

They do not all fit the same on all cameras. On the Sinar you can only mount it horizontally, not vertically. To shoot vertical you cannot turn the back on the rear standard. You have to turn the entire camera on its side. On the Horseman L series it is the opposite, you can only mount the back vertically, not horizontally. This is simply due to the large size of the back running in to different external parts of the cameras because of its size.

With that in mind you can make some great images with it once you learn its quirks. The only reason I’m looking to sell it is I have upgraded to a 6x17 back from K.B. Canham, but that requires a 5x7 camera, it won’t work on 4x5. What camera were you looking to mount it on?

Hope this helps…

-Joshua

Lachlan 717
1-Aug-2010, 16:08
5x7" format, not 6x17cm.

Similar in principle (adding a back to change format), just different format…

Josh,

I was just talking about this with another member over PM so I’ll tell you what I told him.

I have a Shen-Hao 6x17 back (https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=123)They are made in China so the manufacturing is not like the Swiss; you have to be very careful in mounting it to your Grafloc back. Once mounted it is light tight.

It is offset from the back of the camera making the film plane further back than it normally is. So you can vignette if you use a lens too short or too long. If you use a shorter lens (like a 90mm) use a recessed board. I have shot with as short a lens as 72mm, but it was very difficult. I mostly used a 90mm and 150mm.

The film back is two parts, a ground glass for viewing and the film back itself. Once you compose on the ground glass you have to remove it and then install the film back to make the exposure. It works but is a little clumsy and the whole setup is a little bulky.

They do not all fit the same on all cameras. On the Sinar you can only mount it horizontally, not vertically. To shoot vertical you cannot turn the back on the rear standard. You have to turn the entire camera on its side. On the Horseman L series it is the opposite, you can only mount the back vertically, not horizontally. This is simply due to the large size of the back running in to different external parts of the cameras because of its size.

With that in mind you can make some great images with it once you learn its quirks. The only reason I’m looking to sell it is I have upgraded to a 6x17 back from K.B. Canham, but that requires a 5x7 camera, it won’t work on 4x5. What camera were you looking to mount it on?

Hope this helps…

-Joshua

John Kasaian
1-Aug-2010, 17:09
You could just get a 5x7 camera and put a 4x5 reducer back on it. Most old flatbeds like the Ansco and B&J 4x5 cameras are actually 5x7 cameras which will accept 5x7 backs quite easily (which are probably easier to handle than a 5x7 "extension")

Steve M Hostetter
1-Aug-2010, 19:32
There are advantages to an expansion back ,,, need less bellows to shoot longer lenses,,, so it's possible you'll need less extension rail also.

I just about have my 8x10-11x14 expansion back completed ... I can shoot a 600mm lens on an 8x10" Korona w/ only one rail and a 2" extension lens board w/ the 11x14" expansion back attached.

I can use a 915mm with several inches of rail left using two rails at infinity.. I can use a 210mm as a min. focal lenth with a 1-1/2" recess lens board attached and I can use that lens at it's hyper focal distance with the front rail in the up position so it is not in frame.

My 8x10-11x14 back weight is just over 2-1/2 lbs ,, total weight of back and camera is 11 pounds . I'll dedicate a thread to the beast when I get a chance..

Givin all that,, I can't really tell you how your wista will perform with a 5x7 expansion back since I didn't design it..

I'd check w/ Bob on the specs of the one he sell's . $350.00 sounds like a good price

Jim Rhoades
2-Aug-2010, 07:55
Since your main interest is portraits I would assume that your working in a "studio" or at least near a car or truck. For less than the cost of a 5x7 extension back you could buy a used 5x7 monorail.

I think your standard 180-210 is too short for what your after. Look to a 240-300. The short lived Fujinon 250 f/6.3 can be had for a song because they did not cover 8x10 as well as their f6.7. This makes it a real deal for the 5x7 shooter.