PDA

View Full Version : framing 5x4 ratio prints.

miss_emma_jade
21-Jul-2010, 04:53
hi guys, today i had a biggish print made from a scan. 24 x 30 inches. the problem is, with this ratio now days, that all the frames i've seen are too long. I was wondering if anyone has a quick, cheap way to frame prints, to mount an exhipition or whatever? I might eventually have a few to do.

hope someone has some ideas.. :) EMMA

IanG
21-Jul-2010, 05:08
Most good framing suppliers do a good deal on quantity and will make them to what ever size you require.

I spoke to my framer here in Turkey yesterday about 60 frames (approx), and he matches my UK inch matt sizes for me when needed.

A bit of planning cuts costs.

Ian

h2oman
21-Jul-2010, 12:13
Here's the approach I'm taking: I am matting my (inkjet) prints in what I beleive is called "carrier paper" style - that is, the mat window is a bit larger than the photograph, so that some of the white paper at the edges of the print are showing. I leave about 3/8 inch (1 cm) at the top and sides, and 3/4 inch (2 cm) at the bottom, where I sign. I've found that if I crop horizontals to a 5x7 ratio and verticals to a 3x4 ratio, the same size mat opening can be used for both horizontals and verticals. That allows me to order a bunch of mats cut to the same size, reducing the cost. I've tried cutting mats myself in the past with moderate success, but I'm not sure the savings pay of if I consider my time and wasted mats when I make mistakes.

If you (or others) have any interest in this I can supply more details about image and window sizes.

mrladewig
21-Jul-2010, 16:59
Frame destination will make a frame, mat, glazing at just about any size you specify.

Ash
22-Jul-2010, 02:23
I don't frame really big prints, merely mount them to board... but that's my preference.

When I've had to frame, I've used window mounts to size. I'd recommend that. Choose a big frame that's readily available, then get mounts cut to your print size.

If you're really savvy you can learn how to cut your own, but that's only if your pockets are shallow like mine.

mrladewig
22-Jul-2010, 08:38
I've been cutting my own mats for years on an Altos cutter. Logan's system is also an easy system from what I understand. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had a problem cutting my own mats when I learned what I was doing. However, there have been cases where I've decided to have a mat cut by another party either for cost or to have access to mat boards that are difficult to get here. For instance with bulk mats like you would place in a bin, you can get them cut for pennies more than the raw cost of buying the matboard. My time to cut a mat is worth more than a dime or two.

On the other side of that coin, there is a place in Greeley Colorado called Duraplaq that does some of the best laminate over MDF I've ever seen for large prints. I've just delivered a couple prints done this way to a client. They are more finished and durable than dry mount to gatorboard or foamcore, though they are definitely not archival.