PDA

View Full Version : Handle and viewfinder for Toyo 4x5 Field camera?

Darin Boville
21-Jul-2010, 23:30
I have a Toyo 45AX again--sort of first love--and I'm thinking how nice it would be to consolidate. I also have a Polaroid 600 se. It seems to me I'm very close to making it redundant if I could figure out a way to mount some sort of handle to the Toyo to make it easier to handhold (or maybe a pistol grip?) and to find some sort of finder (wire frame sports finder mounted to the accessory shoe?)

Surely I can't be the first to think about doing this--any thoughts on what might fit, what might work? I've googled a bit but no real luck...

--Darin

Per Madsen
22-Jul-2010, 02:45
This could possibly be a solution:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Zoom-Viewfinder-4x5-6x12-6x17-Large-Format-Camera_W0QQitemZ270610250733QQcategoryZ15247QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BFICS%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D270580010207%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6946623101918039297

It is not a wire finder, but I have ordered one for my Toyo 45AII.

BradS
22-Jul-2010, 10:11
Hi Darin,
I am not very familiar with the AX but the CF has a hand strap from the factory. Perhaps the CF hand strap would also work on the AX?

I can also recommend the Fotoman optical finder. It sits in the accessory shoe and uses masks to represent the view offered by various focal length lenses (on 4x5). I have one with a 135mm mask that I rarely use anymore. I'd be happy to loan it to you if you're interested in trying it out.

Brad.

Darin Boville
22-Jul-2010, 11:13
This could possibly be a solution:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Zoom-Viewfinder-4x5-6x12-6x17-Large-Format-Camera_W0QQitemZ270610250733QQcategoryZ15247QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BFICS%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D270580010207%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6946623101918039297

It is not a wire finder, but I have ordered one for my Toyo 45AII.

I would love to hear your thoughts when it comes in. How do you plan to mount it?

--Darin

Darin Boville
22-Jul-2010, 11:18
Hi Darin,
I am not very familiar with the AX but the CF has a hand strap from the factory. Perhaps the CF hand strap would also work on the AX?

I can also recommend the Fotoman optical finder. It sits in the accessory shoe and uses masks to represent the view offered by various focal length lenses (on 4x5). I have one with a 135mm mask that I rarely use anymore. I'd be happy to loan it to you if you're interested in trying it out.

Brad.

Hey Brad,

Is it this guy:

http://www.fotomancamera.com/product/200711292220VF-LG.jpg

Does it zoom? Plastic or metal? Looks like it might be a viable solution. Do you plan on selling yours?

The AX has the hand strap, too, but once you use a handle it is hard to go back :)
--Darin

Frank Petronio
22-Jul-2010, 11:55
You could always get the Linhof Ergonomic Grip and bolt it on or use the dovetail quick release mounting plate. Note that the dovetail mount changed between the IV and V models so they are not interchangeable. Or just use "T-nuts" and shorter bolts.

I prefer wire frames to optical view finders myself. I guess you could also mount an accessory rangefinder and mark the focusing track for infinity to close distances and just read the scale from the rangefinder.

BradS
22-Jul-2010, 12:26
Hey Brad,

Is it this guy:

http://www.fotomancamera.com/product/200711292220VF-LG.jpg

Does it zoom? Plastic or metal? Looks like it might be a viable solution. Do you plan on selling yours?

The AX has the hand strap, too, but once you use a handle it is hard to go back :)
--Darin

Hi Darin,

Yes. that appears to be the one I have. Although that one looks like it is designed for the Fotoman 6x12. The one I have is designed for the Fotoman 4x5 P&S. It does not zoom. It uses little plastic masks that slide over the front of the optic to show the field of view. There are different masks for different focal lengths. The thing I really like about this is the quality of the optics - far superior to the Graflex finder for example. There is also a bubble level on the top that is visible in the viewfinder - an ingenious and very useful feature. Finally, I think that the body of the finder is made of Aluminum...but, I have not used it in so long, I'm not completely certain. The masks are definitely plastic.

