PDA

View Full Version : e6 8x10 processing

e2aa
19-Jul-2010, 19:19
how many are doing this at home? what equipment is working best for you?

anyone doing it in seattle and perhaps willing to show me their set up?

lastly, what labs in the pacific nw still do sheet film with e6?

thanks.

Erik Larsen
19-Jul-2010, 20:27
I've done it for a few boxes of film using a jobo cpe2 with lift and a jobo 8x10 print drum. Nothing really hard about it with the kodak home kits. give it a try if you have the ability to control the temperature required for e6 - It really is a piece of cake.
regards
erik

Doug Herta
19-Jul-2010, 20:54
Hey - I've got the darkroom up and running after the move and would be glad to show you the setup - CPP2 with 8X10. PM me.

chemicalbrother
19-Jul-2010, 21:58
how many are doing this at home? what equipment is working best for you?

anyone doing it in seattle and perhaps willing to show me their set up?

lastly, what labs in the pacific nw still do sheet film with e6?

thanks.

I am, Im using a Unicolor print drum ,accurate thermometer, timer ,tub,sink and Patients
Most of all Have fun !

Dec

IanMazursky
19-Jul-2010, 22:36
Ive been running E6 8x10, medium and 35mm in my jobo ATL 2200. It comes out great! Im able to control the time and temp perfectly.
This is very important for me when i run control strips for my LVT. If the processing is off at all, it will show in my prints.

I have the Jobo hooked up to an old Wing Lynch TC2 water panel with filters.
You do need to keep the 1st dev, 1st water and CD temps at 100.4F +- a little. If not, you will have some minor density and or color shifts.
Minor variations in temp are not very noticeable unless you run control strips or if you look at chromes processed from different batches together.
The rest of the process is lightly more forgiving for minor temp variations.

The Kodak E6 5 liter kit is so easy to use and break up into smaller lots. I make up 500-1000ml at a time, perfect for the jobo.
The box for some reason doesn't come with instructions anymore (except for something printed on the lid). Kodak has the full manual on their site TI2443.

Calumet, B&H and Adorama usually stocks the kit, but i think B&H still wont ship it. Calumet and Adorama will.
You can also contact a local lab that has a direct order deal from Kodak. They can have the kit shipped to them and you can pick it up.
Thats what i have been doing lately. I would warn that it is a bit heavy and a pain to carry without a car.

For those that have a Jobo ATL and are trying to run E6, here is what i have been doing to keep the 1st wash temp correct.
The lines coming from my TC2 are long enough that from the time that the water bath is ready to go, the water in the pipes are cold.
To keep the water hot, i open the drain valve just enough that a small is coming out of the drain hose and i have the TC2 set for 101F.
This keeps water bath solenoids opening every minute or so. The water in the pipes are constantly being replenished and by the time of the 1st wash, the water is stable.

joshdaskew
20-Jul-2010, 08:27
Fantastic information, I have also been thinking about this? Has anyone ever done the maths on what it works out per sheet? Also, is it possible to develop 5 x 7 format at home? Ok, thanks so much. Josh

e2aa
20-Jul-2010, 10:40
thanks everyone.

IanMazursky
20-Jul-2010, 10:52
Hi Josh,
It really depends on how you are processing. Hand inversion in a regular tank uses more chemistry but its possible to reuse it at least once, maybe twice.
Rotary tube (like the jobo's) uses about 270ml per 8x10. The amount of air mixed in during processing precludes reusing it.
I know some do but i wont risk it. At the retail price of the kit, i am looking at $2.5 per sheet give or take. Approx 19 sheets per 5L kit.
That doesn't include water, time, power....but i have the control that i need for my LVT. Thats Priceless for me.
I may be able to get away with using a little less chemistry per sheet but the jobo has odd intervals in its pumping list.

The Kodak manual (TI2443) states "For best sensitometric results, use no less than 250 mL of each solution per square foot of film (235 mL for two 135-36 rolls)"
I found a chart in the C41 Z manual #2 that gives a listing of film sizes and the equivalent square feet. 4x5=.139, 5x7=.243, 8x10=.556 & 11x14=1.070.
It also lists rolls with and without sprocket holes. By that reasoning, i should be able to get away with 139ml per 8x10 but thats cutting it close.
The tube im using is the 8x10 print drum, its not designed for film so jobo doesn't have a volume recommendation.
I figured out a way to the load film and not get any marks or uneven development but the solution volume is sometimes a trial and error approach.
You need enough to cover the film and enough so it doesn't oxidize before the of the process.

Regarding 5x7, it can also be done at home. Probably easiest in a jobo drum on a roller base if you don't have a jobo processor.
Or in something like a btzs tube, tanks and even trays. The issue is the temperature control and washes. The first 3 steps are temp critical.
A water bath really keeps it optimum but ive seen results from a tube on a roller base and they are pretty good.
They can and do vary from run to run but you only notice it if you view 2 slides together from different runs.

domaz
21-Jul-2010, 13:25
I think the only lab in the Pacific Northwest that does LF E-6 is R&R (http://www.rrcolor.com/lolFilmProcess.html) in Spokane. Samy's 805 (http://www.samys805.com/) isn't too far away and does it though- for a good price.

LF_rookie_to_be
20-Apr-2012, 11:15
What about doing it in a 3004 Expert drum hand-rolled?