PDA

View Full Version : Price range for a Technika V.

Albert Lombardi
17-Jul-2010, 07:15
I am going to look at a Technika V next week and I don't have any idea what a fair price would be, I have very little info. on the condition of the camera.

What I've been told:

Technika V (4x5)
ground glass is broken
comes with two lenses, 90mm and 100mm brand vintage and type of lens unknown.

I know that it's not much to go on, any suggestions?

Thanks
Albert

Brian Ellis
17-Jul-2010, 08:19
Assuming it's in perfect working order and cosmetically good (not necessarily mint but no missing pieces of leather, no significant dents, dings, etc.) and ignoring the lenses, I think a fair range for the camera alone with a broken ground glass would be about $900 - $1,000. Although replacing the ground glass on a Tech V isn't necessarily expensive, it's kind of a PITA to do so I knocked off $100 from what would otherwise be a range of about $1,000 to $1,200. If you look in the completed sales section of ebay you might find actual sales that would be a better indication of value than my guess.

The obvious first thing to find out is how the ground glass was broken. Broken ground glass may be an indication that the camera was dropped or fell off a tripod and would lead me to examine the camera even more carefully than usual, both by eye and by checking all the movements to make sure they work smoothly and that everything locks into place as it should. I'd pay particular attention to the frame that holds the ground glass to make sure it wasn't dented or otherwise damaged when the ground glass was broken. You can buy a replacement ground glass alone and install it yourself for as little as about $20. But if the frame needs to be repaired (or worse yet, replaced) the cost can escalate real fast.

There's no way to place a value on the lenses without knowing more about them (lens brand, shutter brand, condition, etc.). 90mm and 100mm is an odd combination for someone who only has two lenses. Usually there's a bigger difference in focal length than that. I'd ask the seller why he chose those two focal lengths, if he did.

cmmatthews
17-Jul-2010, 17:40
I have been watching Tech V prices over the last couple of months. One on eBay in pretty nice shape just sold for $1200. It had a lens that was cammed.

I just paid $1479 for a nice one with grip, 135mm apo symmar /w cam and a new bellows. For a broken one I would pay no more than $1000 and that was only if the rest of it was in excellent shape.

Albert Lombardi
21-Jul-2010, 19:37
I want to thank Brian Ellis and cmmatthews for their input, it gave me a good base to start with. I went to see the camera and came to an agreement for the two lenses and the camera.
Linhof Technika sn B 511425, broken ground glass, no other obvious damage.
Lense mounted on camera, Rodenstock Sironar -N 150mm 1:5.6
Second lense Rodenstock Grandagon N 1:4.5 90mm

I'm looking forward to getting it fixed and burning some film

Albert

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2010, 03:09
I want to thank Brian Ellis and cmmatthews for their input, it gave me a good base to start with. I went to see the camera and came to an agreement for the two lenses and the camera.
Linhof Technika sn B 511425, broken ground glass, no other obvious damage.
Lense mounted on camera, Rodenstock Sironar -N 150mm 1:5.6
Second lense Rodenstock Grandagon N 1:4.5 90mm

I'm looking forward to getting it fixed and burning some film

Albert

B 511425 is the serial number of a Master Technika made in 1990. So what are you buying?

Albert Lombardi
22-Jul-2010, 04:36
B 511425 is the serial number of a Master Technika made in 1990. So what are you buying?

After thinking about it for a long time (60 seconds) I bought the camera and both lenses.

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2010, 04:43
After thinking about it for a long time (60 seconds) I bought the camera and both lenses.

But is it the Master with black leather and the top flap or a V with a replaced shoe showing the wrong serial number?

Frank Petronio
22-Jul-2010, 05:24
If he got either and those two lenses for $1000 ~ $1500 it doesn't matter, that was an amazing deal. He is a little vague about the price he paid but it implies that the way I read it. If he got a Master then it's just a ridiculous price, you'd want to make sure it isn't "hot".

Bob, why do Linhof and Leica put their camera's serial numbers on, of all places, the shoe? It's an easily swappable part for a thief to change and it really isn't integral to the main camera body.

Albert Lombardi
22-Jul-2010, 05:40
The camera is black with the little flap on top. I realize that the suggested value was for the camera body alone. What I paid for everything is well over the 1000.00 mark.
The camera was sold as military surplus.
I wonder what kind of digital gear they'll be selling off in 5 years?

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2010, 06:30
The camera is black with the little flap on top. I realize that the suggested value was for the camera body alone. What I paid for everything is well over the 1000.00 mark.

You did not buy the V. That camera had grey leather and did not have the top flap. You bought the current model, the Master Technika Classic. Current list price for a new Master Technika Classic in the USA is $9,412.00 so you did OK. Since the gg was broken you should have an authorized service center check the camera to make sure that the shims are still properly set and that all 4 are still there. In any case, your camera is old enough that a CLA is overdue.

Brian Ellis
22-Jul-2010, 06:37

Albert - Your original question was a price range for a Technika V. But it looks like you bought a Master Technika, which is the next generation Technika and on the used market generally sells for considerably more than a Tech V.

A minor correction to Bob's message. Not all Tech Vs were gray. Some came from the factory in black. I owned one and confirmed with the factory that it and others came from the factory that way.

Frank Petronio
22-Jul-2010, 07:11
Current list price for a new Master Technika Classic in the USA is $9,412.00 so you did OK

Most distributors would be mad about missing a sale but Bob actively helps people who buy used cameras. He's a class act and it's people like him that make this forum the best. You won't see other camera manufacturers participate nearly as much or be as helpful.

When that lottery win kicks in and I can splurge on a luxurious new Linhof camera, I'll buy it from him.

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2010, 11:17
Duplicate

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2010, 11:28
Most distributors would be mad about missing a sale but Bob actively helps people who buy used cameras. He's a class act and it's people like him that make this forum the best. You won't see other camera manufacturers participate nearly as much or be as helpful.

When that lottery win kicks in and I can splurge on a luxurious new Linhof camera, I'll buy it from him.

Damn Frank,

Thanks.

Actually getting the correct info out makes less work for us later as it eliminates a bunch of questions that come up after the purchase. Like what model did I actually get?