PDA

View Full Version : Fine Focus 8x10 "Tire Kicker" Workshop Nov. 11-14

Bruce Barlow
21-Jul-2010, 09:56
Fine Focus Workshops will hold an 8x10 “Tire Kicker” Workshop in southwestern New Hampshire Thursday evening, Nov. 11, through noon Sunday, Nov. 14, 2010.

While the workshop will introduce photographers to the 8x10 format, it will be a complete Fine Focus Workshop. No large format photography experience is required. You need bring nothing except prints for our print review.

We will provide complete 8x10 camera outfits for each student, including camera, lens, tripod and head, dark cloth, light meter, holders, and film. We’ll have darkroom facilities to develop and proof negatives. Negatives undeveloped or un-proofed at the end will be completed and mailed to students.

We have lenses of different focal lengths to try and share from 305mm to 480mm. We have 4 Richard Ritters, a Sinar Norma, and a Zone VI 8x10 cameras to use. Meters are Pentax digital, modified by Zone VI Studios. We’ll swap so everyone has the chance to use everything.

Best of all, the tuition for the workshop is $200, less than half the usual $475 cost of a Fine Focus Workshop, plus an $85 materials fee. The materials fee covers Ilford HP5 8x10 film, RC proofing paper, chemicals, negative sleeves, and postage. The reduced tuition is to encourage anyone curious about 8x10 photography to give it a try. Richard Ritter and Bruce Barlow think it sounds like a lot of fun.

Workshop fees include bagels and coffee Friday and Saturday mornings, sandwiches, chips, and water for lunch Friday and Saturday. We’ll eat out after darkroom sessions Friday and Saturday night. We’ll supply 8x10 HP5 film, developing chemicals, negative sleeves, RC proofing paper, and postage, if necessary. Students are responsible for transportation to Brattleboro, VT, lodging at Motel 6 (3 nights at about $50/night), Thursday, Friday and Saturday dinners (about $20 each night), and coffee and pastries Sunday morning (variable).

Class size is limited to 6. $50 deposits are required to hold a space. Email Bruce at BBarlow690@aol.com for more details.

John Bowen
22-Jul-2010, 04:38
Now THAT sounds like fun!

john biskupski
22-Jul-2010, 06:41
Bruce,

Now, you didn't mention The Cookies! Cookies have to be included, surely. Last time, they saved us from excesssive weight loss and those end-of-afternoon low sugar levels, heaven forbid! It all comes down to priorities.

Best-John

Bruce Barlow
22-Jul-2010, 10:08
I'm going with brownies this time. Gooey, chewey, with the three basic food groups: sugar, fat and chocolate!

Bill_1856
22-Jul-2010, 10:32
Too late in the year for so far north (short days). If it were the middle of October I'd be there (especialy at that price).
PS, I thought that Pizza was one of the basic food groups.
PPS, The brownies cannot possibly be as good as the cookies.

RichardRitter
22-Jul-2010, 12:14
PPS, The brownies cannot possibly be as good as the cookies.

Better.

I found that if you leave a chewy brownie on the dash board for a while you end up with a cookie.

Bruce Barlow
22-Jul-2010, 12:51
Bill, you had brownies in the Frozen North of Pittsburg at Fall Foliage those years ago. And they've improved since then.

Two spots of six claimed already. I think they're going to go fast.

Bill_1856
22-Jul-2010, 14:55
I just found a "cheap" flight to Manchester. Would that be the best airport to fly into?
If so, can you pencil me in for one of the spots? (Hope I'm not still persona non grata from the Fall Foliage thing 4 years ago.)

jmooney
25-Jul-2010, 15:20
Any spots still open?

banhbao
28-Jul-2010, 14:35
Any spots still available?

Bruce Barlow
16-Aug-2010, 07:53
Due to some changes in plans, we still have two places left.

Money talks, so deposits are required to hold places, as noted above.

We'll have an 11x14 and a 7x17, too, in case there are any ULF-curious folks.

badlongyin
16-Aug-2010, 23:27
It looks great

Vaughn
16-Aug-2010, 23:39
If this was given on the Left Coast, I'd be there! Especially to give the 7x17 a go!...and to handle a Ritter 8x10 (I have been using a Zone VI 8x10 for almost 15 years.)

have fun!

