PDA

View Full Version : Help needed in choosing camera

xiaubauu
22-Jul-2010, 18:39
Hi, I used to own a ShenHao TZ45IIA field camera and I sold it for a Wista 45VX. However, 2 years ago, I sold off all of them in favour of digital SLR for my photography. Now, I feel, for the photography I took, I need to do more shifts/tilts, so I am coming back to LF again. Being second time owner, I have gone for a 72mm XL and a SW 120mm for the huge movement available. However, for the body, I am stuck with 2 idea. One budget and light, and the other is a slightly larger and hearver, more expensive option

First is Chamonix 045N-2, the other is Technikardan 45S (which I found a good deal on). Which one should I go for? Technikardan is slightly heavier, but I check the size, should still fit nicely in my Billingham 550. Please advice...

Sam
22-Jul-2010, 19:27
Well the Chamonix is a great camera and Ive had a chance to use one for a few days, my only complaint was that the front standard has to screwed down into the appropriate hole, and moved when changing from short to long lenses. I know its minor but I guess I am so used to how my Tachihara operates it would take me some time to get used to it. I should mention that I would buy one in a heart beat if I could too! Just something to think about. I would pick the chamonix over the Technikardan 45S, the chamonix seems like it would be easier and better suited to field use. Just my 2 cents.

Sam
22-Jul-2010, 19:29
BTW I really like the focusing knob and its placement on the chamonix.

xiaubauu
22-Jul-2010, 19:45
Thanks, Sam,
I have tried out the 045N-1 at the shop, and yes, I got the same problem with the front stand screw down, that seem insecured. But people have not reported any problem with it on the field, so I guess that might just be my amateurish feeling.
Technikardan should have better movement, but at 2 time the price and also weight 3 times as much. I don't know whether it's a good choice...

Lachlan 717
22-Jul-2010, 19:52
I use a 72mm on a Shen Hao XPO with a bag bellow (it will work with normal bellow, but basically no movements).

It will also go up to 420mm.

I think they're selling for about $800 at Badger.

xiaubauu
22-Jul-2010, 20:28
I use a 72mm on a Shen Hao XPO with a bag bellow (it will work with normal bellow, but basically no movements).

It will also go up to 420mm.

I think they're selling for about $800 at Badger.

Lachlan, I saw the XPO at the shop here in Shanghai. and given that the movement is limited for the 72mm, I think I will pass.

Lachlan 717
22-Jul-2010, 21:42
Lachlan, I saw the XPO at the shop here in Shanghai. and given that the movement is limited for the 72mm, I think I will pass.

I doubt that it is any more limited than any of the others. You'll probably need a bag bellow and/or recessed lens board for whichever camera you get.

And I HATE recessed lens boards. I blame my limited time out of the trees for not allowing my hands to evolve to being dainty.

I got a Horseman bag for mine for under $50. Another advantage of the Shen - you have access to so many Sinar/Horseman accessories.

xiaubauu
22-Jul-2010, 23:39
I tried out the Chamonix 045N-1 with the standard bellow, I can get quite a good movement on the 72mm with normal lens board. Apparently, according to some owner, they can get almost full movement of the camera when using the universal bellow come standard with N2.

I guess I jsut have to wait and try that out.

dave_whatever
23-Jul-2010, 01:53
If you're just gonna be using a 72mm and a 120mm then look at the Shen Hao TFC45 model - its "inspired by" the ebony SW45, so non-folding, light, quick to set up, ideal for wide to normal lenses. Not too expensive either.

xiaubauu
23-Jul-2010, 02:26
If you're just gonna be using a 72mm and a 120mm then look at the Shen Hao TFC45 model - its "inspired by" the ebony SW45, so non-folding, light, quick to set up, ideal for wide to normal lenses. Not too expensive either.

I have owned the shenhao before, not too keen about them, the knob doesn't hold too well after 2 year of usage...
Shenhao is basically out of my choice.
However, Chamonix has almost the same type of knob/screw, maybe that's not such a good idea...

dave_whatever
23-Jul-2010, 02:35
Which knob? I've had mine for almost 18months now, no problems.

xiaubauu
23-Jul-2010, 15:01
Which knob? I've had mine for almost 18months now, no problems.

The front stand riser knob. I was using the TZ45IIA. Don't know whether it's my machine which is a lemon or not.