PDA

View Full Version : A Lens to fit my Horseman Lens Board?

nfl
20-Jul-2010, 04:43
Greetings LFP Members,

Having been a lurker here for a while I've decided to dive in at the deep end and give Large Format Photography a go. Admittedly I'm an absolute beginner as far as LF photography is concerned.

As a reasonably cheap and cheerful starting point I bought a Horseman 450B mono-rail camera... everything included except a lens. The lens board has a 35mm mounting hole.

I've already done a bit of reading here and figure I'd like some like a 150mm lens or thereabouts for taking portraits (I use 80mm on Medium Format):
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/

So pay day is Friday and I want to purchase a lens. Taking into consideration the 35mm lens board mounting hole and my requirement for a circa 150mm lens can anyone suggest something to me that can be attached to my lens board without the need for a degree in engineering?

I had been looking at the likes of a 'SCHNEIDER APO Symmar MC 150mm 5.6 + Copal 0' but I've no idea will this fit the 35mm mounting hole.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

nfl

Dan Fromm
20-Jul-2010, 05:08
http://www.skgrimes.com/products/index.htm

nfl
20-Jul-2010, 05:11
Thanks Dan.

Based on your link a Copal 0 shutter takes a 34.6mm lensboard hole.

My rough measurement was for my board was 35mm so maybe I should check again and get a more precise measurement.

rdenney
21-Jul-2010, 11:47
Thanks Dan.

Based on your link a Copal 0 shutter takes a 34.6mm lensboard hole.

My rough measurement was for my board was 35mm so maybe I should check again and get a more precise measurement.

It is not that important. Sometimes a retaining ring will have a shoulder designed to slip down into the hole, but most of the time, retaining rings are flat. A little slop in the hole is usually no issue. Lens boards are usually generically drilled for a Copal or Compur Number 0, 1 or 3 shutter. If the retainer that comes with your lens has a shoulder that wants to slip down in the hole, and the hole is a bit too small, then go to work on the inside of the hole with course sandpaper to enlarge it a bit. Or, you may be able to turn the retainer upside down to face that shoulder away from the board. If the hole is a bit large, that's no real issue as long as the lens is resting on its mounting surface and the retainer covers the hole fully--just center the lens and tighten it down.

If you have a lens custom-fitted by Grimes or others, they will work to a higher level of precision to make sure the lens is always absolutely centered on the camera's axis when the movements are zeroed. But you'll be using movements in any case and even without that it just isn't that important for general photography.

Rick "no need for precision in excess of accuracy" Denney

nfl
22-Jul-2010, 00:28
Thanks for the advice Rick... I was hoping that 0.4mm wasn't going to cause me too many issues.

Tomorrow is payday... a trip to eBay and a few days for the mail to arrive and the moment of truth will be upon me.

Thanks again to Dan/Rick.