Considering that I have not used it in over two years, I guess I'd be willing to sell it. I was going to add it to the top of my Crown Graphic...but, never got around to it.

Darin Boville
22-Jul-2010, 18:20
You could always get the Linhof Ergonomic Grip and bolt it on or use the dovetail quick release mounting plate. Note that the dovetail mount changed between the IV and V models so they are not interchangeable. Or just use "T-nuts" and shorter bolts.

I prefer wire frames to optical view finders myself. I guess you could also mount an accessory rangefinder and mark the focusing track for infinity to close distances and just read the scale from the rangefinder.

Hey Frank,

I have the general idea of what you are saying but not a 100% clear picture. Are you saying I can get a dovetail mount and attach it to the camera (without drilling holes, etc)? Or some other solution to attaching the Linhof grip without damaging the Toyo? I see picts on E-bay showing the backside of the grip but still not 100% clear...

--Darin

Per Madsen
22-Jul-2010, 23:01
I would love to hear your thoughts when it comes in. How do you plan to mount it?

--Darin

In the accessory shoe on the top of the camera, so it have
the same axis as the lens, but with about 10 cm of parallax error.

Darin Boville
22-Jul-2010, 23:05
In the accessory shoe on the top of the camera, so it have
the same axis as the lens, but with about 10 cm of parallax error.

So it has a shoe mount? In the pict on E-bay I didn't see any way to mount it...

--Darin

Darin Boville
23-Jul-2010, 00:03
Oh, this is ironic. Turns out that one of the possible options (though hard to find) is a Gowland viewfinder. How do I know this? Because apparently I got one when I bought my 45AII a few years ago and, not being interested in handheld, e-bayed it:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13457&page=2

Sigh...

--Darin

Per Madsen
23-Jul-2010, 03:09
So it has a shoe mount? In the pict on E-bay I didn't see any way to mount it...

--Darin

Look at the top picture to the left and the bottom picture to the left.

It have a shoe mount. The same viewfinder is also used for Gaoersi cameras.

Darin Boville
23-Jul-2010, 11:09
Look at the top picture to the left and the bottom picture to the left.

It have a shoe mount. The same viewfinder is also used for Gaoersi cameras.

O.K., I'll have to trust you :) The auction I'm looking at has only one pict, a round viewfinder with a red background--but if I look at the enlarged version and peer into the shadow I can see the corner of the show.

Looks interesting.

--Darin

Frank Petronio
23-Jul-2010, 19:00
Re: Linhof Grip -- You have to drill and use bolts of some kind to attach the low-profile female receptor bracket to your camera. Then you can easily attach and detach the grip.

Or... if you can't find the bracket and wind up with only the grip... if you look at it creatively then you can figure out how to drill a couple of holes and attach the grip permanently with bolts and Loctite.

Robert Hughes
26-Jul-2010, 14:11
I got one word for you - Duct Tape!

Darin Boville
26-Jul-2010, 15:11
For right now I've attached a viewfinder from a Yashica something or other that I was using with my LX-3. Meanwhile, whenever I mention the Polaroid 600se my thirteen-year-old cries out, "Don't sell that camera! I love using that camera!"--even after I point out to her how much that stupid looking thing is worth.

What can you say to that?

--Darin

Per Madsen
4-Aug-2010, 23:22
I have recieved the finder now.

The framing looks OK, but I have to test it with film.

The metalwork is good with a few "rough edges" (like old DDR (east germany) cameras).

Opticaly the finder is good in the middle, but not so good in the edges.

The shoe mount has a better finish than the rest of the finder and it is attached to
the finder with hex screws.

Per Madsen
5-Aug-2010, 23:23
The viewfinder fits perfectly in the accessory shoe on my Toyo 45 AII.

The hex screws for the shoe is for 2 mm hex bits.

I expect to test the finder next weekend.