Vaughn

Kirk Fry
17-Aug-2010, 23:39
We on the left coast feel left out....

John Bowen
18-Aug-2010, 04:32
If this was given on the Left Coast, I'd be there! Especially to give the 7x17 a go!...and to handle a Ritter 8x10 (I have been using a Zone VI 8x10 for almost 15 years.)

have fun!

Vaughn

Vaughn, from the moment I first set eyes on Richard's 8x10 prototype, I knew my days working with my Zone VI 8x10 were numbered.... Now the Zone VI serves as a back-up camera. There have been more than a few locations where setting up one camera and waiting for the "right" light while working with the other camera has proved to be quite productive.

John Bowen
18-Aug-2010, 04:34
We on the left coast feel left out....

We on the "right" coast know the feelng.....for me, it's every time I see a Yosemite photo.......

Bruce Barlow
18-Aug-2010, 06:58
We on the "right" coast know the feelng.....for me, it's every time I see a Yosemite photo.......

How can we be on the "right" coast when we have Massachusetts, and California gave us Ronald Reagan??

Sounds like an excuse to turn the world upside-down.

The addition of an 11x14 and 7x17 is cool, IMHO. Too big for me, but I'm just a little guy...

Bill_1856
18-Aug-2010, 07:40
but I'm just a little guy...
Only when compared to John.

John Bowen
18-Aug-2010, 09:55
Only when compared to John.

:eek:
LOL

RichardRitter
18-Aug-2010, 12:30
Too big for me, but I'm just a little guy...

?

John Bowen
18-Aug-2010, 13:19
Somehow "Odd Fellows" fits...

For those of you that don't recognize us, I'm on the left, Richard is in the middle and Bruce (the little guy) is on the right.

No, Richard is not a midget, Bruce and I are both 6'6"

Bruce Barlow
18-Aug-2010, 13:28
Richard seems to have a picture for every occasion. Yuh'd think he was a photographer or sumpin'.

Bruce Barlow
28-Aug-2010, 14:34
Five deposits in, one spot left. The 7x17 is spoken for. The 11x14 is still available, as are 8x10s.

David Aimone
9-Nov-2010, 11:07
Looks like the weather will be great on Friday and Saturday!

Bruce Barlow
9-Nov-2010, 12:25
Yup, and we had a last-minute cancellation, so there is one space available, as is either an 8x10, or the 11x14.

Any last-minute takers?

Bruce Barlow
14-Nov-2010, 15:24
Four 8x10s and a 7x17 in the back of my Forester. Lenses, tripods, holders, meters, dark cloths. Quite the collection. Five attentive, energetic, hard-working students.

An afternoon at Mike's farm with 8x10 neophytes, and not a picture as bad as mediocre. I'll try to scan and post some examples.

The 8x10 Tire Kicker is declared a success. And a lot of fun, to boot. Thanks to all our hard-working students, and to wife Victoria for being head steward and taking such good care of us.

David Aimone
14-Nov-2010, 16:47
Definitely a big thanks to you, Richard and Victoria for the knowledge, fellowship and hospitality! Learned a great deal and made new photographic friends.

Also, kudos on the darkroom access. It was a valuable bonus for me, definitely!
:) ;) :D

kevin4x5
15-Nov-2010, 07:08
Thank you Bruce and Richard it was a great time. I never in my life thought that I would have the opportunity to take pictures with a 8x10 camera let alone develop the negatives and make contact prints. It was a workshop I will never forget. I would highly suggest this to any one ever thinking about using an 8x10 camera. Plus the knowledge you two have is just amazing. I also made new friends. Again I thank you for a great time
Kevin

Wayne Aho
17-Nov-2010, 14:35
Great food and great "camerademie", I am still smiling over being able to use Richard's 7x17, a fantastic camera. I was always hesitant to tray develop negatives, but now the fear is gone. I learned alot, and also enjoyed the company of everyone in the workshop.

I used my 4x5 tachi last Sunday, and it felt almost like a point and shoot in comparison.

Thanks Bruce, for your and Victoria's hospitality.

Wayne