PDA

View Full Version : DIY 4x5 single sheet holder for trays

Brian C. Miller
20-Jul-2010, 21:29
Here's some photos of a single sheet holder I made out of plastic. I don't remember what plastic I used, but I don't think it should matter.

It measures 6"x4.5", and the sheet is held in place by nylon screws and nuts. I get really good development, and the sheet stays in place as long as I don't get too excited with the agitation.

The holes were drilled with a special bit designed for drilling plastics. The bit allowed me to make holes without chipping the edges. The plastic sheet was cut at the store (Tap Plastics).

Wade D
21-Jul-2010, 00:42
Interesting idea. Seems it would keep a single sheet submerged quite nicely.

IanG
21-Jul-2010, 05:28
Make a handle out of plastic heat welding rod and you have a neat way of lifting in and out keeping your fingers/hands dry.

This what Agfa sold for early sheet film, the wires went into punched corners (of the film).

Would be even better for wet plate etc.

Ian

MIke Sherck
21-Jul-2010, 06:10
I'm curious: how is this better than just developing a sheet of film in a tray?

Mike

jp
21-Jul-2010, 06:23
The film would be less likely to be scratched by physical contact from your fingers/nails, sliding around against the bottom of the tray, and so forth. One coudl reasonably argue it's not necessary, but it sure looks helpful.

Brian C. Miller
21-Jul-2010, 08:33
I like it because it keeps the film submerged, and I don't have a chance to scratch the film. I have a Jobo expert drum, but when I want to do just a sheet or two, this is what I like the best.

EdWorkman
21-Jul-2010, 08:42
Brian
Looks like a good idea for developing double side Xray film, which some of us are incapable of tray developing without ruination, especially me.
But I'm unclear as to where the film sheet goes. Is it held above the pierced plate by the bolts or what? Would you mind posting another pic to show the sheet of film in place? Please and thanks.
regards
Ed

Michael Graves
21-Jul-2010, 08:57
Until I got my Jobo, I used a sheet of acrylic that I glued a line of plastic pegs, about two inches apart down each center axis of the sheet. That gave me four isolated sections that fit easily into a Paterson 12x16 tray. I could develop four at a time with full control over agitation and never once got inconsistent developing.

Brian C. Miller
21-Jul-2010, 11:39
I'll post another photo with the film inserted. The nylon screws are flat-head (#2 above), and the film goes between the head and the nut, so it stays above the plastic.

Brian C. Miller
21-Jul-2010, 21:56
As promised (almost forgot due to arrival of RH Designs Analyser Pro F-Stop enlarging meter) here are some more photos of the sheet holder. You can see how the film is kept from the plastic by one nut's width, and the bottom nut holds the plastic off the tray bottom. I just gently lift one side and then another to agitate, or I can slosh the tray a little bit.

jeroldharter
21-Jul-2010, 22:11
Nice work. But that seems like a lot of work to process a single sheet of 4x5. Hard to improve on a Photo Formulary slosher that will do 4 4x5 sheets in an 11x14 tray with relatively small volume of developer. I use BTZS tubes for development but have a couple sloshers just in case. The film does stay submerged and you can add individual sheets at different times for more control of development.

I bought their 8x10 sloshers as well but they are relatively huge and do not fit into a standard 16x20 tray. I have some older Kodak yellow trays that are slightly oversized 16x20 trays. The sloshers fit in those trays but a series of those trays does not really fit in my sink. Does anyone use the 8x10 slosher trays? In what size developer trays? Also, the 8x10 sloshers require a large amount of chemistry so I have never quite figured that out. I use the BTZS tubes for that as well.

Brian C. Miller
21-Jul-2010, 22:20
I saw the Photo Formulary slosher, and I was aghast at the price. Since I'm handy and a cheapskate, I made my own. Since I have an expert drum, I wanted something for one sheet.

The same design concept can be used for making your own 8x10 holder, too. The most time is spent drilling the holes. But if you have the plastics store cut out slots for you, then all you need to do is drill the holes for the screws, and you are done.

jeroldharter
21-Jul-2010, 23:06
You must be handier than I am and have a "plastic store" of which I am jelaous.

