PDA

View Full Version : Lens identification

Tony Wheeler
21-Jul-2010, 10:10
Can someone please tell me what I have here. I bought it at a flea market last year for $40. The glass is pretty clean, the shutter seems to work. I'm wondering what this lens will cover. I am not sure if operates off a vacuum as well. This is what the lens says:
DOPP Anastigmat Ser.III, C.P. Goerz Berlin Dagor 168mm 6.8
Thanks for your help.

goamules
21-Jul-2010, 10:18
It's probably from around the 1920s. It should cover 4x5 stopped down. You can find the coverage in a more recent catalog here:
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/goerz_1.html

Fotoguy20d
21-Jul-2010, 10:41
It's what you may have seen referred to as a Dagor (Double Anastigmat GOeRz). I have a 125mm which easily covers 4x5 (I'd attach a sample if I knew how). Your 168 will cover 5x7, maybe even wide open. It'll cover 4x5 wide open with room to spare. You can remove the front cell and have an almost double length (and half the aperture) lens.

You can attach a hose and bulb to the cylinder and use it as a shutter release (similar to a modern cable). When you squeeze the bulb, it pushes the cylinder up which fires the shutter.

To accurately date your lens, look up the lens (not shutter) serial number here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/classic-experts.html).

Chiefcoastie?

Dan

Tony Wheeler
21-Jul-2010, 11:05
Thank you for your rapid response.

Tony Wheeler
21-Jul-2010, 11:07
Thanks for your help.
I retired from the Coast Guard Reserve as a CPO.

goamules
21-Jul-2010, 11:34
It's what you may have seen referred to as a Dagor ...

Or you may have seen Dagor written on the lens, as the orig poster wrote! They only used both the earlier name, Double Anastigmat, and their new name, Dagor, for a few years.

Fotoguy20d
21-Jul-2010, 13:03
Or you may have seen Dagor written on the lens, as the orig poster wrote! They only used both the earlier name, Double Anastigmat, and their new name, Dagor, for a few years.

Duh. Didn't notice that at the end. Used to seeing one or the other. My 125 just says Dagor. Ditto my 210mm Kenro. I also have a 210 in brass barrel which only says Doppel Anastigmat.

Dan

Steven Tribe
21-Jul-2010, 13:32
Goerz went over to using names rather than Series around 1900. These were made in 100,000's - which is the sign of a very excellent lens appreciated by many and which is usuable to-day - not an indication of a mass produced cheap lens! The condition of the shutter suggests it has been well looked after.

Tony Wheeler
21-Jul-2010, 21:45
Thanks for all the responses.
Tony

Fotoguy20d
22-Jul-2010, 08:56
This was taken with a 125mm Dagor with front lens cell removed. Indicated f16 (shutter only has one scale) so more like f32. You might recognize the setting. They're very nice lenses.

Dan

Tony Wheeler
27-Jul-2010, 09:39
I was visiting a friend at the Coast Guard recruiting office at the Battery last week when directly across the river was Governor's Island. The ferry was in the slip. It brought back a lot of memories. Of course waiting for the ferry could be a nightmare on certain days when there were visitors on the island. It still was a beautiful tranquil place just outside the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple most New Yorkers never got to see.
Tony