PDA

View Full Version : Cokin Lens Shade

bobwysiwyg
22-Jul-2010, 02:53
Has anyone ever used them? I use Cokin P system for filters, and for the occasional shade need, I was considering these.

lenser
22-Jul-2010, 06:35
I have the clip on one for both the A and P sizes. Haven't seen them in ages and I would probably take a hour to find where i stashed them. Using a dark slide or just a flat hand seems to be my preferred way of shading the lens. That may be because most of my work is wide angle and the shades definitely vignette with anything wider than normal. Even the filter mounts were enough of a problem that I hack sawed one of each size down to only one slot and the back rotating slot for use with my extra wide lenses.

bobwysiwyg
22-Jul-2010, 06:43
Lenser, thanks. I just picked up a 90mm that I haven't mounted as yet. I take it from your reply, even this will cause problems with just the filter holders?

luis a de santos
22-Jul-2010, 06:58
I have one and works well but there is a peculiar thing you have to be careful with.
The extendable shade shoots out from the front of the filters slot so there is a space on top and bottom to allow the filters to be placed and in the case of graduated slide up and down.
Light enters from both places and bounces from the surface of the filters and can give artifacts particularly if there is light or the sun directly from above.
So I place a little piece of dark cloth on top of the slots when I am ready to shoot and it works beautifully. You can use any type of dark something material or even a bit of dark aluminum foil.

Try it you will like them.

Best Luis

bobwysiwyg
22-Jul-2010, 07:14
Luis, thanks to you as well. I had wondered about the slots and light myself. I will be careful as you note.

lenser
22-Jul-2010, 09:19
Bob,

I use my 90mm for much of my architectural work, both interior and exterior. When I I am shooting horizontal, I make sure that the "ears" on the filter holder are at top and bottom and when I am shooting vertical, they go to the sides so they are always oriented on the 'cropped' side of the image.

My reluctance to use the shade stems from vignetting on shorter lenses and strictly for convenience of getting at and rotating the polarizer in particular with all lenses.

Again, I find it more convenient to just use a hand or a dark slide to shade the lens during exposure, but that's just my way of working.

bobwysiwyg
22-Jul-2010, 10:10
Bob,

I use my 90mm for much of my architectural work, both interior and exterior. When I I am shooting horizontal, I make sure that the "ears" on the filter holder are at top and bottom and when I am shooting vertical, they go to the sides so they are always oriented on the 'cropped' side of the image.

My reluctance to use the shade stems from vignetting on shorter lenses and strictly for convenience of getting at and rotating the polarizer in particular with all lenses.

Again, I find it more convenient to just use a hand or a dark slide to shade the lens during exposure, but that's just my way of working.

Thanks again. Lens will be mounted on its new board shortly and I will check all this out carefully.