The problem using both a drum and a slosher is that ideally you need different development times for each process. But if you are using the slosher for just one sheet you could make a reasonable guess on development time.

Paul_C
21-Jul-2010, 23:17
You must... have a "plastic store" of which I am jelaous.

Through the magic of the internet, you have a plastic store too! http://www.tapplastics.com/

jeroldharter
22-Jul-2010, 08:17
Through the magic of the internet, you have a plastic store too! http://www.tapplastics.com/

Thanks. That looks like an interesting resource.

EdWorkman
22-Jul-2010, 08:31
Brian
Thanks very much for the additional photos
BTW plastic is easy to cut along straight lines- score with a sharp knife and bend it til it breaks- kinda like glass only it won't shatter. Seems like one could also glue up a rectangular frame from say 1/8 x 1/2 strips and drill them for the machine screws.
Guess it's my turn to try that one.
Very cool

Alan Rabe
22-Jul-2010, 08:38
If you are thinking about this and don't particularly want to do a lot of drilling.
try this
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23645&catid=733

Pawlowski6132
22-Jul-2010, 08:59
If you are thinking about this and don't particularly want to do a lot of drilling.
try this
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23645&catid=733

Very interesting. Just the kinda thing I was looking for.

While contemplating buying a 16x20 easel, I thought about building one based on a vacuum rather than a frame to hold the paper. Sorta like an air hockey table with airflow reversed.

Has anyone ever tried this or, are their commercially made easels that use vacuum?

Brian C. Miller
22-Jul-2010, 09:32
There are vaccuum easels, but they are expensive. I've been considering building one based on peg board and a fan.

Pawlowski6132
22-Jul-2010, 10:53
There are vaccuum easels, but they are expensive. I've been considering building one based on peg board and a fan.

Damn. I was going to retire off that idea.

:D

cyrus
22-Jul-2010, 11:19
That looks great. Back in 2006 I posted this film development hanger which was bent to fit in an tray to develop four 4x5 negs at the same time.

After a while I became sufficiently proficient at tray developing that i don't need it anymore.

mmmdoughnuts
22-Jul-2010, 13:03
This is a great idea. I think I am going to make a 2x2 array to develop 4 at a time in my big print trays...

Not to hijack the thread further, but
Polypropolene peg board (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23646&catid=711&clickid=searchresults) is nearly as inert and is more recyclable as #5 plastic. PVC is nearly never recyclable.

jvuokko
10-Oct-2010, 11:59
That looks great. Back in 2006 I posted this film development hanger which was bent to fit in an tray to develop four 4x5 negs at the same time.

After a while I became sufficiently proficient at tray developing that i don't need it anymore.

Interesting. I have film hangers and have no use for them as I could not get even results, but using them and tray like slosher. I have to try!

How was the agitation, simply by lifting like in kodak's instructions?

ki6mf
10-Oct-2010, 13:44
I think you should run for Senator! No President! Brilliant Idea you have here!

mentalcrisis00
28-Nov-2010, 16:15
http://www.philbard.com/panel.html

This is a similar do it yourself processing panel that can accommodate 4 sheets of 4x5 film. I was thinking of doing this myself because it only requires drilling 18 screw holes and 4 holes for solution to come threw. I'm not sure why he doesn't make it a swiss cheese pattern seeming you'd think that would make a more even development. Maybe it's only necessary to have one large hole for each film sheet? Great tray development gadgets.

Robert Crigan
1-Dec-2010, 02:28
I'm curious: how is this better than just developing a sheet of film in a tray?

Mike

Had me wondering too. If you try and develop a dozen sheets at one time you'll be busy.
I drop the film straight into the tray, agitating and interleaving by hand wearing latex gloves. With a pre-wet I don't have problems with sheets sticking together.
If you're developing one sheet at a time, your system would be handy in that you could agitate with tongs.
good luck
Robert