PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest 8x10 folding/field camera

tenser
19-Jul-2010, 13:13
I already have a sturdy studio 8x10 camera but i would have a light and folding 8x10 to go for location survey/scouting etc.. so i can test the composition and in case be back witht he big lenses and camera...

what are the options? anything used under $300?

AgentX
19-Jul-2010, 13:31
You might find an old wooden Kodak 2d or B&J type field for that much. They're sure not light; at least my B&J wasn't. They do, however, fold.

I don't see why you'd go to the trouble of hauling a still-very-large 8x10 camera out and not use it to take a photo...seems you might be better off just carrying a varifocal viewer in your pocket or something, if all you want to do is decide whether or not to come back with [another] camera.

Or, find a cheap old 4x5, depending on whether you have a wide variety of 8x10 lenses you'd need to duplicate.

John NYC
19-Jul-2010, 14:08
I have one of the lightest 8x10s available, a Wehman lightweight. It's 7.2 lbs. I use one lens, a small 240 g-claron in a Copal #1. With hood, meter, filters, loupe, holders, etc. in an f64 backpack, plus my small carbon fiber tripod, I'm all set at less than 25 pounds. I don't think you can put together a significantly lighter setup than that and still be fully functional. Hauling this is still a major pain.

That's why I use a Ricoh GR Digital III for scouting shots. Fits in my pocket.

Brian C. Miller
19-Jul-2010, 14:53
Bender kit cameras (Bender is out of business) had an 8x10 kit for less than $500. You may be able to find someone selling theirs. They are reported to be a bit flimsy.

The Bulldog kit is $500, and its bare weight is 7.3 pounds. Only the front has some movements, though. One of the forum members put one together and gave it a really nice paint job.

The Wehman camera looks really nice, but it is $2200.

You could build your own 8x10 camera.

If you really want to take a view camera on a "scouting" trip, I agree with AgentX, and suggest that you take a 4x5. Any of the press-type cameras would be just fine for you.

ki6mf
19-Jul-2010, 14:56
Craigs list if you are fixed on the cost element. This may not be the lightest and it could fit in your budget range!

Peter York
19-Jul-2010, 14:58
Century Universal 8x10. Light (about 9 lbs) and relatively cheap ($400 to $700). You will have to have some patience for one to appear.

Robert Hughes
19-Jul-2010, 14:58
You could build your own 8x10 camera.
Bingo. I built an 8x10 box camera for about $300 including lens (Wollensak 10 1/4" Apo Raptar). It's not hard to make a dark box with a hole in the front. :cool:

John NYC
19-Jul-2010, 15:03
Another question comes to mind. If you have a nice 8x10 folder and a couple of lightweight lenses and you don't mind taking that out, why do you think you are going to get an inferior image that you would then need to replace by hauling out a studio camera with bigger, faster glass? In my own experience so far, a small lens like the g-claron is as sharp or sharper than any other lens I've seen.

(The only reason I personally would like faster glass than f/9 is for ease of focussing at night.)

Gem Singer
19-Jul-2010, 15:20
Why not use a digicam or a 120 roll film camera for scouting locations and scenes for future 8x10 images?

Seems to me that using an 8x10 camera and film for scouting would be a waste of time, energy, and materials.

ic-racer
19-Jul-2010, 17:26
Why not use a digicam or a 120 roll film camera for scouting locations and scenes for future 8x10 images?

Seems to me that using an 8x10 camera and film for scouting would be a waste of time, energy, and materials.

Yes, for $300 you can get a lightweight fold-up Horseman 6x7cm mini viewcamera that uses 120 film. You can preview any movements and the image proportions will match 8x10.

Craig Roberts
19-Jul-2010, 17:42
I am a huge fan of the Tachihara. I have owned and used a lot of different types. The Tachi, in my opinion is the best value. Craig

jp
19-Jul-2010, 19:07
I already have a sturdy studio 8x10 camera but i would have a light and folding 8x10 to go for location survey/scouting etc.. so i can test the composition and in case be back witht he big lenses and camera...

what are the options? anything used under $300?

It's OK to use a field camera for actually exposing photos too. That's what mine is for.

I got a super nice B&J for around $300. You should be able to get beat up ones for less if you are patient.