PDA

View Full Version : Minneapolis-Area Landscapes in Mid-October

J Ney
22-Jul-2010, 16:34
Hello,

I'm going to be in the Minneapolis-area on business in mid-October and was wondering about any nice spots "off the beaten trail" for landscape photography?

I would probably want to stay within an hour or 2 of downtown Minneapolis unless there was something really spectacular.

Does anyone have any tips?? How is October typically in that part of MN??

Also... do I have any chance of running into Big Foot?? :eek:

Darren H
27-Jul-2010, 07:22
There are some great locations not too far away and that is also a great time of the year as you will be around peak colors.

Most of my experience was south of the Twin Cities along the Mississippi. It is a great landscape of bluff country along the river. I had an article published over at Nature Photographer Network on the area:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0609/dh0609-1.html

My favorite areas would be down around Winona which is a good couple of hours from MSP so it might be at the limit of your range. However there is nice bluff country from
Red Wing south so thats within an hour.

Going north almost two hours would get one to Banning State Park. I was only there once so cannot be much help. Joel Truckenbrod, who posts here, has some stunning work from Banning. Google him and check out his site.

There are some great state parks in Minnesota so check out the state DNR site to see what might be close.

For sure there is neat stuff to see. I have not seen bigfoot, but I have run into bear. Take lots of film and have fun!

adamc
27-Jul-2010, 07:56
I switch to color film during October. My favorite places to photograph that time of year are Banning & Interstate State Parks. With all the rain we've been getting, the fall colors should be really nice this season. If you're looking for fall colors, mid October will probably be peaking in the central to southern parts of the State. If you can drive a little further than 2 hours, I'd definetly recommend checking out the North Shore of Lake Superior. 3 hours drive will get you to Split Rock Lighthouse (which is celebrating it's 100th birthday this year).

Check out this State Parks map (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/map.html)
Any of the State Parks along the eastern border of the state are excellent. From Grand Portage on Lake Superior down to the St. Croix valley and all the way down to the Great River Bluffs along the Mississippi - take your pick, they're all great!

Adam

J Ney
2-Aug-2010, 08:35
Adam & Darren,

Thank you so much for your help! This is some great homework for me to follow up on.

Thanks again,
J

Chilidog
20-Jul-2011, 13:10
I realize that this post is a bit of thread necromancy, but back in the ealy 90's I traveled to Minneapolis on buisness quite a bit and one of my favorite location was at Minnehaha Falls right in town. I had a Fuji 645 folder back then and I got some great shots.