PDA

View Full Version : x4 B&W Film Processor For Paterson Tank- on ebay

miss_emma_jade
21-Jul-2010, 03:47
wonder if anyone has used one of these? it really looks good, but would appreciate feedback.. Maybe someone can tell me pros and cons. It fits in a 3 reel patterson tank. its just what i need, maybe.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130410001589&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching#ht_1643wt_932

Emma

Pete Watkins
21-Jul-2010, 04:21
Emma,
I've heard about these but I haven't seen a review yet. I can't see why it shouldn't work but a Patterson Orbital Print Processor would use a lot less chemicals.
Pete.

Pete Watkins
21-Jul-2010, 04:30
I've had another thought. Look up "slosher" trays. They look fairly practical and with some perspex, a hack saw and some suitable glue you could probably make your own.
Pete.

Ash
21-Jul-2010, 04:38
I'd recommend you find a Paterson Orbital cheap, unless you already have a big Paterson tank.

Sal Santamaura
21-Jul-2010, 04:48
I find it fascinating, especially the idea that they'll discuss a 5x7 version. If it's as easy to load as appearances suggest, and the film would also stay in place during rotary agitation on a Unicolor base, you'd have the best of both worlds. Inversion agitation using dilute developer and a final step in rotary mode to conserve fixer. This would be very good to pursue! Please post a report if you go for it!

IanG
21-Jul-2010, 05:15
The first one sold for just over £19 recently, it's a photographer making them. I don't think he shoots 57x5 so has no easy way of testing a prototype.

If I didn't have 2 Jobo 2000 Series inversion tanks I'd try one of these.

With a developer like Rodinal (Adonal) or Pyrocat it's a very economic and easy way to process, alternately replenished Xtol. I replenish my fixer to, have done since the 70's which is also economic and efficient.

Ian

jp
21-Jul-2010, 16:06
They are on the US ebay site too, and ship from UK. I ordered one and I'll compare it to the Combiplan as the costs are pretty similar. I use Paterson reels for everything smaller.

If they did a 5x7, they'd have the market pretty much to themself.

Brian Stein
22-Jul-2010, 04:33
It looks like it should work nicely (but in theory there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice there is). The only issue I also wonder about is volume of chemicals: maybe 1 000 ml for this vs 150 ml for my patterson orbital. On the other hand pyrocat is cheap, big tanks are easy to find and orbital arent....

hopefully jp will report back....

Rayt
22-Jul-2010, 07:16
I am happy with the 2521 Jobo but will buy it anyway to try. My other motive is to see whether at least two sheets of 5x7 can be used somehow.

I see in his description to contact him for the 5x7 version. I did and eagerly await.

dap
23-Jul-2010, 06:56
I have a very similar sheet film holder (bought it off that infamous auction site awhile back). Mine is quite a bit older (from the late 70's/early 80's according to the seller). It is made of stainless and was made by Phototherm. This plastic one looks to have copied the concept. In any case it works very well (mine fits in a 4 reel stainless tank).

IanG
24-Jul-2010, 04:27
They are on the US ebay site too, and ship from UK. I ordered one and I'll compare it to the Combiplan as the costs are pretty similar. I use Paterson reels for everything smaller.

If they did a 5x7, they'd have the market pretty much to themself.

Only the front end of ebay changes between countries, it's a common database but category codes don't always map across properly even with an international search.

Your log in details are the same whether you want to access the .com .co.uk .de .ca .au .fr etc and if you add a watched item on one it shows on all, quite useful when looking for equipment more common in say Germany in my case or the US.

The guy making these film holders is a 5x4 photographer but I think he's no 7x5 equipment, film etc if someone sent him some duff film he might be able to experiment.

Ian

Brian Stein
24-Jul-2010, 04:39
I asked him about 5x7. He hasnt yet made one, but hopefully will be nudged in that direction....

Ash
4-Mar-2011, 04:00
Did anyone save the seller? I'm trying to find these again but can't find a listing...

Lachlan 717
4-Mar-2011, 04:14
These come in batches every few weeks/months/...

Just keep an eye out for them.

RickV
4-Mar-2011, 04:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_Lzd3LUnQ

James Hilton
4-Mar-2011, 05:44
Did anyone save the seller? I'm trying to find these again but can't find a listing...

I bought mine from mod_photographic in December.

Ash
7-Mar-2011, 02:48
Thanks!